Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 7th May 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

At least we can take one crumb of comfort from the change in weather conditions today.  The nice weather we had actually included a Bank Holiday weekend for once!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Wind for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, East Sussex, Kent, Greater London, Medway & Slough

Yellow Warning of Wind for East of England :

Hertfordshire & Thurrock

Very strong southwesterly winds for the time of year are expected to extend eastwards across much of southern England, parts of the Midlands and much of Wales.  Gusts of 50 mph are likely to develop fairly widely inland with gusts of 55-65 mph along coasts.

The public should be aware that some disruption to transport is possible along with possible damage to trees.

Issued at:

1053 on Wed 8 May 2013

Valid from:

0900 on Thu 9 May 2013

Valid to:

2100 on Thu 9 May 2013

A vigorous area of low pressure continues to develop to the west of Ireland. It will then drift eastwards across Ireland on Thursday, reaching northern England by the end of Thursday. To the south of the low pressure a swathe of gales is likely to extend across southern Britain. The warning area has now been extended further east in the south, to cater for increasing winds here during Thursday afternoon.                                                 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=C7A10A23-5CDF-D136-AE92-7E5DE5051C64_3_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&fcTime=1368054000

Posted

Afternoon all,

Feeling on top of the world up here..

post-10773-0-06521900-1368017485_thumb.j

............it was a bit breezy though but a nice lunchtime view of the Central MK skyline !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Afternoon all.

The early moderate, but quite short lasting rain gave way to sunnier skies here over lunchtime. These have now been replaced by boring stratocumulus type clouds - I guess showing why there is very little rainfall over our region currently.

Still I should hopefully be able to go out after work and not get wet, although I'll check the radar again after 5 o'clock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

I heard that mentioned too, but it looks like a huge long-shot when you drill down a bit:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76121-uk-general-convective-discussion-forecasts-13th-march-2013-onwards/page-18#entry2690812

Not feeling or looking stormy up here at the moment with about 60% cloud cover and a nice warm but fresh breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Models showing more unsettled weather, but signs of LP sliding down the Western side of the UK, which could potentially draw up some warm, humid weather, could be looking at some thunder potentially! 

Persistent blocking over Scandi and Svalbard, now this isn't all that bad, as I recall the 2003 heatwave being mainly caused by extensive blocking at the top of Europe heating pretty much all of Europe up on the Southern flank with a fetch from way into Kazakhstan and Russia. We just happened to tap into the 40+ degrees temps over the near continent at that time when the winds turned Se'ly and Southerly. If only we can repeat this again. 

Posted

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

hi all

sorry guys only link tonight

very busy at present

easy forecast tonight

wet and windy with some drier interludes  especially sunday at the moment

watch late tomorrow for strong winds

watch monday for potential humid and stormy conditions

do a proper update tomorrow

Posted

Morning all,

Ditto Chris, looks lovely at the moment though but for those who might have missed it here is today's MetO warning for WIND ....

Yellow Warning of Wind for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham & Milton Keynes

Yellow Warning of Wind for East of England :

Hertfordshire, Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Luton, Peterborough, Norfolk, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

Very strong southwesterly winds for the time of year are expected to extend eastwards across much of Wales and southern and central England. Gusts of 50 mph are likely to develop fairly widely inland with gusts of 55-65 mph along exposed coasts in the south and west.

The public should be aware that some disruption to transport is possible along with possible damage to trees.

Issued at:

1514 on Wed 8 May 2013

Valid from:

0900 on Thu 9 May 2013

Valid to:

2100 on Thu 9 May 2013

A vigorous area of low pressure continues to develop to the west of Ireland. It will then drift eastwards across Ireland on Thursday, reaching northern England by the end of Thursday. To the south of the low pressure a swathe of gales is likely to extend across southern Britain. The warning area has now been extended to include more of the northeast Midlands and eastern England to cater for increasing winds here during Thursday afternoon.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=C7A10A23-5CDF-D136-AE92-7E5DE5051C64_5_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&fcTime=1368054000

I will be avoiding the vigorous low pressure and swathe of gales by mostly working today.....have a good one y'all, don't forget to get your washing in before your smalls blow away  angel.gif

Posted

Morning all

No real meteorological events of note yesterday except for this beautiful rainbow I saw on the way home last night:

post-6667-0-67482200-1368081351_thumb.jp post-6667-0-01281200-1368081356_thumb.jp

Not particularly well captured I'm afraid, but it was present for several minutes and somewhere out in those feilds was a pot of gold at the end of it!

