Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 23rd March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Although not matches in the Cup proper, these 2 friendlies could be very tight affairs. In 1st match Chris perhaps advantage of a more northerly location but Hammer has a little more elevation. 2nd match looks a tight encounter too, Katie might have the edge on elevation but Mark perhaps will be in the heavier ppn for longer, again perhaps too close to call.

FRIENDLIES

Sawbridgeworth (H) (HAMMER) v. Kempston (Beds) (CHRIS MANTLE)

Headington (Ox) (MARK NEAL) v. High Wycombe (Bucks) (KATIE COURT)

Regards,

Tom.

Fancy a friendly on this one Tom?

Or are you still being a sore loser from the 1st round??rofl.gif

Posted

just sneaked in south west thread

ian fergusion said this

Hmmm. Well, we run with 5-10cm parts of Cotswolds by end Saturday and 2cm MOGREPS mean accumulation parts of northern B&NES. Still 30% PROB some further south but this signal now strengthening for London and SE, albeit stronger still to N of London... I'll test that for real going to Herts for weekend....!

also why worry about words like possible and temporary

they cover a lot of angles smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Yes i know what you were saying, i was just referring to TI trying to speak using big words... :)

trying??? I post as i suggest,and certainly dont scope to impress or to cause conflict.if that was assumed that isnt,the case.and i post my meteorlogical knowledge, in this forum, to thus avoid nit picking of the sort.its my personal views.please construct yours more in depth, for reason.!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

At least having rain isnt as bad as having to watch the film lake placid because theres nothing else on TV.

Turn the TV off, put on some music, sorted lol.

Posted

cambs, thats why i'm in this thread!! tease.gif

IF ONLY it were Leeds, ey?! mind you, i've seen more snow this winter between here and there than I have in about 17 of the last 20 winters combined!

LOL your missing out big time, took this a few hours ago and I'm not far from Headingley at 180M

16cm

post-8968-0-21188700-1364000385_thumb.pn

post-8968-0-81747700-1364000403_thumb.pn

pouring it down with snow atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

ian fergusion said this

Hmmm. Well, we run with 5-10cm parts of Cotswolds by end Saturday and 2cm MOGREPS mean accumulation parts of northern B&NES. Still 30% PROB some further south but this signal now strengthening for London and SE, albeit stronger still to N of London... I'll test that for real going to Herts for weekend....!

yes

ian fergusion said this

yes jon as we know, when things are spoken of london(the capital) caution is the order of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

right I'm off to bed my eyes are going all squiffy from staring at the lamp post and watching the wet snow go plop in the puddles on my drive way !

night all angel.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well its on record.

1919 (March/April):

1. A COLD couple of spring months (CET anomalies -1.6C and -0.8C respectively) and one of the WETTEST Marchs over England & Wales (using the EWP series); April had near-average RAINFALL.

2. During March 1919 there were several falls of SNOW in the London area, the heaviest fall being on the 27th with a depth of 23cm noted.

3. In April, the widespread deep SNOWFALL as late as the 27th was most remarkable. It was deepest in the eastern half of England, including the London area, where in many places there was 30 cm of level snow.

69 (March): EMLEY MOOR TV TRANSMITTER MAST COLLAPSE - ICE RELATED

1. During the period 16th to 18th March in 1969 FREEZING RAIN and DRIZZLE caused widespread glazed frost in the Midlands and northern England. Structures and vegetation were damaged and telephone and electric power cables were brought down. On the 19th, a television transmitter mast (about 384m high) on Emley Moor (Yorkshire), near Huddersfield, collapsed: thought (at the time) to be due to the weight of accumulated ice, but later analysis suggests that an unusual oscillation of the retaining stays (due possibly to the uneven ice build-up) in a relatively moderate wind, caused the failure.

