Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 28th March 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Another morning starting off at -5c a bit of cloud cover though this morning. Finding that all my contacts who are centrally heated office/home based think this weather is marvellous. All I see is brown frosted grass, frozen soils and expensive extra feeding for the livestock. A feed merchant I spoke to yesterday is rubbing his hands with glee. However a builder I spoke to concurs with me that this has been a very long cold winter with many frequent overnight frosts that have prevented him from doing a lot of cement or concreting work

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Another post I like for the information NL, but don't like in terms of the costs you mention. I think the majority of folks will also not be looking forward to their energy bills for Q1 2013.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Snow!!!!!

Well, OK, it was about 30 secs of heavy, small diameter graupel on my way to work this morning. Other than that brief excitement, this morning brings a cold start to the day (0 dec at 9am), a thin layer of white cloud with the odd blue spot showing through. Bright but not what you could call sunny.

The weekend wasn't bad. In no way could it have been called warm but it was generally bright, often sunny, and felt not too bad if you were in the sun. Kemnays covering of snow lasted long enough to kill the kids football on both Sat & Sun I think, and even if it had cleared the frost would have probably piled in to deny the use of the pitches anyway. Most of it didn't survive past Monday though and we're now left with just the remnants in shaded places, where it's been piled up or where it drifted to a decent depth. The hills in the background still look snowy, but a lot less white than they looked a few days ago.

Kind of looking forward to the "mild mush" when it comes, as long as it doesn't come with too much rain attached!

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Another post I like for the information NL, but don't like in terms of the costs you mention. I think the majority of folks will also not be looking forward to their energy bills for Q1 2013.

Just paid our electric, good job I have a working wife.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Wow not really weather related, but only just heard of this..

Huge hill fire tackled near Fort William in the Highlands

_66703921_bgysjh3cyaaw84c.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-21999542

Posted

A cloudier day than yesterday after a bright start. I think there may have been a few snow flakes earlier although I'm not absolutely sure. Glasgow airport recorded a low of -5C which is the joint coldest April temperature since 1973, and colder than January's minimum temperature. In Braemar, last night the temperature dropped to around -11C, which has to be the coldest April temperature for many, many years and a value colder than February's low of -10C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

A cloudier day than yesterday after a bright start. I think there may have been a few snow flakes earlier although I'm not absolutely sure. Glasgow airport recorded a low of -5C which is the joint coldest April temperature since 1973, and colder than January's minimum temperature. In Braemar, last night the temperature dropped to around -11C, which has to be the coldest April temperature for many, many years and a value colder than February's low of -10C.

Some light rain earlier in Aberdeen.

Below satellite pic courtesy of Dundee University. Seems very sunny almost everywhere else than our corner.

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17979-satellite-image-2413/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Cloud today from late morning after a sunny and stunningly beautiful start. Heavy frost after a clear and starlit night. Got to drive back down south this evening unfortunately. The weather in East Ayrshire has been lovely since Friday with snowdrifts still in place all over Fenwick and Eaglesham moors, which the daily sun hasn't yet managed to shift. I shall miss my home in this quiet part of Scotland very much! Looking forward to a bit more warmth in a month when next home.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I think I've had enough of the cold now, as fascinating as the synoptics have been,

could be very cold Friday....all the way from the arctic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Skies clearing here just now after a cloudy and still cool day. Was up in Perthshire today where I saw a number of newborn lambs in fields still partially snow covered. They should cope with the cool conditions as long as it stays dryish.

Up in the hills by the A827 I could see Loch na Craig fully frozen and snow covered. There were tracks right across it at one bit. Not usually to be recommended in April. Back down at my mums only a couple of small patches left in the garden.

