Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SNOWFALL RETURNS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good Morning,

Snowfall returns to the Austrian Alps this morning. It was only this time last week that the last patch of winter snow melted from my back garden. This morning we have started the day with a full covering. Snowfall level is between 1500m and 1000m today and is expected to lower into the valleys at 700m by Saturday morning. Snowfall is forecast to be continuous for the next 30 hours with a deposit of between 20 /40 cm at village level ( 1640m ) and a possible 60inches of snowfall at 2500m, which will add to the already increased mass of snowfall on many of the glaciers in the region.

Cpost-3489-0-80177400-1369389310_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Good Morning Summertime. Woke up to snow falling again. Snow level down to 1750 metres this morning. When will these cold winds go away ? Cattle still holed up in the sheds. No barbecues or beer fest today. Log fires order of the day and sky sports.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

How unusual is it for the time of year C?

Posted

How unusual is it for the time of year C?

Hi,

Snow is not unusual in the Alps during early summer, particularly above 2000m. However, all of this year snow has remained below the 2000m  height , which I would think is a fairly unusual occurrence. I have not seen the snow level this low in June since I have been here. The locals also confirm the snow has lingered longer than for many years. We in Austria have had recent marked warm Autumn periods, again last year was the same and Christmas Eve was the warmest on record. Winter took hold in January with cold , cloudy snowy conditions lasting well into March . End of April / early May saw a spell of warm winds from Africa, but this did not last long and was replaced by cold and wet conditions again with snowfall levels lowering into the start of summer period.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Good Morning Summertime. Woke up to snow falling again. Snow level down to 1750 metres this morning. When will these cold winds go away ? Cattle still holed up in the sheds. No barbecues or beer fest today. Log fires order of the day and sky sports.

C

surely that should be ski sports ??

Posted

Good Morning,

Snow level still below 2000mWebcam - Zeitraffer.htm

Posted

Good Morning,

Snow level still below 2000mPosted ImageWebcam - Zeitraffer.htm

That web cam shot is a view of the Karieck Mountain that overlooks Katschberg and The Gontal Valley. The peak is 2400m. In the distance is The Gross Glockner Range.

C

Posted

My parents used to go to Austria for two weeks about now every year and they never really had anything more than the odd thundery shower - and it was almost always hot hot hot with haymaking well under way even quite high up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

That must be an amazing place to live Carinthian.

The climate there seems more interesting than here in the UK. 27C when I was last in Innsbruck last month but since then it has snowed almost down to city level. Seems like thunderstorms are often in the forecast too, but so far my girlfriend who is studying there has only had 1 storm.

I'm going back over next week, looks like it's warming up again so I'm hoping for some storms.

Do you get a lot of storms where you are during summer?

Posted

That must be an amazing place to live Carinthian.

The climate there seems more interesting than here in the UK. 27C when I was last in Innsbruck last month but since then it has snowed almost down to city level. Seems like thunderstorms are often in the forecast too, but so far my girlfriend who is studying there has only had 1 storm.

I'm going back over next week, looks like it's warming up again so I'm hoping for some storms.

Do you get a lot of storms where you are during summer?

Hi,

thanks for your comments. Apart from when a winter Euro High settles over central Europe  the weather is great here. However, like the UK we have not seen this for a few winters. The summers can get very hot in Karten, especially in the lakes and valleys. Here in the mountains the heat is tempered somewhat but at times feels very warm. Summer storms are a feature in the mountains and at times can be quite awesome. Many a evening I climb up to the top of our local mountain (around 2000m ) to witness storm developments. Lightning can be viewed 360 degree. When it gets too close , i rush back down to the local pub, a safe haven and sanctuary !

C

Posted

Hi,

thanks for your comments. Apart from when a winter Euro High settles over central Europe  the weather is great here. However, like the UK we have not seen this for a few winters. The summers can get very hot in Karten, especially in the lakes and valleys. Here in the mountains the heat is tempered somewhat but at times feels very warm. Summer storms are a feature in the mountains and at times can be quite awesome. Many a evening I climb up to the top of our local mountain (around 2000m ) to witness storm developments. Lightning can be viewed 360 degree. When it gets too close , i rush back down to the local pub, a safe haven and sanctuary !

C

That sounds amazing, I'm very jealous!

Do you do photography at all? I bet you could get some stunning photos.

I've only got a short window Wed 12th - Sat 15th to experience a storm in the Alps, but I'll be following the forecasts closely in the coming days.

Posted

That sounds amazing, I'm very jealous!

Do you do photography at all? I bet you could get some stunning photos.

I've only got a short window Wed 12th - Sat 15th to experience a storm in the Alps, but I'll be following the forecasts closely in the coming days.

hI again,

No, I am not very technical. The internet is enough for me and the mobile phone is beyond me. The wife sets my sky sports programmes !

