Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 12th April 2013 13:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please use this thread for your discussions about the current weather or what is being forecast for the next few days in the South East and East Anglia...

Link to the previous one….

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76285-south-east-east-anglia-regional-discussion-4th-april-2013-onwards/page-40

Posted

Shopping is the best distraction for me during the daytime when there are proper storms about. The odd rumble is no problem. Its the night time that is most difficultsmile.png

I still find night time storms difficult and whenever lightning or the thunder wakes me up, I do have that heart stopping moment of fear following by flinging the covers back and dashing over to the light switch. 

I then stay awake with the light on until the storm as passed - much to the annoyance of the other half and anyone who happens to meets me the next day after I've been deprived of my beauty sleep girl_devil.gif

Posted

Had a torrential downpour here with hailstones, nice to see some old fashioned April Showers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

2 rumbles of thunder at London Southbank :good:

heard one from Lewisham couple mins ago!

Posted

OK, third attempt to post, hoping it works this time. My son (13 with aspergers) always loves me to take him all dressed up in his 'wet weather gear' for an adventure in wet and woolly woodlands on days like this. The question I worry about on thundery days - are we in danger and what can I do to reduce this - eg do wellies earth us? Any informed help much appreciated - and yes, he too is an extreme weather nut....

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Nice pea-sized hailstorm here in SE25, no thunder heard yet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

OK, third attempt to post, hoping it works this time. My son (13 with aspergers) always loves me to take him all dressed up in his 'wet weather gear' for an adventure in wet and woolly woodlands on days like this. The question I worry about on thundery days - are we in danger and what can I do to reduce this - eg do wellies earth us? Any informed help much appreciated - and yes, he too is an extreme weather nut....

Not wishing to dampen your sons enthusiasm, but on days such as today with unpredictable sferics the last thing I would be doing is walking through a woodland!

Wellies would not protect you in the event of a 'direct hit', the huge amount of current would defeat them easily. Also, being close to trees in the event of a strike leads to a problem not of electrocution but that of being impaled by splinters of wood as the sap within the tree is superheated and causes the tree to explode!!

HTH?

Posted

Very heavy rain and dark clouds coming through sporadically here in Surbiton; not sure if I heard thunder mixed in. That's going to be an interesting trip to the woods this afteroon:)

Posted

heard one from Lewisham couple mins ago!

I wasn't sure if it was thunder on the first rumble as we also have a lot of noise outside from workmen, however, the 2nd rumble confirmed it was thunder.  Just had around 20 minutes of sunshine, which has helped to bubble those clouds up again...  hope to hear a few more rumbles... and maybe even a flash of ligtning this time to boot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nice pea-sized hailstorm here in SE25, no thunder heard yet though.

That's mighty small storm, Nick...blum.gif

Edited by Rybris Ponce

Posted

Not wishing to dampen your sons enthusiasm, but on days such as today with unpredictable sferics the last thing I would be doing is walking through a woodland!

Wellies would not protect you in the event of a 'direct hit', the huge amount of current would defeat them easily. Also, being close to trees in the event of a strike leads to a problem not of electrocution but that of being impaled by splinters of wood as the sap within the tree is superheated and causes the tree to explode!!

HTH?

Ooh yuk don't like the sound of any of that:( Might need to talk him out of it today, although not sure the park is any better as a substitute...

Posted

That's mighty small storm, Nick...blum.gif

Lol, a token rumble of thunder as it clears away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No thunder here yet, but convection is building...It's good to be able to stand outside without freezing to death!

Posted

The potential for this area has all but faded in the last couple of hours but this live London webcam is worth bookmarking.

http://www.thechelseatile.com/chelsea-river-thames-london-webcam.html

Edited by Bluebreezer54

Posted

Roll of thunder here in Surbiton, very dark skies to the west.

Posted

Roll of thunder here in Surbiton, very dark skies to the west.

Hi Reef

Just been for a walk with youngest and dog on Reigate Heath. At the high point by the windmill that contains a working church we stopped and looked north over the valley up to the North Downs, Betchworth and east of there towards Colley Hill. We could see lines of showers traversing the ridge west to east, swathes of rain grey against the brighter skies behind like a base layer wash of a watercolour. As we watched we were startled by a full-blown lightning strike, a vivid magnesium-burn white streak that dazzled even in broad daylight. The sound of the thunder rolled across the valley and then despite watching for another 15 minutes, the grey wash showers continued peacefully on their journeys. Arrived home to bright skies and yet within 5 minutes the sky had filled in, dark slate grey, and then it began to hail.

Sure knocks frigid dry easterlies into a (rain) hat....

AS