Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather station Wind Direction help

ok this is going to make me sound so think. I have set my weather station up and the Anemometers for wind speed and wind direction. now I set the unit up to north points north.

and heres my very silly problem, today I know the wind is coming down from the north, I would call this a north wind.....but my weather station tells me is blowing south(as that's where it points to so it reports is  a south bearing direction. ???

do I need to turn my unit so south is north lol. or is  south bearing  mean its coming from the north lol

Posted

You need spin it on the pole basically.It's easily done, but might you have put the vane on 180 degrees wrong?There's probably an option in the software to set an offset which could be 180 degrees but best get up that pole really.

A wind from the north should be flapping around 0 - 360 and show as north on the console

thanks for posting back, the unit come built and just said make sure the north mark on it is pointing to the north.....just my luck its made wrong  and they have put the vane on wrong. I will get it back down in the morning and run some test on it., going to stick a fan next to it blowing from the north and see what the reading is before I start to take it apart., I was sure I was going mad. had a Davis years ago but it seems I have forgot how to use a vane now (miss my davis ) ,lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

thanks for posting back, the unit come built and just said make sure the north mark on it is pointing to the north.....just my luck its made wrong  and they have put the vane on wrong. I will get it back down in the morning and run some test on it., going to stick a fan next to it blowing from the north and see what the reading is before I start to take it apart., I was sure I was going mad. had a Davis years ago but it seems I have forgot how to use a vane now (miss my davis ) ,lol

I seem to remember some stations where you could take the top off of the vane and there would a red line or something similar, you would line it up with another line on the vane itself and then point the whole thing North?