Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

bedroom temperature

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ideally: 21c+ but with a gentle breeze coming in the skylight descending upon you. Then it can be even warmer as the breeze makes it comfortable. In the 2-3 days (!) of hot weather we've had since we moved here 5 years ago there have been zero nights where it was too hot to sleep despite sometimes being 24 or even 25c up there (the only time it gets higher than that is if the window isn't opened but once you do the temp drops fast).

More normally: Around 20c when you go to bed then falling which is comfortable enough for sleeping yet by 5am doesn't mean any exposed flesh turns blue with cold. Sometimes the skylight can be opened but this relies on outdoor temperatures being above 12c. Brilliant as they are for hot weather, they are very poor for the majority of the time. A 'normal' window across the room behind a curtain would be openable at lower temperatures but no way with a skylight looming above you.

The worst: Sub 18c at bedtime with a icy cold night ahead. It will then fall to 12c or sometimes lower by morning. Normally I don't heat the bedroom (as it gets stuffy fast) but in the cold bits of winter its vital otherwise a dark Monday morning in January goes from a horrific nightmare to a horrific nightmare that came true... where its next to impossible to get up.

Overall: Much like the whole house the warmer outside it is the better our bedroom fares. Facing east going to sleep is no problem, but weekend lie ins are a thing of the past!

Posted

Topic title caught my eye, but then I realised of course, it's a weather forum...... :doh:

Posted

I have my bedroom window open ALL year round in ALL weathers. I had the window open during the December 2010 snowfall. I had it open all Winter/Spring just past. I also have it open when its blowing a severe gale, lashing with rain and even clapping thunder. I just love the cool air. 

In the summer I sleep on the bed (not in) and have the window wide open - so the room temp it pretty much the same as it is outdoors (well probs a degree higher)

Posted

New build + south facing + second floor apartment + old couple below us = the Hottest apartment ever.

Heating hasnt been on since the cold spell in January and it's constantly 22-24oC in here. I've had the balcony doors open since i got home and its still hitting 23.2.

The missus helps herself to the duvee, no need for that 9 months of the year.

Thats one thing you can say about Persimmon - Yes, the standard of finish is not disimilar to a shack on the outskirts of Mumbai, but you will save money on your gas bill.

Edited by Paul T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Anywhere between about 9 and 15C will do me; if it's too cold, you can always find another duvet; if it's too hot, what can you do?

If it's too hot I sometimes go sleep downstairs on the settee as it seems about 10c cooler there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

New build + south facing + second floor apartment + old couple below us = the Hottest apartment ever.

Heating hasnt been on since the cold spell in January and it's constantly 22-24oC in here. I've had the balcony doors open since i got home and its still hitting 23.2.

The missus helps herself to the duvee, no need for that 9 months of the year.

Thats one thing you can say about Persimmon - Yes, the standard of finish is not disimilar to a shack on the outskirts of Mumbai, but you will save money on your gas bill.

wow what a contrast to my place! A somewhat different equation for me:

Victorian coach house + no cavity wall + limited loft insulation + painted white + surrounded in tall houses/trees (little to no sun in winter) + detached + exposed to east wind + old fashioned central heating with back boiler + thin or no double glazing + windows facing only east or south east (built into hillside) = coldest house ever where heating still rumbles on into June and starts again in August!

It was cold feeling when I went downstairs yesterday at 16.5c and again this morning simply as the heating hasn't been on and it wasn't sunny. Had to boost it but then gladly it could stay off for the rest of the day.

Total contrast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

For me, the perfect combination is warm bed and cool room.

Apart from winter or when it's stupidly windy outside (my room faces west), I normally sleep with the window open all the time. For me I would say 17-21C is the best range for me. Above 21C, it becomes harder to sleep under a duvet and I end up waking up more often during the night. Equally, below 17C it is harder to get up in the morning.

Fortunately, the lowest temperature in my room is normally around early to mid afternoon, in winter I think my alarm clock read 10C once, perhaps during Jan 2010 or 2011, not sure.

Posted

Spent a night or two in a tent in N Norway with the outside temps -30c, probably c.-20c inside.  Also spent a night or two in Turkey (to tight to book apt with aircon!) when the min was 30c and the room temp probably closer to 35c....I know which extreme I prefered!  At home c.15c is perfect for sleeping imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Anywhere between about 9 and 15C will do me; if it's too cold, you can always find another duvet; if it's too hot, what can you do?

Sleep with a fan on all night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i have dual furnaces in my house..one heats the downstairs and one heats the upstairs..as a result i have dual thermostat controls for upstairs and down..one in the hallway and one in my bedroom..so both give a constant reading of the temperature in those locations...during the winter my bedroom is kept at a constant 15-20c when i am at home..during the summer months the heating system is off..so i try and keep my bedroom temp the same 15-20c..this is near impossible during warm weather and last summer it often reached 30c..so i placed an air con unit in my bedroom too bring the temp back down to below 20c..thunderstorms are a god send as i open all the windows in the house and the downdraft acts like natures air conditioning and will cool the whole house down to a comfortable 16/17c in a matter of minutes.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

when aged about 10 we got central heating and double glazing .. I did not let a radiator in my bedroom or my window be double glazed .. I kept them open AYR anyway

Posted

Sleep with a fan on all night.

I have a fan going 365 days a year. It doesn't cool you down unless it's trained directly upon your sweating skin; it merely moves the air around. I just have it on for the background noise it generates as I find silence deafening...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I have my bedroom window open ALL year round in ALL weathers. I had the window open during the December 2010 snowfall. I had it open all Winter/Spring just past. I also have it open when its blowing a severe gale, lashing with rain and even clapping thunder. I just love the cool air. 

In the summer I sleep on the bed (not in) and have the window wide open - so the room temp it pretty much the same as it is outdoors (well probs a degree higher)

you wouldnt have done that at my old house,maybe you should get someone to take your windows out or buy a tent!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

I have a fan going 365 days a year. It doesn't cool you down unless it's trained directly upon your sweating skin; it merely moves the air around. I just have it on for the background noise it generates as I find silence deafening...

Well obviously the idea is to create air movement over your body otherwise its just a really bad heater, but it also on a cool night increases circulation from the outside air which is typically cooler. But having lived in Australia for most of my life in un airconditioned houses that will easily be 30+ overnight during a hot spell, I can say it works wonders.

Edited by SomeLikeItHot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Window slightly open and locked in position .Vent open.. Average of 18 C. For the bedroom...No central heating switched on after 22:00.......Just the wife....