Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Reports of at least 2 tornadoes in Ireland today. A waterspout off Galway bay and a Tornado in Shannon.

I'm sure someone will have more details later.

Here you go: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77434-convective-storm-discussion-31st-july-onwards-2013/page-3#entry2759170

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Posted

Can't remember which one but one of the Irish weather pages on Facebook put up an apology earlier saying that 2 if the funnel reports were faked! Why would people feel the need to do this! Lol!

Posted

I obviously have too much faith in people. I see the Galway one was a fake, it did look a tad strange which I should have noted. Not sure about the shannon image though.

I would say the Shannon one is faked too judging by the picture quality and the thing looks a bit like a large one that hit USA that I remember seeing pictures of.

Posted

There was a textbook thunderstorm over Belfast direction around 5pm yesterday. Would have been a great photo opportunity if I had my camera out with me and got it from Bangor pier.

Edited by The watcher

Posted

Some stunning cloudscapes out there right now - looks like doomsday!

Yes, went down to the pier to try get some photos of the strange shelf cloud that was stretching across the coast line but it had moved overhead and lost it's photogenic touch when I got there.

Posted

Just thought i would share my photos with you all. I went a drive to Donegal the other night to try for the 5th time to get a photo of the Aurora. Any other time i went the cloud had rolled in or levels just weren't high enough. Was well pleased with these. Definitely hooked on the night photography now. First one was taken at An Grianan Ring Fort looking over Fahan and the second was taken at Dunree Fort looking out to the mouth of Lough Swilly towards Fanad Head.

post-1251-0-90754200-1375784771_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-16472600-1375784783_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted

Been watching Saturdays weather avidly in hope that it turns out good as I'm taking the little minx daughter to the Airshow in Newcastle. Looks to be alright so far, mainly sunny with a few scattered showers. It's her Birthday week so my wallet will take a battering but at least I get to see the Airshow also. Posted Image

Posted

For such a small island!

Was in West Kerry for 10+ days and we had a few showers for 1 morning, the rest of it was glorious sunshine in mostly clud free skies. One day even broke the 30 barrier locally in the shade. (The sea was unusually warm too, keep meaning to look at the temps, just haven't got round to it yet. When the -10 850s arrive in December, we'll be whiteouts!!!) Astonishing, because back home here on the east coast, there were floods and thunderstorms! Only on our way home on the 27th did we encounter heavy rain and thunder.... Sorry I missed the deluge, but boy was the west Kerry coast the most beautiful thing in that weather!!!

Anyway, I digress. Hints of a return to warmer conditions as we go through the 2nd half of August. Just like the Donegsl postie said! *slaps forehead*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
A bit late, but a nice shelf cloud over the Galtee Mountains I caught during the storms at the end of July.

Not sure what this cloud is cloud, but looked pretty mean!

Posted Image

EDIT: If the first pic doesn't work, he's a link to another copy http://i.imgur.com/5MWxw74.jpg

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

Posted

Some angry clouds around the last few days in the cooler airmass, but no storms near me. The cooler nights are bliss at least.

Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel in a weeks time, hoping something drier and clearer turns up by months end for the Portrush airshow. Maybe if a few of you are making the trip we could arrange a small meet-up?

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

just having my wettest hour of the year ..and no thunder ..several torrential cells .. all on their way to Belfast ?

ps..here's hoping for a glorious back edge and sunset when it clears ...

Edited by be cause

Posted

Will this low pressure move south of us on Thurs/Fri/Sat or will we be left in a very wet and humid affair?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Nothing too interesting of late happening, slightly on the dry side with a mixed bag of weather. Autumn hot on the heels and possibly a windy affair coming up later next week.

Posted

Last day of summer 2013 and Autumn starting in less than 14 hours. Soon we'll be hunting down on those cold winter spells and looking for some snow. I wonder if we'll see a stormy Autumn for a change.

Posted

Definitely a fresher feel to things today Watcher. I would love a stormy spell through Autumn this year. If i remember rightly the season kicked off early last year, i think the first frost and signs of cold were around the 25th September and it was one of the longest spells of cold hunting that i have ever done! Months and months of pain!! Lol! Early thoughts from various sources on line suggest a colder than average winter but we shall see! To be taken with a pince of salt but here's one of the blogs.

http://kasimsweatherwatcher.com/winter-forecast-201314/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

Definitely a fresher feel to things today Watcher. I would love a stormy spell through Autumn this year. If i remember rightly the season kicked off early last year, i think the first frost and signs of cold were around the 25th September and it was one of the longest spells of cold hunting that i have ever done! Months and months of pain!! Lol! Early thoughts from various sources on line suggest a colder than average winter but we shall see! To be taken with a pince of salt but here's one of the blogs.

http://kasimsweatherwatcher.com/winter-forecast-201314/

Not much point in looking that far ahead yet IMO. Although having said that I'm all for a colder than average winter, at least one decent cold spell, preferably around the New Year, would suit me. Last winter certainly wasn't that bad down here (about 3 major snow days in total, we're doing well if we even manage to get one), certainly better than the year before that.

As for Autumn, I actually wouldn't mind a decent Indian Summer until around the end of September, and perhaps a few Autumn storms for October and November. Next week looks fairly pleasant for most of Ireland, perhaps not the far north and west, although certainly not as warm as England and Wales.

Posted

Well 25 degrees reached in parts today! Always the way the first day the kids go back to school! Looking forward to the discussions over the coming months on here! Hopefully this winter is more fruitful with the white stuff! Some of you done extremely well last winter but events were very localised!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

Its been a good week here so far, plenty of good sunshine. Things will get markedly colder though overnight and into tomorrow, although any rain should be fairly light and scattered, at least until the weekend. Some chilly nights ahead as well, temps could fall to the low single figures in parts of the north and west. We may well see the first frosts of the season over the coming few days.

Posted

Last night was the first real cold i've felt since Spring. Got down to 3 degrees here in Derry and i'm sure it could have got colder in more rural spots. Love these fresh feeling mornings!

Edited by ronan
  • Like 1

Posted

Nights getting markedly early now. I'm starting to get excited about the prospects of winter 2013/14.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

max temp of 12.5c today,coldest day since april.