2. One of three or four COLDEST Marchs in the 20th century.

"LOSS OF HMS EURYDICE"

On 24th March, 1878, a sudden and severe squall resulted in the sinking of the naval training ship HMS Eurydice, with the loss of all but two of the approximately 368 men aboard. A strong north-to-northwesterly flow affected the British Isles on the SW flank of large/irregular depression centred over southern Scandinavia. A small-scale secondary depression (polar low?) produced a snowy squall-line, as it ran southeastwards during the afternoon, reaching the Isle of Wight area around mid-afternoon (the time/place of the disaster). HMS Eurydice was a full-rigged sailing vessel, homeward bound from the West Indies after a three month training tour on station. At 3.45pm, the ship was off Ventnor (Isle of Wight) running before a nearly westerly wind, with all sail set. Before sail could be shortened, the squall hit, and as the lee ports were open, the ship took on a large quantity of water, filled and capsized. It has been speculated that the crew had been drinking heavily and had not noticed that snow had gathered in the top sails. However, two enquiries (including the formal 'Court Martial') at the time found that the primary cause of the disaster was the abrupt onset of the squall, after a day of fine weather and I find the 'heavy drinking' explanation highly suspect if not downright misleading. One land-based observer noted how the squall was 'double-fronted', with an advance 'blow' masking the main line-squall. This may have led the Captain of the Eurydice to think that he had time to react to a marked change in the conditions. This was regarded at the time as one of the 'greatest disasters that had befallen the British Navy for many years'. ['Weather', Abercromby & Goldie, pp 168 et.seq., & various web sites.]

9-13th March 1891, easterly "blizzard"**. Heavy, fine powdery snow and strong easterly winds raged across SW England, southern England and Wales, with over half a million trees being blown down, as well as a number of telegraph poles. On the 9th (and later?), great snowstorm in the west of England, trains buried for days: E-NE gale, shipwrecks, many lives lost. (Eden notes: 220 people dead; 65 ships foundered in the English Channel; 6000 sheep perished; countless trees uprooted; 14 trains stranded in Devon alone.) Although the West Country was the worst affected, southern England, the Midlands, and south Wales also suffered. snowdrifts were 'huge' around some houses in the London - would be accounted a most remarkable sight nowadays! A man was reported found dead at Dorking, Surrey, while snowdrifts of 3.5 metres were recorded at Dulwich, London and Dartmouth, Devon. At Torquay and Sidmouth, Devon over 30 cm of snow fell.

**This may be the first time in the UK that the word 'blizzard' was used. Thought to derive from a German expression: " Der sturm kommt blitzartig", which translates as "The storm comes/came lightning-like".

1916 (March):

1. A WIDESPREAD SEVERE NORTHERLY GALE (STORM TO SEVERE STORM-FORCE in southeast England) & associated BLIZZARD affected much of East Anglia, the east & south Midlands, parts of Southeast England & the West of England/West Country during the 27th & 28th March, 1916. Large numbers of trees brought down due to combination of wet / sticky SNOW freezing on boughs, and HIGH WINDS/northerly (over eastern areas to at least Beaufort Force 9 or 10, with Kew Observatory reporting Force 11 for a short time early evening of the 28th as the parent low moved NE across SE England and onto the Netherlands by the 29th**). The SNOW set in after nightfall of the 27th, and in some places lasted over 24hr. SNOW depths were difficult to ascertain due to DRIFTING / BLIZZARD-conditions, but some reports of 15-20cm over East Midlands seem credible. 48hr RAIN/SNOW totals in a broad swathe from the Wash / Norfolk, across the northern & far western Home Counties, to Somerset, Devon & Cornwall exceeded 25-30mm, and in the Fens/East Midlands, upwards of 50-60mm fell, with stations in Northamptonshire recording over 70mm for these 48hr. (It was also very WET (mixed RAIN/SNOW here) in Cornwall.) Much DISRUPTION to transport, both road & railway, across the southeastern 'quadrant' of England - also large number of telephone / telegraph lines cut due to weight of snow. At Margate (Kent) much DAMAGE to shop fronts, with Dover recording GUSTS to 75kn. (**lowest PRESSURE estimated for this system 968mbar in Lyme Bay at 0100GMT

