Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase Day 19 Reports and Pictures

John Hanrahan

Posted

Started the day in Kearney (Neb) with a chase target of North Central Kansas, after initially heading east conditions were showing initiation much further west so we went back west towards Smith Centre. The first cell went up 30 miles to our North West and we got straight onto it, it was quite linear at first but one Supercell became dominant, we followed this east most of the day and were right in position when the first 2 Tornadoes were reported, firstly 3 Miles NW Of Smith Centre and then 3 Miles North East of Smith Centre, we did not see the wedge tornado which was rain wrapped though. A great day with surprisingly good structure.

One quick pic from me of the second cone tornado.  Not the best pic.  Others have better which I'm sure they'll add tonight or tomorrow if they've already gone to bed.  Everyone pretty tired from back to back long days.

post-8352-0-95686300-1369721794_thumb.jp

Edited by John Hanrahan

Posted

3 stitches today from me, One in the early stage, one just before it put down the wedge and one near the end of it's life  :D

post-4649-0-17760800-1369722075_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-22077500-1369722080_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-58600100-1369722086_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Here is my offering but at 2.57am I am unable to spend the time editing the video , so make of it what you will.

Tom

Posted

Thanks team. From a virtual perspective I think the day failed to live up to the parameters, and not for the first time this season. The main line initiated in SC NB at a point further west than anticipated, and then dropping ESE into NC KS it adopted a bit of a messy line that became increasingly HP. The main cell continued to be dominant but probably failed to ingest the juice required to drop a visible tornado because by that time cells to the south were developing and occluding the main core.
Matt Grantham's stream made for compelling viewing for a time when he was caught right in the core of the RFD that almost turned his vehicle.

It would be good to have your stream on all the time but for me at least it has been at best intermitant.

Keep up the good work!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Sean Casey and the TIV2 team intercepted the tornado in Smith Centre Kansas and shot this incredible footage from inside the violent tornado. The winds were recorded at 150-175mph before the tornado ripped off the instruments attached to the roof of the TIV.

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

I might be one of the most cautious chasers here (I won't chase Arkansas!), but that is just nuts, from any perspective. Towards the end they're in a washing machine of trees! Jees.

Agree Neil - I cant help thinking that things transpired, inflow wise, to scupper a possible long track wedge, but a rather messy evening really -

Cheers, Samos :)

Posted

That is just insanely stupid IMO. Stunning footage for sure but to be honest not very clever. Couldn't they have driven away from the risk area or did they do it deliberately?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The TIV2 has been tested to withstand these types of windspeed behind a jet engine I do believe.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

wow!I didn't realise any vehicles could do that. thanks

Here's a bit of info on the TIV, basically it clamps itself hydraulically to the ground and has an armoured body and bullet-proof glass. 

http://tornadoalleymovie.com/index.php/explore/tiv/

Think the original TIV is now used by Reed Timmer and is called the 'Dominator'.

Edited by Nick F