Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st June 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

We still have good Cape in eastern areas, if any sunny spells develop then who knows? , although with the upper ridge the trigger temperature is around 40c pmpl.

Posted

The action, I think, is mostly due early hours tomorrow morning,

post-5986-0-76541900-1371552052_thumb.gipost-5986-0-24728500-1371552058_thumb.gipost-5986-0-60538700-1371552063_thumb.gi

The situation is nicely illustrated with the 2m temp forecast. Watch the temperature between midnight and 9am in the SE; should be falling, right?

post-5986-0-42462800-1371552341_thumb.gipost-5986-0-41716900-1371552346_thumb.gipost-5986-0-58958400-1371552351_thumb.gipost-5986-0-73705800-1371552357_thumb.gi

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Looks like this 'event' is turning into a damp squib. The feed of precip miving N from France is dying out over the Channel, leaving a load of clag and cloud to cover S England, suppressing sun and warmth. Sad, the potential was there! Though am still hoping something comes off before the weekend's awful charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yep as expected, 95% of the UK will see nothing thundery this week, plenty of cloud and an uncomfortable humidity. Boring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Humidity now noticeably on the climb around here, although far from having that 'energy' we often get from plume setups. 

Posted

Yep as expected, 95% of the UK will see nothing thundery this week, plenty of cloud and an uncomfortable humidity. Boring.

Blimey, I must invest in one of those:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

My storm warning published on my weather page.

Storm risk for the South-East this afternoon with an area of thundery rain looking threatening over France currently. If this area of thundery does reach our shores then thunderstorms could be sparked off on its northern flank. Relatively high temperatures and very high dew points will theoretically create a boiling pot of deep instability in the atmosphere, possibly leading to explosive thundery activity through tonight and tomorrow.

post-15503-0-35652300-1371554453_thumb.j
Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
Humidity now noticeably on the climb around here, although far from having that 'energy' we often get from plume setups. 

Though there is a small chance of home-grown fun, I think most of the stuff is likely to be imported from France, and that the real warm humid mass is not due to move in until this afternoon, evening,

post-5986-0-32342300-1371554422_thumb.gipost-5986-0-01964100-1371554427_thumb.gipost-5986-0-36427900-1371554432_thumb.gipost-5986-0-42602300-1371554437_thumb.gi

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/324/

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Been over on to UKWW and they tend to broadly agree it seems.

Posted

You know I don't really care if I get a direct hit here locally as photogenic wise its easier to watch a storm spitting out strobe lightning and anvil forks a hundred or so miles away, it can be just as fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Very gray here, and feels cooler for some reason also the wind is picking up, I don't know if this means anything

What i would give for a good storm

I keep asking my wife (who's French) if we can move to france, but she always says no

I think its because she knows that it's not French lifestyle that I'm interested in lol

I'll keep working on it, as i believe I have more chance of moving to France than getting a good storm

Here in the uk!

Posted

My storm warning published on my weather page.

Storm risk for the South-East this afternoon with an area of thundery rain looking threatening over France currently. If this area of thundery does reach our shores then thunderstorms could be sparked off on its northern flank. Relatively high temperatures and very high dew points will theoretically create a boiling pot of deep instability in the atmosphere, possibly leading to explosive thundery activity through tonight and tomorrow.

To be honest however much I love your forecast and wish very much for it to be true, I am quite a bit more pessimistic :cray:

Posted

You can tell this was produced a few years ago - can't remember the last time we had 32C with SSTs of 20C!!! lol

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very gray here, and feels cooler for some reason also the wind is picking up, I don't know if this means anythingWhat i would give for a good stormI keep asking my wife (who's French) if we can move to france, but she always says noI think its because she knows that it's not French lifestyle that I'm interested in lolI'll keep working on it, as i believe I have more chance of moving to France than getting a good stormHere in the uk!

Lol, beg and plead! My brother lives 40kms N of Paris, near Chantilly. I wish I was able to visit this week!!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Maybe its Thursday we should be looking at?

The NAE has some intense rainfall moving up from France during Thursday morning both for the SE and SW related to a low pressure accompanied with high humidity and dewpoints:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Barely a sferic on french soil in the past 15 mins..... Had hoped the frontal cloud may have broken up a bit more also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Lol, beg and plead! My brother lives 40kms N of Paris, near Chantilly. I wish I was able to visit this week!!

every time I have been to France in sping and summer I've had a good Storm, one that seamed quite active to me at the time only to be told by the in Laws that its just a small storm!Makes me sick it does.

Posted

Makes me sick it does.

Sticking my fingers down my throat always makes me sick......

Posted

METAR for Gatwick and Stansted showing a 30% chance of storms into the afternoon, with nottingham also going for rain. A small improvement from this morning where neither METAR was showing anything other than scattered clouds.

Posted

Afternoon all, it's quite an eerie feeling out there at the moment. It would be on days like this that my dog would bury herself behind the sofa cos she knew what was coming!!

Posted

Afternoon all, it's quite an eerie feeling out there at the moment. It would be on days like this that my dog would bury herself behind the sofa cos she knew what was coming!!

Throwing beer-cans at the dog just because you didn't get a t/storm, is not acceptable behaviour ;)

Posted

Blanket of cloud still strewn across the sky....positively pants!

Not a decent break in sight after the promising breaks which appeared this morning.

Posted

Curiously enough, GooFuS 6z was pretty much the coolest run for this week,

post-5986-0-87244300-1371557199_thumb.pn

Blanket of cloud still strewn across the sky....positively pants!

Not a decent break in sight after the promising breaks which appeared this morning.

Yes, milky pants stratus deritus here in Rochester, too.