Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Dark Lightning

Posted

The US Navy is to investigate the mysterious - and potentially dangerous - phenomenon of 'dark lightning', which could be exposing air passengers to powerful bursts of radiation during storms.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/14/navy-dark-lightning_n_3440446.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D187180

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I would be more worried about the cr4p they serve up as "food"

When flying anyway are we not more closer to external radiation?

Perhaps we were never meant to fly?

Not trying to seem like I am putting this subject down, just saying my thoughts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

dark lightning......ah yes, wasn't Darth Vader the expert or was it the emperor?

Posted

I would be more worried about the cr4p they serve up as "food"

When flying anyway are we not more closer to external radiation?

Perhaps we were never meant to fly?

Not trying to seem like I am putting this subject down, just saying my thoughts.

well you a right if we were meant to fly we would have wings(coming from some one scared of flying lol)

dark lightning......ah yes, wasn't Darth Vader the expert or was it the emperor?

it was the emperor among other sith from the past Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Scientists in the US say they have found a dramatic new electrical-discharge mechanism that could explain how thunderstorms can produce flashes of gamma radiation. Called "dark lightning", the effect is silent, invisible to the eye and a potential threat to aeroplane passengers – at least according to the researchers' models. This is because such lightning has the potential to produce intense terrestrial gamma-ray flashes (TGFs) and could deliver a radiation dose equal to a full-body X-ray-tomography (CT) scan to nearby air travellers.

-----

'Garden-variety thunderstorms'

For a long time, no one could work out where TGFs were coming from. "It was logical to think that if we can see them from space, they must come from the top of the atmosphere," explains physicist and lightning expert Joseph Dwyer of the Florida Institute of Technology, who led this latest work. It turns out that was wrong: "We now know that they come from deep within the atmosphere, from garden-variety thunderstorms," he explains.

All types of thunderstorm, large or small, appear to produce TGFs, with an approximate frequency of one for every thousand bolts of conventional lightning. But until very recently, it was not at all clear how they were doing it. Now Dwyer and colleagues have come up with a physics-based model that offers an explanation and quantifies the potential threat that TGFs pose to aircraft, which routinely fly at similar altitudes.

I have taken a couple of quotes from the article from the following link - 

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2013/apr/17/dark-lightning-sheds-light-on-gamma-ray-mystery

I didn't know about this didn't see it, thanks PP , I must take a read on this subject it looks interesting.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The was a lot of it, around here, last night...

Posted

I would have thought the white variety would cause your brain cells more damage:

Posted Image