Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Odd Cloud

Posted

Normally I would have called this a holepunch or fallstreak cloud but . . . where's the cirrocumulus or altocumulus? All I saw was the fallstreak. Was it meerly an odd looking cirrus 'mare's tail'?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

I am pretty sure I saw this same cloud at about 10 this morning and thought it looked a little angelic.

Posted

I am pretty sure I saw this same cloud at about 10 this morning and thought it looked a little angelic.

Yep, would have been about that time I took pic.

Knocker: I realise a fallstreak is something different. However, this did look very much like the central inverted cone within a holepumch but without the surrounding cirrocumulus. There was a lot of fine cirrus about but it really did look distinct with a denser texture.

This is a real holepunch I took a wee while ago: the perspective is not the same though as I was almost directly under this one

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

But there doesn't appear to be much Ci in the photo, let alone CC frog, which I suspect is reported much more than it should be. Ci can occur at different levels and in odd shapes which I suspect that's what this is. Then what do I know.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

The cloud is cirrus with virga, precipitation not reaching the ground, these have the knickname of "jellyfish"

• Like 1

Posted

The cloud is cirrus with virga, precipitation not reaching the ground, these have the knickname of "jellyfish"

Posted Image

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Yep, would have been about that time I took pic.

Knocker: I realise a fallstreak is something different. However, this did look very much like the central inverted cone within a holepumch but without the surrounding cirrocumulus. There was a lot of fine cirrus about but it really did look distinct with a denser texture.

This is a real holepunch I took a wee while ago: the perspective is not the same though as I was almost directly under this one

Posted Image

And that is a layer Ac.

Posted

Thanks Sprites, I think the mystery is solved.Knocker: Thanks for clarifying my Ac and Ci

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

It looks like one of those Sprites you see in space !

But it's a Cirrus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Posted Image

This must be mid level cloud with virga.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Normally I would have called this a holepunch or fallstreak cloud but . . . where's the cirrocumulus or altocumulus? All I saw was the fallstreak. Was it meerly an odd looking cirrus 'mare's tail'?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I do like the cirrus, can make a lot of patterns, I especially like mares tails ahead of weather systems. it looks like at the back of the photos the sky has wavy mares tails/cirrus. depending on what way there pointing and if they are pointing up/down or towards a side and how long they are then this can be a sign of different types of weather. can indicate heavy rain and strong winds for example.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

• 2 months later...
  • UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F