Posted

I'm just not as convinced as some, that today will see excessively high winds across the whole of our region. I can see some activity around the Channel coasts and areas facing the North Sea, but sustained winds of 35 mph and the odd gust to 45 mph might be the highest - what do you think?

12_21.gif

18_21.gif

24_21.gif

30_21.gif

18_45.gif

There could be some shear and helical activity up there though:

gfs_stp_eur15.png

gfs_srh_eur15.png

The gust area now has a larger coverage than earlier in the week, but I'd be surprised to see anything peaking above 45 mph:

gfs_gusts_eur15.png

XC weather typically:

post-6667-0-85270000-1368082970_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

Bright and breezy here.

I'm expecting strong winds here late this afternoon, but nothing too exceptional. To be honest I don't want strong winds in Spring really. I'd rather windstorms were in Winter, when the potential is so much better and I don't particularly like seeing large branches / trees in leaf blown down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

I agree Steve, high winds are ok late Autumn and Winter but now? No thank you.

Here this morning there is about 50% cloud cover but the clouds we do have are streaking  across the sky from sw to ne. Feeling really fresh with a current temp of 7.9°.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

hi all

sorry guys only link tonight

very busy at present

easy forecast tonight

wet and windy with some drier interludes  especially sunday at the moment

watch late tomorrow for strong winds

watch monday for potential humid and stormy conditions

do a proper update tomorrow

Thanks as always John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Morning each. Blimey...there's a pretty strong old breeze here in Ippy this morning. But it is quite sunny but lots of low cloud. Nah! Like Steve and MarcB I want high winds in Autumn not ruddy spring.

Have a good day, everyone and if you are experiencing high winds....enjoy but stay safe. :D

Posted

Disappointing 'fresh' 'breeze' this morning is feeling more like a cold wind:( Sky mostly cloudy with only small blue patches showing through. Just as I cracked open the new 'summer' shoes; should have known not to jinx things...

Posted

The sun's still hanging on here and I can hear a bit of wind through the rubbish, 1960's single glazed windows of the office (they never fitted well even back then!!)

Posted

Morning all,

Quite nice and sunny at the moment here in London.  Is it the calm before the storm?  Let's hope not, as we currently have a large heavy metal hook thing attached to a crane wafting in front of our window in the gentle breeze... help.gif   Let's hope the workmen finish early for the day!

The sun's still hanging on here and I can hear a bit of wind through the rubbish, 1960's single glazed windows of the office (they never fitted well even back then!!)

Our windows date back to 1872 - they rattle away quite nicely when it's windy! 

Posted

Things getting a bit windier to our West, this looks like what we could have coming later this afternoon?

post-6667-0-03511600-1368096706_thumb.jp

Posted

In my office I mostly hear rubbish through the wind!

Currently enjoying a decent sunny spell, but the breeze is picking up and the window of my office faces north-east so I can't see what's coming from the west without going outside (there's a thought....)

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Morning all

No real meteorological events of note yesterday except for this beautiful rainbow I saw on the way home last night:

attachicon.gif08052013875.jpg attachicon.gif08052013874.jpg

Not particularly well captured I'm afraid, but it was present for several minutes and somewhere out in those feilds was a pot of gold at the end of it!

Must be worth a £90 fine, Robin!good.gif

Posted

Good afternoon all. Its been a mostly dull and overcast morning after a bright start earlier, though the sun is currently attempting a comeback here. As expected and predicted, the wind is the main focus today and at times its been blowing a hooley in these parts. Batten down the hatches.

Well the sun is still hanging on here although the trees indicate an increase in wind speed, no doubt it will probably be late afternoon when flying a kite on Dunstable Downs could be fun, although not that I have time to try that as far to busy at work.biggrin.png