Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Is high blood pressure linked to cold wet weather?

Coast

Posted

Was listening to a discussion about the topic title this morning and thought I'd post this article describing some new research by Glasgow University:

A link between cold, rainy weather and increased blood pressure has been found by Scottish researchers.

A study by Glasgow University found that chilly conditions, low levels of sunshine and the rain all had an impact on patients’ blood pressure readings. They also found that in those people whose blood pressure was most sensitive to the weather, the risk of dying increased by 35 per cent. The study looked at more than 169,000 blood pressure measurements in more than 16,000 patients who attended the Glasgow Blood Pressure Clinic between 1970 and 2011. These readings were then mapped against the weather in the area at the time to see whether they were affected by the conditions.

Dr Sandosh Padmanabhan, reader at the Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, said the study showed for the first time that weather could 
affect blood pressure and this varied between patients. The researchers, writing in 
the journal Hypertension, found that, on average, blood pressure readings in patients being treated for their condition dropped by 2 per cent a year if the weather was similar on two consecutive visits. But they found that if 
temperatures dropped from their highest average level to 
the lowest level between the two visits, then the patients’ blood pressure rose by 2.1 per cent.

A reduction in the level of sunshine also led to a 2.3 per cent increase in blood pressure, while higher air-frost increased measurements by 1.4 per cent and more rainfall pushed up readings by 0.8 per cent. But the researchers also found that patients differed in how much their readings were affected by the weather. “Temperature-sensitive†patients showed worse blood pressure control during follow-up appointments and a 35 per cent increased risk of long-term mortality compared with patients not sensitive to the weather. “We are treating the patients, we are trying to get their blood pressure down, but despite this, between the warmest and the coldest day, there is a 2 per cent increase in blood pressure,†Dr Padmanabhan said.

The researcher said the reasons behind the link included people feeling less stressed in nicer weather, as well as the effects of the cold on blood vessels. “We know that in the warm weather people are happy and relaxed and blood pressures are lower,†he said. “There are multiple reasons behind the effect. “The cold weather will make all your blood vessels constrict and will increase your blood pressure because that is a reaction to cold.â€

Dr Padmanabhan said the findings were important because if doctors were aware that a patient’s blood pressure was more likely to be affected by the weather, they could make the right decisions about treatment. “In some cases, we may actually reduce treatment thinking 
the blood pressure is low when actually it is just the weather having the effect,†he said.

But Dr Padmanabhan said his team did not think increased levels of high blood pressure in Scotland were due to the cold weather in the country. “In Scotland, I think weather complicates treatment. I don’t think it increases the population prevalence of high blood pressure. That is due to lifestyle 
primarily,†he said.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/high-blood-pressure-is-linked-to-cold-wet-weather-1-2939281

Does anyone here have any direct evidence of increased blood pressure in times of cold, wet weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

When we have a cold wet northerly like today, my blood pressure goes up a little because i prefer a warm southerly during summer.

Posted

Was listening to a discussion about the topic title this morning and thought I'd post this article describing some new research by Glasgow University:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/high-blood-pressure-is-linked-to-cold-wet-weather-1-2939281

Does anyone here have any direct evidence of increased blood pressure in times of cold, wet weather?

The last paragraph sums up that there is no direct correlation. People are mostly affected by life issues and heredity. That's why my blood pressure is through the roof!

Posted

Did you see this other article from research at Edinburgh University.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-22433359

Edinburgh University research suggests sunlight helps reduce blood pressure, cutting heart attack and stroke risks and even prolonging life.

Posted

There's probably a stronger link between high blood pressure and internet forums. Anyway just off to have mine checked.

Hope it turns out OK knocks.  Mine was revealed to be morbidly high recently, while I was at the hospital for a pre-op assessment. Systolic reading ( well the top one anyway!) was consistently over 190. That was a coupla months ago and since then I've cut out all salt, cut down on caffeine and tried to relax a little more. Doc gave me a low dose of lysinopril tablets which didn't do much, but the dosage has been steadily increased to what it is now, and my B.P. is consistently under 120 - perfect!  I don't buy the link with cold weather, well not for me personally anyway. Moderate heat gives me pounding temples and huge irritability etc, but regulars on here will know I can't tolerate heat anyway. Feel much more 'chilled' in more ways than one when it's cold!

Posted

I'm not so sure there is really, as high blood pressure blights many of those in Asia.

True but the reasons in Asia could be related to something else so it wouldn't necessarily rule out the report although like you I'm far from convinced. So many thing can cause b high blood pressure.