Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chatsworth House rainfall data

Hello. I'm looking for historic rainfall data from the Chatsworth House rain gauge. Does anyone know how long the gauge has been operating for and who is the best contact at the Estate please? Thanks. UJ

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Hello. I'm looking for historic rainfall data from the Chatsworth House rain gauge. Does anyone know how long the gauge has been operating for and who is the best contact at the Estate please? Thanks. UJ

Found this link here that maybe of interest.. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=owXY54FvV0MC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=chatsworth+house+rain+gauge&source=bl&ots=yZ2XyUjlCG&sig=fsgsDu9Mw7m4qScb-FsScg25H7E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7GGXUY3UJ4La0QWosYAQ&ved=0CFgQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=chatsworth%20house%20rain%20gauge&f=false

I have a few links to Chatsworth house, so I will try to find out. At a guess the Head Gardener will still take the daily readings, and has been operating since the 18th Century. I would say the records are not open to the pubic.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Found this link here that maybe of interest.. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=owXY54FvV0MC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=chatsworth+house+rain+gauge&source=bl&ots=yZ2XyUjlCG&sig=fsgsDu9Mw7m4qScb-FsScg25H7E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7GGXUY3UJ4La0QWosYAQ&ved=0CFgQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=chatsworth%20house%20rain%20gauge&f=false

I have a few links to Chatsworth house, so I will try to find out. At a guess the Head Gardener will still take the daily readings, and has been operating since the 18th Century. I would say the records are not open to the pubic.

You can access the records but have to make an appointment with the estates manager and have to pay by the day to use the library.

The records are only available back to 1910; the earlier records are missing and no one seems to know where they are.

I made a start on transcribing the temperature and rainfall records a few years ago for comparison with other local sites but only got a few years into it and haven't found the time to go back and continue.

Posted

You can access the records but have to make an appointment with the estates manager and have to pay by the day to use the library.

The records are only available back to 1910; the earlier records are missing and no one seems to know where they are.

I made a start on transcribing the temperature and rainfall records a few years ago for comparison with other local sites but only got a few years into it and haven't found the time to go back and continue.

Thanks TM, that has saved me time chasing people up, and pretty much answers UJ's question.

Posted

I have often thought of doing that myself for the severe winters, 1947, 62-3 etc but never got round to it. Maybe one day?

Any idea what his Lordship charges for a day please?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I have often thought of doing that myself for the severe winters, 1947, 62-3 etc but never got round to it. Maybe one day?

Any idea what his Lordship charges for a day please?

I really can't remember the amount, John. It must be 8 or 9 years since I was last there doing any copying of the records; I feel it was something like £5 a day.

Posted

just back from a break with friends at other friends near Dole, France so thanks for that TM, I might enquire later in the year.