Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports 8th June

Damone

Posted

Couldn't see anything mentioned on this forum about the storms that occurred over Cornwall this morning, so I thought I'd start one. Hope that's okay.

My area suffered thunderstorms from 5:30a.m. until 8:30a.m. It's the talk of the town as it's so rare to get anything this severe here. The rain was absolutely torrential, and flooded the drains. The contents of my neighbour's pebble-drive is now strewn across the entire street.

I got woken up by loud thunder at 7:00a.m. and for the next hour-and-a-half we had constant thunder. Pretty sure there were several storms active in a small area, because just as one would die away and barely give a rumble, we'd get a loud crash from another sweeping through. The lightning wasn't too severe, and I've sat through worse, but the rain was definitely the most impressive bit. I reckon we had a good month's worth in just one morning.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Check out the SW and Central Southern thread in the regional section, page 11 onwards, there are plenty of reports there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes, same story in Penryn and Falmouth this morning. Lightning actually began at around 2am but was high based and from the incoming French import. But it was so slow moving and hence the longevity of Saturday mornings storm. Things really kicked off around 6am and pretty much everyone was awoken to some of the loudest thunder ive ever head - ground shaking as well at times. Literally peeling thunder right above us, immediately following the lightning. I reckon this was an MCS storm - lots of little cells combining to create a large slow moving downpour which also lasted here for 2 hours roughly with little let up. Road flooding and buildings struck by lightning were the main issues. 

Saturday was akin to the MCS I witnessed on the 28th June 2012 in the Midlands. Whilst the lightning wasnt the major player, it was the rain and thunder that were exceptional. The radar shows how things seemed to intensify around Penryn with rain feeding in from the Truro area and just intensifying as it hit us and hence as one cell seemed to die, another cropped up. One lightning strike and crash of thunder was so near it was enough to knock the power out and internet briefly - very powerful at times. A thoroughly memorable storm but it sounds like this is pretty rare for here but would love to see more!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

It is pretty rare for here, Blizzards, and I really don't expect French imports to pass this close. I still don't think the thunder was that loud, but admittedly I did have my fingers in my ears throughout (brontophobe, sadly), or perhaps you were hit harder where you are?  I do remember a hell of a clap happening about five minutes after I woke up. I actually live in Penryn, and we did get two hits literally one road over from me. There's two burn marks on Helston Road, where the lightning tore some of the tarmac off the pavement. Overall very impressive to get an MCS here.

And my apologies, Lyn-M! I didn't think of heading to the regional section. It'll be intersting to hear other's experience of it, so I'll head there now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It is pretty rare for here, Blizzards, and I really don't expect French imports to pass this close. I still don't think the thunder was that loud, but admittedly I did have my fingers in my ears throughout (brontophobe, sadly), or perhaps you were hit harder where you are?  I do remember a hell of a clap happening about five minutes after I woke up. I actually live in Penryn, and we did get two hits literally one road over from me. There's two burn marks on Helston Road, where the lightning tore some of the tarmac off the pavement. Overall very impressive to get an MCS here.

And my apologies, Lyn-M! I didn't think of heading to the regional section. It'll be intersting to hear other's experience of it, so I'll head there now.

Interesting. For me the Thunder was definitely very loud at times here - maybe because im higher up in Penryn around Tremough with less shelter from the noise - if thats possible. Amazing how close the lightning was then! I will remember that storm for some time I reckon! Helston Road is the part that is one way as you go up Penryn High street from where it branches off the two way system isnt it?

Posted

Found these images of the damaged road as a result of lightning on the Helston Road, Penryn.  http://samshrimpton.tumblr.com/post/52451199845/lightning-strikes-penryn-this-morning-with

Very close to the railway line and the Sidings accommodation at Falmouth University! These lightning strikes were thus about 400m away from me and will explain the sudden immensly loud crashes of Thunder I heard!

Edited by Blizzards