Edited by Jason T

Posted

LOL your missing out big time, took this a few hours ago and I'm not far from Headingley at 180M

16cm

post-8968-0-21188700-1364000385_thumb.pn

post-8968-0-81747700-1364000403_thumb.pn

pouring it down with snow atm

haha I know! My other home is in Hyde Park, we've done very well this winter! I've already seen 15cms over there twice, but can't believe I missed the big one thanks to lowly East Anglia!!! Oh well, there are worse things in life to worry about! Great winter snow wise.

Posted

yesyes jon as we know, when things are spoken of london(the capital) caution is the order of the day.

no its ok

i expect this to cover the south east tomorrow afternoon

but i can cover myself by saying croydon could POSSIBLY get 8 inches of snow

if it does i am right

if it dont i am right as well rofl.gif

Posted

no its ok

i expect this to cover the south east tomorrow afternoon

but i can cover myself by saying croydon could POSSIBLY get 8 inches of snow

if it does i am right

if it dont i am right as well rofl.gif

Only in my dreams I think lol, it's been a bad year for settling snow, lot's fallen though, and that's good enough for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

night mark

think im off as well

so goodnight all

same again tomorrow

lazy.gif

Goodnight JP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Oh goodness. I'm photographing a wedding near Chelmsford tomorrow...looks like it'll be my first with snow. There's me thinking it would be one of my December weddings!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Fancy a friendly on this one Tom?

Or are you still being a sore loser from the 1st round??rofl.gif

Only if you're the manager of Maccy D's in Oxford St and not still managing the restaurant on top of the Post Office Tower,

Mind you, you've probably got promotion to the restaurant at the top of The Shard, now!

Cheers,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

post-10773-0-72542700-1363998763_thumb.j

blum.gif

That comes from a Frank Zappa LP of the 70s

"Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow" LOL…

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Snow now looks to be falling as far south as parts of the south Midlands....

post-10773-0-50008200-1363999254_thumb.p

is it me ,or is this turning into the usual ballsup south of brum , its not exactly heavy snow is it ? massively overhyped nonsence i say

Posted

is it me ,or is this turning into the usual ballsup south of brum , its not exactly heavy snow is it ? massively overhyped nonsence i say

It was only ever hyped for the areas where there are amber warnings and I believe Ian f mentioned quite a while ago things would be north, I never listen to people hyping things up here as 9 times out of ten it's a wish rather then reality. However it seems we might be in for some tomorrow and sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Only if you're the manager of Maccy D's in Oxford St and not still managing the restaurant on top of the Post Office Tower,

Mind you, you've probably got promotion to the restaurant at the top of The Shard, now!

Cheers,

Tom.

Nope... Ground level here I can assure you! wink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Occluded front moving further south overnight, much colder air(very cold) pulled across SE/EA(where snow already affecting EA) this turning the rain across the Southeast to snow for many areas through Saturday.

A snow risk map below to give you an image of where i expect the snow to be through Saturday more info later if i have time.

post-11361-0-07827700-1364005786.png

Edit - areas affected shown on my map - a line From Basingstoke-Hampshire, to Basildon-Essex, down into Maidstone-Kent, highest risk of heavy snowfall, and north of that line to include much of London.

Areas of Surrey, possibly east Hampshire , West and East Sussex and other parts of Kent, seeing moderate-lighter snow with some heavy snow possible to, with some accumulations also here.

I expect snow to affect areas around London. The lowest risk of snow accumulations is towards the South coast and into Hampshire(sw)

This is for Saturday only, a new update will be posted for Sunday snow if i have time.

ESS

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Other day i said i won't be doing snow maps! had to go back on that(for now) as i find it easier to draw and show an image, but will also later if i have time say the areas to be affected, just seeing how things go and then later il let you know if i can!