Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 24th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Just at the mouth of the estuary here in greenhithe & things look a bit darker & grey- The radar indicating a few showers heading this way-

Its early days yet- However I think there will be a few flurries today-

S

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/maps?bg=0&type=rain-snow-sleet

lot of showers in the south end and kent area at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What's the latest on mid-week's possible snow showers, chaps?

Snow showers becoming more frequent through Wednesday in the East and again on Thursday/Friday, Pete!

post-15543-0-33499200-1364208891_thumb.g

post-15543-0-90166600-1364208895_thumb.g

Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted

Also of note on this GFS 6z run, is the band of snow moving in from the East on Saturday, as the front to the SW makes little progress ;-)

post-15543-0-49352000-1364209067_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

I can deal with the cold, the snow (or lack of it locally) no problem. But I'm really, really missing the sun and after the dire year last year, I'm desperate for a real Summer this year.

post-6667-0-95941900-1364206357.gif

Oh so agree with you there. I do love the snow, but its enough already. Im going to Sherwood Centre Parcs in the second week in April. I thought its bound to be warmer and more springlike then but now im not so sure....grr

Posted

Warnings of snow and cold by sky. Mmm? I shalln't get too excited, much like Saturday, plenty of snow further north yet we had a wet sprinkling.

More cold and cloud maybe with a wet sprinkling at best to potentially look forward to so lots to look forward here not.

Please excuse me whilst I refrain from getting too excited. The cold with lovely blue skies or snow and it's all good, cold and cloud however, is not good especially in March.

I was in Norway this Jan and I kid you not I experienced more hours of sunshine during that time than I have since I returned :o we must below average by quite some margin?

Edited by rmc1987

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Also of note on this GFS 6z run, is the band of snow moving in from the East on Saturday, as the front to the SW makes little progress ;-)

Hi Mark,

How are you?

5 Headington (Ox) (MARK NEAL) v. High Wycombe (Bucks) (KATIE COURT) 6.4

I thought it would be a close run thing between you and Katie, possibly her elevation, just swung it for her.

No, I'd make sure alphabetically, you'd have some opponents in a Group Phase (Champions League style) scenario, if members are interested, next winter!

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
First a white Easter - then the heatwave? Snow and ice set to last all week but sunshine could be next

Authorities have warned drivers and pedestrians to be aware of black ice

Freezing weather conditions are continuing to cause disruption today as forecasters predicted that icy temperatures and snow showers could last right up until Easter Day. Many roads across Britain remain impassable and thousands of homes are still without power after heavy snow and blizzard conditions deluged the UK over the weekend. Authorities have warned drivers and pedestrians to be aware of the possibility of black ice during the morning commute.

Forecasters have also warned that there is no immediate end to the icy conditions in sight with the cold weather and snow expected to last into the weekend. Despite an end to the heavy snow, forecasters say the severe weather could return on Good Friday. The current forecast suggests that Britain could experience its first white Easter in five years. But despite the continuing disruption forecasters have said the weather pattern bringing icy conditions to the UK could next month provide the country with higher-than-average temperatures - with some reports claiming Britain could be hit by a heatwave towards the end of spring.

The three-month forecast from the Met Office states that the freezing conditions in Britain are being caused by a so-called 'blocking pattern' of high pressure bringing in cold winds from Scandinavia. The forecast suggests that if the blocking pattern were to shift slightly south it could bring "warmer-than-average conditions to northern Europe and the UK." for now, though, several thousand households in Scotland remain without electricity today, down from a peak of about 18,000. The isle of Arran and parts of the south-west mainland of Scotland were particularly badly hit by power cuts on Friday.

Blizzard conditions also lashed Northern Ireland, where emergency oxygen supplies had to be airlifted to an elderly man who was trapped by heavy snow. Meanwhile, in Northern Ireland customers were warned that it could be days before electricity was restored to homes, as the bad weather looked set to continue. Hundreds of people in Cumbria also remain without power. At least two deaths are thought to have been connected to the cold weather.

A man found dead in deep snow after he started walking home in severe weather was named by police. The body of Gary Windle, 25, was found by a farmer in Brierfield, near Burnley, Lancs, at around 1.30pm on Saturday.

Severe weather is also thought to have led to the death of a woman in Cornwall on Friday. The woman, named locally as Susan Norman, died when her house in Looe, Cornwall, collapsed during a landslip following torrential rain. North East Wales was badly hit by snow over the weekend, with up to 6,000 homes in Denbighshire left without electricity after trees brought down power lines. According to reports this morning a family with a baby trapped in a hillside farm near Corwen were forced to burn furniture to keep warm after they were marooned without power.

The Met Office still has sweeping yellow weather warnings in place across Wales, central and northern England and southern Scotland, advising of the danger of ice. The warning said: "Lying snow in many areas will melt on roads and pavements by day, refreezing by night to give icy patches. "The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel due to icy patches and snow blowing back onto roads."

Andy Ratcliffe, a forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather division for the Press Association, said: "Today the snow will be mainly confined to the east of Scotland and north-east England where there will be a dusting, but nothing significant. "Elsewhere there will be some snow showers but nothing like the accumulations we've seen over the last few days and it will remain very cold and breezy. "Into the week there will be more scattered snow flurries but there is potential for more widespread snow returning at the end of the week."

http://www.independe...xt-8547861.html

Widespread in our region????? :unsure:

Posted

rather ironic that the wind is prefect to drive any convection from the estuary across london but the instability just isnt there

Posted

5inches unlucky? That's incredible for coastal location in the channel and more than we've had all winter

Lol,well the channel islands got over a ft so 5 inches didn't seem much in comparison.

If that gem chart comes off then we would all be plastered.

Cant believe how cold it is outside.This would be notable for early January,but for late March it's insane

Posted

Hi Mark,

How are you?

5 Headington (Ox) (MARK NEAL) v. High Wycombe (Bucks) (KATIE COURT) 6.4

I thought it would be a close run thing between you and Katie, possibly her elevation, just swung it for her.

No, I'd make sure alphabetically, you'd have some opponents in a Group Phase (Champions League style) scenario, if members are interested, next winter!

Regards,

Tom.

Yep, can't even win friendly matches now help.gif

Sounds good for the Snow Depth Cup next year!

Posted

Have you seen the latest advert from Lidl...outside furniture,BBQ stuff.... I think their buyer should have delayed the advertising a week or two LOL All I can say it will make the garden Easter egg hunt hard for the kids when they are buried under snowrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

Have you seen the latest advert from Lidl...outside furniture,BBQ stuff.... I think their buyer should have delayed the advertising a week or two LOL All I can say it will make the garden Easter egg hunt hard for the kids when they are buried under snowrofl.gif

Easter Egg hunt in the snow would be so brilliant, an Easter the kids wont forget.good.gif

Posted

Right, this is no good at all. A tonic is required!

Bring your face right up to your screen or monitor and play this HD clip:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

I don't recognise what that big yellow thing is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

This looks very bright, is it one of them UFO's people keep talking about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't recognise what that big yellow thing is!

Yuri Geller's secret hideout?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Cloudy, Warm (Not Hot) Winter: Thundersnow

Ouch!!! I've just bumped my nose on the monitor screen!

Posted

Nice to see the sun just make a cameo appearance on this cold late march afternoon :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Wish I got paid to give out advice like this, the very same people that said snow would be a thing of the past in the UK 15 years ago. About as convincing as the GFS weather model imo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21357520

In English normal UK weather will continue. As if draught flooding and storms are new to us. I just wish the weather would let the west country recover for a bit. The indipendent artical posted earlier sounds perfect for that.