Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why do you like storms?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Just wondering as I've never understood it my self, I think it's cool when you see lightning, but can't say I find them that interesting. I heard someone say they don't care about summer as long as there is a storm, but they only last a few hours!?

Tornadoes and hurricanes are interesting, but storms are just storms Posted Image

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

For me it's experiencing the power of nature:

Watching the storm developing as it moves towards me. The bolts of lightning momentarily hotter than the surface of the sun, that crackles across the sky or hits the ground. Huge booms of thunder rattling the house.

Learning how something like a thunderstorm develops is always better when watching it live outside :p

The last 'big' storm for me was probably May 2008. Whilst I've had some thundery showers since then, the storm back then started late evening and lit up the dark sky. I've been craving one like that night again since!

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

For me its has to be the best free experience there is, providing your housee isn't struk of course!

Nothing beats the excitement of an approaching storm, wondering if it might produce a tornado even

Though i know there's next to no chance of it happening.

I do confess to being scared of storms though, I know that may sound strange

But to watch a storm, I have to be in a car or inside a building.

But Let's hope we get some decent thunderstorms this summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Hi Barry!

In Summer there is nothing like a violent thunderstorm. I have got some fairly early memories of thunderstorms which may have sparked some interest for me.

Watching and even hearing the rain and hail smash down is exciting in my opinion, and then you have of course the thunder and lightning. When you have an excellent display of lightning darting across the sky and the tremendously loud roar of thunder to follow it, I find it such an exciting spectacle. I just find thunderstorms exhilarating, I don't think I marvel at any weather event more than a powerful thunderstorm.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Hi Barry!In Summer there is nothing like a violent thunderstorm. I have got some fairly early memories of thunderstorms which may have sparked some interest for me.Watching and even hearing the rain and hail smash down is exciting in my opinion, and then you have of course the thunder and lightning. When you have an excellent display of lightning darting across the sky and the tremendously loud roar of thunder to follow it, I find it such an exciting spectacle. I just find thunderstorms exhilarating, I don't think I marvel at any weather event more than a powerful thunderstorm.

You may recall a storm in the early 00s maybe late 90s But it was overnight and we must of had 3 lightning strikes in G Baddow (where I was living at the time) and it woke me up - sounded like a bomb had gone off - amazing storm though. Other very decent storms was one around mid June 2009 and June 1996. Do you recall any other really good ones?

Flash in ones eyes..loud rumble in the ears..cooling, soaking rain drops on the skin?

Any single one of those has its merits - should you get all three then to me it's a result! a bonus..an onslaught of the senses, no questions, no relentless drizzle...no contest.

Doesn't happen very often! So therefore sympathy for storm lovers is pretty much thin on the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

You may recall a storm in the early 00s maybe late 90s But it was overnight and we must of had 3 lightning strikes in G Baddow (where I was living at the time) and it woke me up - sounded like a bomb had gone off - amazing storm though. Other very decent storms was one around mid June 2009 and June 1996. Do you recall any other really good ones?

Did you see the 3rd July 1999 storm that went on from about 11.30PM-12AM to like 5AM ? I know out of all the 90's storms there was, that one sticks out like a sore thumb. Never seen so much lightning in my whole life, it was remarkable and it was from being a kid witnessing them ones that really got me interested in them, I was scared back then, but now, I would gladly be up all night for it and do anything to witness such a storm again. 2001 in July some time again there was a horrific one overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Unfortunately I don't remember a really violent overnight one at that time, I might well have slept all the way through it!June 2009 was a cracker. The garage flooded in that one.I mentioned in the Summer thread what must have been June 2005 (educated guess), that was a violent one from what I can remember. Went from sunny and hot to incredibly dark and stormy within a very short space of time during the afternoon. It's still quite vivid in my memory how quickly it turned.I remember August 2003 having one late in the evening on what I think was the day the UK's hottest ever temperature was recorded, I think that was ok but that is stretching my memory a little.My earliest memory of a thunderstorm was before I was 6 years old (was still living in Sandon at the time) and I remember me, my brother and his friend playing outside in the treehouse when a thunderstorm raged in. We ran into our garage and were scared to come out because it was pretty intense, though it may have seemed a hell of a lot worse at a young age.Last year was pretty crap for thunderstorms, we had an ok one though during what I think was either early June or early July where the lights momentarily went out. It was weird to have a few rumbles of thunder on Christmas day as well. We had an ok one in August too.The best one since 2009 was definitely late June 2011 after those few very hot days. That was certainly nothing short of decent in my opinion but not outstanding. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

I absolutely love Thunderstorms so I hope we do have some, even if there not big I'd still be happy just to have one

Edited by JK1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Lovely pyrotechnic display in the sky - its great though in the last few years at Watford we have had a bit of a storm famine,

Strangely enough it is good lightning storms and blizzards which grab my attention most; we rarely get anything like a full blown hurricane or a tornado in this country but I am quite happy to live without these, they cause too much damage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i enjoy watching storms for the power they hold, lightning does scare me a bit if i'm out in it on my own. I've seen 1 of my mum's cousin who was hit by lightning and killd, from that day i'm a bit scared of tnl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

It is one time when I become, and what I consider 'naturally high' as apposed to a clinical high. I love the awesome power, the excitement, the sound and the beautiful lightning.

I also love the distant growl of an approaching storm and the anticipation waiting for it to arrive. I just LOVE storms so much I could almost die with orgasmic joy. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Because they have the power to ruin the V festival.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Is this topic an honest question?

They're awesome, almost everyone thinks so. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

cant say i do..got woken up at 2 am this morning by one as it rumbled through Calgary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Excitement I guess! Raw power of nature... 

They also generally come at the best time of year too - in summer.

I'm really only keen on the warm, humid thunderstorms though. Those cool ones from endless low pressure are rubbish in comparison as you loose the whole 'atmosphere' that you get from warm, damp air which builds... then explodes!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

I love storms, they dont happen to often here but I like the clouds mainly, the huge cumulonimbus one's can be scary, I remember in June 28th 2012 when a huge cloud was distant from where I was, I never got inside it though, another one hit us and it was not that severe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It was those amazingly sharp-edged convection cells, that I remember from the 1960s, that turned me on to them...It's been a bit of an obsession ever since...Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

The awesome power, the growling and rumbling of a storm as it grows in the distance. The excitement and anticipation when they are forecast for your area.

And the wonderful high I get from them. Glorious. :D

Posted

I've gone off storms. We don't get them anymore and waiting for one in vain,knowing it'll never come is upsetting. Nearest I ever get these days is the storms on Discovery Channel. Try to avoid those too - it's like looking thru' the Lamborghini dealers window and knowing you'll never come close to owning a wheel,never mind the full car. Today was supposed to be the latest in a long line of days with frequent,heavy,thundery showers, but no the sun is cracking the pavement again. Weathermen are crap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The awesome power, the growling and rumbling of a storm as it grows in the distance. The excitement and anticipation when they are forecast for your area.

And the wonderful high I get from them. Glorious. Posted Image

That too; and the realization that we (the all-powerful creation of God) are, ultimately, absolutely powerless, against the forces of Nature...