Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Longest lasting snow over in England?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

hillybillyCan I ask a favour please?When you post is it possible to do it in sentences, full stops, commas etc, as it is quite hard to read your posts without these.sorry if it offends but thanks if you can?John

You are right my english is slipping,probably too many years of texting and as i have always had manual jobs i don't get chance to write much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Still one or two small patches visible on Holme Moss, might try and get out and about tomorrow, see just how much there really is.

Posted

Lakeland patches have had a wee top up. Heavy hail shower followed by heavy snow has left a covering above 500 metres. Helvellyn looking very wintry.

Posted

could still see a few patches on hollme moss today

Posted

Lakeland patches have had a wee top up. Heavy hail shower followed by heavy snow has left a covering above 500 metres. Helvellyn looking very wintry.

Yes there were some potent snow showers over the fells yesterday. A heavy shower in the evening left a covering of snow down to about 300 metres - temperatures dropped like a stone thanks to a very high lapse rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

My son cycled the High Peak Trail today as part of a longer ride around the southern Peak District and, contrary to a report I received last week from someone else, reliably reports that there was one small piece of snow left in Hoe Grange cutting, measuring about a foot square by a few inches deep.

He estimates it will probably last into tomorrow, or possibly tomorrow night, before completely melting.

Posted

no snow visible on buckstones above m62.good patches still visible on lakeland hills and large patches on cross fell and surrounding areas,not sure they will make june?

Posted

Taken this afternoon, last bits on the Cleveland Hills, near Ingleby Greenhow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Great minds think alike 4wd !!! As it was 1st May I thought I'd snap the last remaining bit on Holme Moss. I think this is by far the latest I've seen any snow on Holme Moss, (mind you I've only been here since 2000). Quite surprising as it's not even 2000 ft high, .

post-2239-0-74191000-1367492698_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Great minds think alike 4wd !!! As it was 1st May I thought I'd snap the last remaining bit on Holme Moss. I think this is by far the latest I've seen any snow on Holme Moss, (mind you I've only been here since 2000). Quite surprising as it's not even 2000 ft high, .

Posted Image01052013_1.jpg

Is there also a tiny bit to the left of the mast ( above the bright green field about an inch in from the left of the photo) and at about the same level as the more obvious drift, or is it something else? 

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

After wiping my laptop screen just to make sure, you could be correct TM. Unless It's a lost sheep..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

still a small patch on holme moss this morning may only have a few days left,have to get closer to see now

Posted

visible from m6 lakeland fells have fresh snow on the tops today with a few remaining patches from march.very surprised to see cross fell still has countless snow patches will easy make into june maybe even make midsummer if it stays cool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

visible from m6 lakeland fells have fresh snow on the tops today with a few remaining patches from march.very surprised to see cross fell still has countless snow patches will easy make into june maybe even make midsummer if it stays cool!

Are these from March still?

Posted

i think the snow on cross fell and the lakes has accumulated since january i think there was none early jan but has added in feb and march and those patches remain.a fresh cover has just dusted the very tops today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

i think the snow on cross fell and the lakes has accumulated since january i think there was none early jan but has added in feb and march and those patches remain.a fresh cover has just dusted the very tops today

Thanks. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts up there, June definitely seems possible and to see it into July would be awesome. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

The patches on Helvellyn and a number of other mountains have been there since early December. I assume the lower patches on Cross Fell are left over from the March blizzard. 

Posted

The last patches I can see from here, North West face of Rampsgill Head at around 750m. Touch and go whether they will make it into June, impossible to tell how deep they are from here.

post-11548-0-83602700-1369167592_thumb.j

Patches on the East face of Helvellyn looking quite small, I did get a picture but it's too hazy today from this distance to make them out. Amazed to still see lots of low patches on Great Dun Fell though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

In June 1980 (It might have been in the Daily Mail?) they were skiing in the lake District?

As I write there are various locations in England that still have substantial patches of snow. The Lakes, Pennines and Cheviot Hills all have snow, and it is almost certain that one or more of these will have snow until June. A trip report on my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183399@N03/sets/72157633581394377/comments/ shows some big patches and substantial depth on the Cheviot in northern England. These should last quite comfortably into June.

The last snow, or so we believe, to vanish in the Yorkshire Dales would have been a few days ago, on the western flank of Great Whernside. This photo shows the last wreaths on the 16th May http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=9128

Cross Fell still has large patches, and so do a few hills in the Lakes.

It is likely that Eldon Hole I the Peak District still has snow, but it's been very hard to get a definite answer. The last visit I am aware of, some weeks ago now, confirmed that there was a large amount still present as a 'snow plug' at the bottom of the cave. My feeling is that it will still be there, but I'd love to have that confirmed. If anyone knows of pot-holers who've been there then please let me know or post on here!

In short, a decent year for snow patches in England!

In June 1980 (It might have been in the Daily Mail?) they were skiing in the lake District?

It was 1979, and it was July. Also, it was the Pennines! The last snow to go that year was on 18th August, at Crowdundle Beck, on Great Dun Fell. It's the latest I've heard of snow persisting on the Pennines, or indeed north England.

Posted

Thanks for the excellent update and photo's Firefly, I will keep my ears open regarding Eldon Hole..

Posted

It was 1979, and it was July. Also, it was the Pennines! The last snow to go that year was on 18th August, at Crowdundle Beck, on Great Dun Fell. It's the latest I've heard of snow persisting on the Pennines, or indeed north England.

you certainly get about firefly!love the photos

Posted

just been to workington today,there are a handful of patches scattered on the north facing slopes of the lakeland fells visible from the A66 and at least a dozen scattered around cross fell,should last well into june