Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Longest lasting snow over in England?

Posted

Last snow I could see from the Ullswater valley today is on Caudale Moor. Fairly small now so may only last a few days. Couldn't see any on the Eastern face of Helvellyn, although I couldn't see the whole of Brown Cove.

The snow patches on the Cheviot were still there on the 4th of June, it's been too murky to see the hills since then :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The snow patches on the Cheviot were still there on the 4th of June, it's been too murky to see the hills since then :lol:

Which side of the border are the remaining snow patches on the Cheviot? I saw one report suggesting that they may be North of the Border? Edited by Norrance

Which side of the border are the remaining snow patches on the Cheviot? I saw one report suggesting that they may be North of the Border?

I will need to have a look at Google Earth and a wee scratch of the head on that one. They are still there today, whichever side of the border they are on :)

Posted

A bit late, but there were also two snow patches on Great Dun Fell, I think it is, clearly visible from parts of Alston as of last weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Which side of the border are the remaining snow patches on the Cheviot? I saw one report suggesting that they may be North of the Border?

its interesting to know even if it is just over the border

Posted

A bit late, but there were also two snow patches on Great Dun Fell, I think it is, clearly visible from parts of Alston as of last weekend.

yes there were plenty of patches,still visible on the western slopes on may 30th[see my last post] viewed from the m6

Posted

yes there were plenty of patches,still visible on the western slopes on may 30th[see my last post] viewed from the m6

Ah, I didn't see any from the M6 - these are east-facing slopes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Ah, I didn't see any from the M6 - these are east-facing slopes.

I also looked from the M6 coming back up the road from Manchester on Tuesday and couldn't see any despite the air being quite clear.

Posted

I also looked from the M6 coming back up the road from Manchester on Tuesday and couldn't see any despite the air being quite clear.

I cannot see them all melting in the time since last week ,maybe they have got smaller in that you need to get closer to see ,maybe there are other members out there who can help so we can get a final melt date for England,am not sure when I can get up there next

Posted

I cannot see them all melting in the time since last week ,maybe they have got smaller in that you need to get closer to see ,maybe there are other members out there who can help so we can get a final melt date for England,am not sure when I can get up there next

Quite possible. I was just looking from the car with no stopping or help from bins. There are still patches surviving in England according to Winter Highland.

It seems that an update is the order of the day!

As I type, snow still persists in England. Mid-June represents a late final melt-date for snow by the standards of recent years. I am aware of snow still persisting on Cross Fell and The Cheviot. The latter most of all. Jonathan Mobberly was up on the 8th June and found a large patch, shown here: https://twitter.com/theiaincameron/status/345060617796845568

I've no doubt that there are one or two small patches persisting in the Lakes, on a NW aspect. However, most of the usual long-lasting locations seem to be free of snow. If I were a betting man I'd go for The Cheviot to be last.

For those interested in Wales' snow, the last patched appeared to be one on Carnedd Llewelyn, in Snowdonia. https://twitter.com/theiaincameron/status/344209391374970881 This snow, as with the others that lasted longest this year, faced north west. All these NW patches were remnants of the big snow storm in March, which blew in on a SE wind. There must have been some massive deposits of snow in that storm, as it's taken 3 months for it to melt at the most favoured places. Remarkable, really.

There is a possibility that snow yet remains at Eldon Hole in the Peak District, but as yet I've not had that substantiated. I'm still trying to find out. I will report on here if it does.

EDIT: a fascinating patch to survive into June was one on the Berwyn Mountains of NE Wales. Description and photo here: http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/28183399@N03/8945605852/

Edited by firefly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Very interesting, thanks. :)

Posted

thanks as always for your reports, many of us are fascinated by them

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

That Cheviot one really is quite large, it even looks a bit like a glacier!

https://twitter.com/theiaincameron/status/345060617796845568

That was my first thought too.

There are still at least two snow patches on the Cheviot, can't be too sure from a distance but they seemed to be there yesterday.

As for the photo "looking" like a glacier, it could be argued that it is an infant glacier given the amount of thawing/refreezing which must have occured for the patch to start flowing downhill? Or does it only count if the patch makes it through a full cycle of seasons? Glaciers have to start somewhere :lol:

Yes, the snow patches on the Cheviot will almost certainly be the last in England. The Pennines and Lake District snows will either be gone, or will be gone in a day or so. I expect that the Cheviot will persist for another week or so.

Still no word of Eldon Hole!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Very impressive to see that snow patch remaining to now, wonder how long it will last?Posted Image