Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 24th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all, below I've tried to reach a messy conclusion to this Snow Depth Cup thingy. If, by some miracle, we get another snow event before the curtain comes down, I propose the winner of the Snow Depth Cup, will be the winner of the Grand Final.

Now its highly unlikely that the winner will have had most accumulated snowfall in the region this season but they would've beaten every opponent put in front of them. Just as in a football cup competition, the team that wins the final, hasnt necessarily scored most goals in the competition.

Now, if we dont have anymore snowfall, I think the Snow Depth Cup should be awarded to the member in the Grand Final that has accumulated most snowfall this season. I want to bring this rather ill-conceived competition to a close, as I'm going to be very busy in the next few weeks with moving, work and other "stuff", in my personal life.

I've been a very silly boy though and havnt kept a record of where each result post is in the threads, throughout the winter. Could one of you lovely people out there give me a rough idea when each of this winters snow events finished. That would be much appreciated as I could then work out the accumulated snowfall totals, far more quickly. Of course if you guys/gal, Essexgooner, Snowbob and Lottiekent, have kept a running total, even better!

Hope my posting of draws/results and references to the Snow Depth Cup hasnt detracted from anyones enjoyment in these threads, in whats been an incredibly prolonged season, with the usual rollercoaster of emotions that we experience in these winter season threads.

Thanks again for your cooperation in getting your depths to me, although its been a pain at times, its been a timely distraction to a lot of "crazy stuff", going on in my personal life at the moment.

A bit later, I'll post some thoughts for an idea I've had for a fairer format, for next season.

GRAND FINAL

Little Wakering (E) (ESSEXGOONER) v Addington (Sur) (SNOWBOB) v Folkestone (LOTTIEKENT)

4th RND REPLAYS

Dartford (KENTSPUR) v.Swanley (K) (SNOWBLUES)

N.W.Kent (LAUREN) v.Bexleyheath (K) (SNOW RAVEN)

4th RND

Barnet (H) (SUBURBAN STREAMER) v Ongar (E) (JO S) v Northwood (L) (BLUEBREEZER54)

FRIENDLY GRAND FINAL

Kempston (Beds) (CHRIS MANTLE) v High Wycombe (Bucks) (KATIE COURT) v West Ipswich (Suf) (CHRIS101)

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Office very cold this morning too. I guess being east facing and the office not being heated over the weekend doesn't help. :(

Not certain how much credence to give the GEM model but what an amazingly cold run for the time of year right out to day 10. Looking at 2nd April which could well be more blizzards LOL. deep into FI though but wow what a chart!

http://www.meteociel...ode=0&archive=0

Yes, for all the wanting I now have for a warm spell, this is a spectacular cold spell for the time of year, so has a lot of interest for me as a student of weather. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Models are showing the precipitation breaking up before it moves in which signals the strength of the cold block. It means it stays dry with a few show showers which is quite boring in my opinion, the notable thing though will be the cold. Bear in mind that there could be other chances of the Atlantic breaking through. However this isn't done and dusted yet of course!!

Posted

Office very cold this morning too. I guess being east facing and the office not being heated over the weekend doesn't help. sad.png

13°C in our office at the moment as it's on timer and goes off at the weekend. Unfortunately we don't have access to the controls. I don't mind cold, but my fingers are freezing up dry.png

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just some thoughts below, for a snow depth competition next season.

When I thought of the idea, at the start of winter, I pretty much cobbled it together, next winter though I'd hope to come up with a fairer format. Perhaps a number of leagues based on the alphabet, so that you dont have near neighbours recording the same depth, so you would have a bit of variety in depths.

E.g, Brentford, Brighton and Bromley could end up in the same league, Southend, South Norwood and Stevenage in another,and so on. **Members from the same town, would be placed in different leagues, just as in the football Champions League, where teams from the same country aren't drawn together.**

If we were lucky enough to get a few snow events next winter again, you perhaps could accumulate your snow depth for early to mid-winter, on a league basis, then have the members with the 2 greatest depths play-off for the final or even have the top 4 go through to semifinals/final, in the latter stages of winter!

