Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase Tour 3 - Countdown

Paul

Posted

Under a week to go until the start of tour 3 (final info packs will be winging their way out to all of the guests today). 

Prospects looking pretty decent for the start of the tour..

post-2-0-52647700-1368429306_thumb.png post-2-0-74143000-1368429305_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Excellent! Cannot wait! Can anyone tell me the flight time to dfw from health row? I have heard I will be landing at 7pm but as we are in BST will I be landing at 6?

Ces Paul

Gee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

Excellent! Cannot wait! Can anyone tell me the flight time to dfw from health row? I have heard I will be landing at 7pm but as we are in BST will I be landing at 6?

Ces Paul

Gee

That'll be 7pm local time (GMT -6)

Posted

thats cool! enough time to grab some wal mart shopping!

Posted

thats cool! enough time to grab some wal mart shopping!

LOL yeah me too...need a new tripod! Looking on their web site they have some fairly cheap ones that will do for the trip.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looking good by the weekend and into early next week for the start of T3, as a Pacific trough finally pushes through to the central Conus, which will set up a lee low and return moisture north across the Plains and increase the risk of storms as the upper trough and jet interacts. SPC currently have a Day 6 outlook for Sat 18th, which I believe is the day before changeover day from Tour 2 to Tour 3.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/day4-8/

Depending on when the Tour 3 members all land, I guess there's possibilities of getting up into Oklahoma for a bonus chase on Saturday in the evening if the risk exists there still by then. There will most likely be a risk perhaps in the same area or a little further east on Sunday 19th too and if the the slower to eject the upper trough east ECMWF solutions of late transpires there could be multiple days of severe storm risk going into early next week.

Edited by Nick F

Posted

LOL yeah me too...need a new tripod! Looking on their web site they have some fairly cheap ones that will do for the trip.

i am going to do the same!

i have 3 Go Pros!

Looking good by the weekend and into early next week for the start of T3, as a Pacific trough finally pushes through to the central Conus, which will set up a lee low and return moisture north across the Plains and increase the risk of storms as the upper trough and jet interacts. SPC currently have a Day 6 outlook for Sat 18th, which I believe is the day before changeover day from Tour 2 to Tour 3.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/day4-8/

Depending on when the Tour 3 members all land, I guess there's possibilities of getting up into Oklahoma for a bonus chase on Saturday in the evening if the risk exists there still by then. There will most likely be a risk perhaps in the same area or a little further east on Sunday 19th too and if the the slower to eject the upper trough east ECMWF solutions of late transpires there could be multiple days of severe storm risk going into early next week.

grea tnews!!! poo news is that my flight get in at 7:10PM sad.png

Posted

Once again and I will try to re-iterate what I have been saying on Facebook about this.

Last Chase Day for Tour 2 = Saturday

Changeover Day = Sunday (Bonus Chase Day for some)

So there will be NO Bonus chase day on the Saturday for Tour 3 guests as this is officially the last chase day for Tour 2.

We will be at DFW Airport at 12 Noon on the Sunday and if there is a risk close enough to DFW This will become the bonus chase day and NOT Saturday, you are welcome to hire your own car on the Saturday and chase but please be aware that I need you all in DFW For Sunday Noon.

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Just a note on the weekend. The risk, according to GFS, may be highest in East NE which may be a trip too far perhaps.
All subject to change of course.

Posted

Once again and I will try to re-iterate what I have been saying on Facebook about this.

So there will be NO Bonus chase day on the Saturday for Tour 3 guests as this is officially the last chase day for Tour 2.

We will be at DFW Airport at 12 Noon on the Sunday and if there is a risk close enough to DFW This will become the bonus chase day and NOT Saturday, you are welcome to hire your own car on the Saturday and chase but please be aware that I need you all in DFW For Sunday Noon.

Regards

Paul S

totally understand, i will not be getting to DFW base until 8-9pm depending how fas ti can get through customs!

Sunday bonus chase day would be epic and ill be geared up for it!

Posted

Regards

Paul S

Thanks for clarifying that Paul. Not expecting to arrive at DFW until 1939hrs (local) on Saturday. No customs to clear there as I will have been through all that at JFK. The only weak point in my itinerary is getting through immigration/customs at JFK and getting from T7 to T8 to pick up my internal AA flight in 2 hours. Hoping that by only bringing cabin baggage I will be at the front of the queue!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

So I need to know other than John and I who is on the BA 193 FLIGHT  18th may, we need to know numbers for the hotel bus

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

Looks as if things are starting to get interesting out there. SPC have severe risk for Saturday and Sunday. These have been downgraded in the past but let's keep our fingers x'd! Hope you have a great chase guys and girls :-)  

Posted

Saturday should give at least a good end to Tour #2. Sunday will, IMO, be too far NE to hit from DFW. Shame!

Edited by Chris Sargent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

Posted

I am actually quite happy with things as they stand at the moment and cant see why we cant chase on Sunday ??

To my untrained eye it looks like the lid could blow somewhere in Oklahoma and with everyone in by 3pm and ready to hit the road can easily get a bonus chase in, thats if i have my sums correct and everyone is in by 3-4pm that is

Posted

Arrive by 3-4pm on the Sunday?

Posted

Sounds good to me Paul. Nothing like hitting the ground running and getting in at the deep end!