Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

March 2013 How incredible was it for you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Cold, plentiful frost but only very small amounts of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Not much snow in Newcastle, but I was in Cumbria two weeks ago when that frontal snow event occurred. I hadn't really seen a proper blizzard with as much drifting since March 2006 so I'd say that made this month incredible for me. Also last Wednesday I was in edinburgh and there was an inch or so lying on the south side of the city. The longetivity of the cold has been amazing of course.

Posted

yes the drifting snow in Cumbria was certainly a feature, and near Keswick the following day even when not snowing visibility was no more than about 100 metres at times as it blew off the fields. houses etc looked like some old time photos of blizzards many years ago, walls and windows and doors all plastered with snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Temperature wise - Yes it has been quite a remarkable month. I certainly don't remember a March where cold has been so prolonged in my short 23 years of being alive.

Snow wise - None here but seeing the drifts up North has certainly been an impressive sight to see, if rather troublesome for many.

Weather wise IMBY - Mostly dull throughout with keen biting wind, with the odd days of brighter sunnier weather poking through. *Yawn* but then again we don't need rain at the moment here so I shouldn't complain. Patiently waiting for the convective season to start kicking off in full motion, so I can chase thundery lows in FI.

Posted

March was incredible temperature wise but from a IMBY perspective it was rather disappointing for snowfall. I largely missed out on the snowfalls when the south coast got pasted on the 12th but did get a moderate fall early on the 23rd. Probably won't see another March as cold in my lifetime though.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

In years to come i will look back on March as a notable month for statistical interest. But as a month to live through and cope with it ranks second only to the disastrous summer of 2007 as the most unpleasant period of weather i can recall. I will be glad to see the back of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Incredibly cold, incredibly dull, with a constant nagging wind...

Posted

It is hard to compare the March of 2013 with past cold Marches because the outstanding feature of March 2013 is just how cold the second half was. March 2013 never warmed up! So many past notably cold Marches warmed up at some stage in the final stretch. March 1947 had a foundation, it came after the frigid snow covered February, it hit the ground running, it collapsed mid month. The March of 2013 never got going until almost after a third of month had passed! The CET daily mean last recorded a value above 3 on the 19th of March! Remarkable for the time of the year.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Nationally, a very remarkable month.

For me though it was mostly cold and grey with only one snow fall that actually settled - and that only very briefly. Some good frosts though, making up a little for the poor winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not as spectacular here as in some other parts of the country but nevertheless a much colder than average March with much more snowfall than average considering the proximity to the coast.

Mean Max was 4.2. Mean Min 0.2. Overall 2.1C.

Days with snow falling 16. Sleet 1. Lying snow 8. Partial cover 7.

Air frost 12 days. Ground frost 11 days.

Not far inland [even within the city] and with just a little more altitude the snow lying days were significantly higher.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Had snow falling numerous times in the form of showers,with some snowcover on 5 mornings however most of the snow always melted by early afternoon on each occasion.

Coldest temp i recorded was -3.0c,might have recorded lower if more nights had been clear but the nights were often cloudy here due to the east wind and living near the east coast of Ireland although that meant i did get the snow showers. I recorded 7 airfrosts which is the same number i recorded during the whole of winter itself.