Its something for me to ponder, while those t/storms are cracking away, in the summer! help.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Any news on the band of precip slipping south?

Yeah, it's too slow and has almost nothing left, it needs to do one and let convection start like those showers further north.

Posted

I can deal with the cold, the snow (or lack of it locally) no problem. But I'm really, really missing the sun and after the dire year last year, I'm desperate for a real Summer this year.

post-6667-0-95941900-1364206357.gif

Just at the mouth of the estuary here in greenhithe & things look a bit darker & grey- The radar indicating a few showers heading this way-

Its early days yet- However I think there will be a few flurries today-

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I can deal with the cold, the snow (or lack of it locally) no problem. But I'm really, really missing the sun and after the dire year last year, I'm desperate for a real Summer this year.

Yes, too right. I don't think I've seen the Sun, since I came back from Fuerteventura 9 days ago! Slightly hopeful of an appearance this afternoon though. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just some thoughts below, for a snow depth competition next season.

When I thought of the idea, at the start of winter, I pretty much cobbled it together, next winter though I'd hope to come up with a fairer format. Perhaps a number of leagues based on the alphabet, so that you dont have near neighbours recording the same depth, so you would have a bit of variety in depths.

E.g, Brentford, Brighton and Bromley could end up in the same league, Southend, South Norwood and Stevenage in another,and so on. **Members from the same town, would be placed in different leagues, just as in the football Champions League, where teams from the same country aren't drawn together.**

If we were lucky enough to get a few snow events next winter again, you perhaps could accumulate your snow depth for early to mid-winter, on a league basis, then have the members with the 2 greatest depths play-off for the final or even have the top 4 go through to semifinals/final, in the latter stages of winter!

Its something for me to ponder, while those t/storms are cracking away, in the summer! help.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Oxford would probably be in a league of its own :p

Posted

Yes, too right. I don't think I've seen the Sun, since I came back from Fuerteventura 9 days ago! Slightly hopeful of an appearance this afternoon though. smile.png

Needs to do something. I can dress up warm for cold, wear appropriate clothing and drive/not drive etc for snow, but how can you respond or prepare yourself for a lack of sunshine? Staring at a bright light or sitting under a lamp isn't the same. I'd love to be able to bottle sunshine and sell it on the forum!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Needs to do something. I can dress up warm for cold, wear appropriate clothing and drive/not drive etc for snow, but how can you respond or prepare yourself for a lack of sunshine? Staring at a bright light or sitting under a lamp isn't the same. I'd love to be able to bottle sunshine and sell it on the forum!

https://encrypted-tb...F78_EnX62VaqdFA (That link is safe btw!)

Edited by Mark Neal.

Guest bjaykent

Even as a confirmed snow lover, the length of this winter is making me yearn for this.

post-16390-0-31342500-1364207187_thumb.j

Posted

Does Eastbourne still hold the Sunniest Town award..?? I remember when I lived and worked there it did..?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What's the latest on mid-week's possible snow showers, chaps?

Edited by Rybris Ponce

Guest bjaykent

Did I say slight warm up for Easter on GFS0z, disappeared on 6z which now looks very cold with some possible snow around! This would tie up more with the BBC forecasts I have heard this morning on the radio with warnings of snow over Easter.

http://www.meteociel...tions-hd/3h.htm

Edited by bjaykent

Posted

Does Eastbourne still hold the Sunniest Town award..?? I remember when I lived and worked there it did..?

It still does and maybe that's why I'm missing it so much:

http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/sunshine/

Posted

13°C in our office at the moment as it's on timer and goes off at the weekend. Unfortunately we don't have access to the controls. I don't mind cold, but my fingers are freezing up dry.png

im at home on holiday its bone chilling here at the moment

Posted

From looking at the models etc I would doubt the snow will make it further than the SW over the weekend. It may just clip the south coast / far SE again but I think France will get it. 06Z is worst case scenario as there is no snowy breakdown and the cold just gradualy lifts

Whatever the synoptics do the weather will warm up in the next few weeks and make snow almost impossible so lets hope for 1 last dump next weekend