Not a bad day to be out and about. Current temp here 4C. Mostly clear skies. Missed an air frost this morning due to the cloud but only just with a min of 0.1C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

-3C & clear at home, was up to 0C when I got to the north coast at 9; a mix of patchy cloud and deep blue skies all the way: I was outside most of the day and my face knows it. No lambs here yet. Plenty of frozen ground and snow patches down to low level, also some icy bulges in places that look like they've been growing for weeks. Oh yeah, and a Small Tortoiseshell too... blink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Took a wee hike just out of town up to Balerno earlier today..it's still winter up there, even got clipped by a decent 20 minute snow shower. Spring will come as it always does, but these pictures still tell the same story for a large area of inland-upland Scotland.

post-9506-0-23804900-1364933164_thumb.jp

post-9506-0-62040300-1364933194_thumb.jp

Took a wee hike just out of town up to Balerno earlier today..it's still winter up there, even got clipped by a decent 20 minute snow shower. Spring will come as it always does, but these pictures still tell the same story for a large area of inland-upland Scotland.

Nice pictures by-tor, quite similar scenes round here still, although the land looked speckled rather than completely white for the first time in over two weeks on the way home tonight. Currently -2.2ºC and steadily falling; we even had another very light snow shower earlier this evening.

Posted

Been a nice enough day if a little cloudy, but still feeling very raw in the breeze. Car said it was 5C when oot at lunch, but clear skies now and dropped below freezing again.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

-5 or -6 here overnight judging my local minimum temps at Edi Airport, brilliantly clear start to the day and a decent frost in place. Very pleasant evening last night, felt actually a lot warmer as the sun went down the air had lost that frozen bite it has been carrying for the last 7-10 days.

The models are now tentatively moving to a consensus around this LP system rolling in and the UK trough solution, beyond that a UK high is potentially on the cards, so after a bit of wilder and wetter weather perhaps something to look forward to mid month as this cold is left behind.

All in FI at present though and a Northerly to entertain also before getting there. This from the 00z GFS run at 216 then 252 hrs shows quite a quick change within 1.5 days.

post-7292-0-60818500-1364969514_thumb.pn post-7292-0-61810100-1364969520_thumb.pn

Time to defrost the car again.. Brrrrr !

Posted

As above around -5c overnight here. Beautiful morning. If the alternative is milder but wet I'd much prefer we kept this. Any know what coldest April temp is here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

What sort of Met Office twerp wrote 'feeling pleasant in the sun'?

OK, I wrote that cos we have an almost completely featureless layer of stratus this morning; at least I don't have to scape the car...

Currently -3ºC after a low of -4.2ºC, a hard frost for any time of year let alone for April. Unlike HC we have scattered cloud and sunshine, you don't have much luck with the weather HC?! :(

Posted

Another glorious morning and a much sunnier afternoon so far other than a few passing clouds. A very cold night with a low of -6C at Glasgow airport - which I believe is the coldest April temperature there from the available records. Amazing!

Posted

Could be marginal snow event on Sunday night...but not holding my breath!

Posted

http://www.metoffice...te/uk/datasets/

March 2013 has come in with a mean temperature of 1.3C, making it the joint 5th coldest March on record in Scotland and the coldest since 1962 and makes the top 10 coldest months of the past 25 years. Another acolade to the new post 2008 era of winters. A shame it wasn't a sub 1C month but it was a truly interesting and enjoyable month to experience. Let's hope that the rest of this year can produce more great months for weather - preferably of a warm and sunny variety between now and September - aswell as next winter delivering the goods oncemore.

The mean maximum was 4.1C - the fourth coldest on record - mean minimum of -1.5C. Only 87.9hrs of sunshine. 6th driest on record with only 49.5mm of rainfall. 20.1 days with an air frost.

For Scotland N:

Maximum: 4.3C

Minimum: -1.5C

Mean: 1.4C

Sunshine: 96.9hrs

Rainfall: 36.8mm

Air frosts: 19.6 days

Scotland E:

Maximum: 3.4C

Minimum: -2.1C

Mean: 0.7C

Sunshine: 76.8hrs