Where about in the Alps are you going to ? Funny enough there is some thunderstorm activity at the moment in the Sud Tirol . The heat is slowing building up and storms are in the forecast here over the weekend. There is still some patches of snow at 2000m on our mountain and plenty still at around 2500m  mark and above .

C

Posted

hI again,

No, I am not very technical. The internet is enough for me and the mobile phone is beyond me. The wife sets my sky sports programmes !

Where about in the Alps are you going to ? Funny enough there is some thunderstorm activity at the moment in the Sud Tirol . The heat is slowing building up and storms are in the forecast here over the weekend. There is still some patches of snow at 2000m on our mountain and plenty still at around 2500m  mark and above .

C

I'm going to Innsbruck and staying there, my girlfriend is having her year abroad there so this is the 3rd time I will have been to see her. November, May and now June. The only time I have left Innsbruck is when we went on the train to Salzburg last month. Have you been to Innsbruck? I love it, but I'm sure there are many more amazing places in Austria.

Posted

I'm going to Innsbruck and staying there, my girlfriend is having her year abroad there so this is the 3rd time I will have been to see her. November, May and now June. The only time I have left Innsbruck is when we went on the train to Salzburg last month. Have you been to Innsbruck? I love it, but I'm sure there are many more amazing places in Austria.

Yep, Innsbruck is special place apart from the flight path in !. My first ski-ing holiday was to the nearby resort of Alpbach back in 1976, a real gem. Had a day out in Innsbruck to visit the Ski jump park and all the other attractions the city had to offer. Ever since my first visit in 1976, fell in love with Austria and eventually made the decision to move. In my view the best place in the world . Funny enough, Vienna, the biggest tourist attraction in Austria is my least liked part of the country. Salzburgerland, Carinthia, Tirol and Voralbourg are just amazing places to visit and live.

C

Posted

I agree about Innsbruck, I've visited twice and it's a very special city. I've never been in winter but it's lovely in summer- I've seen some really scorching days there but a couple of cold rainy days in August! Tirol as a whole is a magical region, it's almost like a real-life fairy tale and the people have a certain charm and innocence about them, probably to do with their isolation in many ways. Also Sud Tirol is fascinating, you can easily forget you're in Italy when you see all the Austrian-style architecture and hear the locals speaking German around you. 

Posted

I agree about Innsbruck, I've visited twice and it's a very special city. I've never been in winter but it's lovely in summer- I've seen some really scorching days there but a couple of cold rainy days in August! Tirol as a whole is a magical region, it's almost like a real-life fairy tale and the people have a certain charm and innocence about them, probably to do with their isolation in many ways. Also Sud Tirol is fascinating, you can easily forget you're in Italy when you see all the Austrian-style architecture and hear the locals speaking German around you. 

Hi,

Glad you like what you have seen. I really like the Sud Tirol, a region many Brits have not seen. If you like vast Alpione forests, remoteness, and snow capped peaks that tower mightly at 3000m, you must go. The food is a interesting mix of Italitan and local Alpine fodder. The only thing that is of concern there is the political climate as many do not recognize the increased Italianization of the region and long for return of Austrian rule. However, the weather climate is amazing as is the landscape.

We should really post a love Austria topic !

C

Posted

Hi,

Glad you like what you have seen. I really like the Sud Tirol, a region many Brits have not seen. If you like vast Alpione forests, remoteness, and snow capped peaks that tower mightly at 3000m, you must go. The food is a interesting mix of Italitan and local Alpine fodder. The only thing that is of concern there is the political climate as many do not recognize the increased Italianization of the region and long for return of Austrian rule. However, the weather climate is amazing as is the landscape.

We should really post a love Austria topic !

C

Yes Sud Tirol is stunning. Have to say personally I prefer having the Italian influence in the food haha, I'm not a huge fan of the local food in Tirol- a bit too much pork and stodge for me although I do admire the fact that a lot of the food you buy in the shops is ethical and organic.

Posted

Indeed Sud-Tirol is a wonderful place, it's where I go on my skiing holidays in Italy (about an hour south of Innsbruck). Love the culture and in particular the friendliness of the locals. Really want go there sometime in the summer in the future, to experience a completely contrasting landscape to the one I'm used to seeing when I go there! Hopefully will be going back for a sixth time to the area next winter.

I have been to Innsbruck once a few years ago. A truly wonderful city. If I remember it was in February, where in the city it felt spring-like but this contrasted with the snow capped mountains that surrond the city, a fascinating site!

Posted

Thanks Ben,

I have set up a new topic site .. ALL THINGS AUSTRIA..please contribute your interesting thoughts there for all to read.

Best Regards,

C