Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Really chilly here this morning at -7c with broken cloud. Spoke to my sowing contractor yesterday to say that we plan to try and start sowing in the middle of April as ground is too cold just now. He told me other farmers are saying the same but he is hoping some on warmer sandy ground will start before then to help spread his workload.

How does that compare to previous years?

-3C overnight, now up to 4C in the sun, plenty hot water now if anyone wants to pop round to do the washing upph34r.pngunsure.png

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Clouded up totally here now but no precipitation. Wind in the NE which is generally not good for Perth.

Thanks for those charts Lorenzo. Not ready for Spring yet as I just haven't had my Winter snow fix yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

After a clear night the cloud has moved in and brought showers. Mostly light but the last one was moderate and briefly heavy and left a temporary covering.

That is now 12 consecutive days with snowfall here.

Edit. back on again now.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Brief flurry earlier but it's been mostly dry here with good spells of sun. Managed 8.5 hours of sun yesterday! Currently 4c.

Posted

How does that compare to previous years? We had everything sown and rolled by the 24th of March 2012 a week before the 2nd April 2012 10 inches of snow but an average date would be the last few days of March/ first few days of April

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Bone dry for the next 10 days too.

Ground still very cold but it is drying out. We will not need to worry about drought for at least 6 weeks maybe longer as it was ploughed in the autumn and has a fantastic tilth now with all the frost. Our slightly clay soils are very moisture retentive unlike the sands bordering the coastal strip round the Firth.

Posted

BBC reporting 'nudging' 10C in western isles - factoid or fiction?

I think it reached around 9ºC in Skye today. I suspect that it is going to be another cold one tonight

Posted

After a cold start (even had a snow pellet shower at half 9) it's turned out not a too bad day with the sun it's not been too bad at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I think it reached around 9ºC in Skye today. I suspect that it is going to be another cold one tonight

Yeah I can find 8.6C at 14:00 in Portree as highest. Not bad at all but I suspect not typical - here we got 5C max.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

We maxed here at 3.6C today.

In the afternoon sunshine it actually felt quite warm when out walking the dog. Skies had cleared following the morning snow showers as the winds moved a bit more towards a Northerly direction.

Back to ENE now with a few clouds appearing. Temp 2.0C and falling.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Top of Winnats Pass - Castleton to Peak Forest road..

post-12319-0-13310500-1364585858_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Top of Winnats Pass - Castleton to Peak Forest road..

Wonderful P.M!.

Posted

Wonderful P.M!.

Yes isn't it just T.M, Some places are still buried in snow and need digging out. Lot's of back lanes here ie- the road from Middleton to Elton past the cheese factory to is still blocked wall to wall, the road past Robin Hoods Stride, the back road to Moorstone, Moor Lane, and many more are still full of snow, And i can't forget the lane to my drive, the drifts are so compacted and the lane so narrow that the walls start collapsing when any attempt is made, I may have a to use the fields for access for some time.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Showers seem to be picking up again of the east coast.

Already had a few graupel showers giving a light dusting.

0.2 C.

Posted

A week in Scottish spring, or how to overdose on snow.

Saturday, wild, windy and snowy up the Ochils.

post-8494-0-85226700-1364593694_thumb.jp

Sunday, still windy so hid in the woods with some boys building fires and shelter from the weather, no snow on the ground but plenty in the air.

post-8494-0-54725400-1364593781_thumb.jp

Monday, up to the coe for a wonderful day experiencing a varied mix of weather and snow conditions.

post-8494-0-49287300-1364593885_thumb.jp

Tuesday, to the the Shee for one of the best days Scottish boarding ever.

post-8494-0-56609300-1364593924_thumb.jp

Wednesday, a walk in Callander woods, a few flakes and some pleasant sun.

post-8494-0-61441200-1364593998_thumb.jp

Thursday, a wander up a snowy mountain, with added (brief) sun and the reminder that powder snow is easier to slide down than walk up!

post-8494-0-18100500-1364594175_thumb.jp

And Friday, a return to the Ochils with the wee man to play in the still copious quantites of snow and sun.

post-8494-0-04927200-1364594253_thumb.jp

post-8494-0-28627100-1364594277_thumb.jp

Off to Glenshee for tomorrow and Sunday so guess I'll come across some more snow there.

Posted

Guess what?

It is snowing. Fairly light just now. The showers did show up well on the radar. Looks like quite a few showers out in the North Sea moving South West towards the coast.

Posted

Every day just now feels like the last cold snap of winter in April with snow showers to the NE over the North Sea the only difference being that they are heading towards and not away from us as is usual with a northerly toppler. Its already -4c here tonight and the intensity and persistence of the cold is really strange. It appears we will make it to April without a single flowering daffodil that in itself backs up my assertion that in my back yard the seasons have been cooling and not warming in the last 6 years. If this is all down to a southerly tracking meandering Jetstream then ironically food production in the developed world is under more threat than food production in the underdeveloped world due to extremes of weather in the developed world.

Edited by Northernlights