Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase Day 24 Discussion - Slight risk TX, OK, AR

nsrobins

Posted

A more relaxed or down day today after the events of yesterday.

Conditional risk of structure and hail with a 2% tornado risk exists in the Arkalatex region. OFB induced cells are likely in the Mount Pleasant - Texarkana region just south of the Red River so a trip may be worth it.

It may not be worth creeping into Arkansas for this one. Personally I'd only venture into the moonshine stills and log cabins for a moderate risk. LOL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Not really chasing today    Unless of course some thing pops up whilst we are driving.  we are heading towards Childress

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Dorsetbred, June 1, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Dorsetbred, June 1, 2013 - No reason given

Tom, is there a plan for today?

Posted

Now looking towards upslope storms in New Mexico for tomorrow.  Will turn streaming on once we are on the way again.

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

good luck Tom, seems like you're getting the hang of this navigating lark!

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Dorsetbred, June 2, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Dorsetbred, June 2, 2013 - No reason given

Interesting discussion going on over on Washington Post about Storm chasers today, there are some complete tw...ts out there, but it does seem yesterday's event has raised a few hackles!

Edited by Dorsetbred
Posted

setting off for Childress but nothing to see so will not bore people with hours of endless highway.  

Tom

Posted

Some of us like the highway! By the way Tom, the stream the last couple of days has been really dark. Great for skies, but really poor for normal viewing. Didn't like to mention it yesterday as you were busy lol! I think you had the same problem last year or the one before. Maybe just a simple brightness or contrast thing. When our chicken mate was put in front of the camera it was fine, so seems to be a problem with distance? Anyhoo, just glad for any stream this year & glad you're all okay after last night, was very worried!

Posted

yes yesterday did cause a few raised eyebrows .  How ever I do not think the chasers alone were the problem. All traffic from the interstate was diverted south because they thought the storm was moving to the north east but it didn't.  The other issue was the TV channel that advised people to evacuate their homes, which they did and totally added to the gridlock.  

And yes there were some twits around.

The storm itself was not your normal type supercell and created a low all of its own and was affected by the OFB which sat across Oklahoma. This caught a lot of chaser out.

Tom.

Posted

good luck Tom, seems like you're getting the hang of this navigating lark!

A long way to go before I get anywhere in Arron's league.  Managed ok yesterday though and that was important.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I was on navigation duty yesterday also. Difficult day for sure. We got east into Mustang but traffic was so severe I made the call to head back west right towards the new meso developing on the trailing cell. Weirdly, traffic heading towards the tornado warned cell was a lot clearer than that heading away :) Managed to get back south at 81 towards Minco using primarily gravel roads jumping onto 81 purely for the bridge crossing. The lack of bridges over the Canadian River was primarily responsible for the crazy funnel of chasers and evacuees into Mustang I believe (along with the radio calling for people to evacuate if they had no basement).

Posted

The 'awareness' of chasers has been raised a notch or two by Friday nights events and generally not in a good way unfortunately.

Although I don't expect much to happen anytime soon, it won't be long before terms like 'regulation' and 'guidelines' start being bandied about.