Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm and Sunny, Winter: Cold and Snowy

The wind for the past month or two has been amazing, I seriously can't remember anything quite like it. I mean gales have always been something which turns up for a good few days in the year (normally around November from what I recall), but I never remember anything so set in as what we're currently experiencing. Neither in duration nor intensity.

Two questions:

Firstly I've always thought that wind was something to do with changes in pressure, however the weather doesn't seem to be changing significantly from prior and post these windy days. Have I got my theory on what causes wind wrong. What's causing it at the moment?

Secondly, when was the last time that it's been this windy for so long. It's looking like a real possibility Wimbledon could be a joke with the ball blowing all over the place, and Glastonbury goers could be in danger from the wind, not from the rain... I don't think that's been said many times before. Is this nothing more than selective memory?

Posted

It actually seems less windy here than is often the case as I have been able to do spot weeding of docks and such no bother (not really possible on windy days)It has got strong today though.

I think it has often been worse in the south and that will likely be a symptom of the jet being far south of normal and High Pressure to the north.

Posted

very true i cannot stand wind at all, i can't see the fascination with it, its noisy and damages things, esp if we get a easterly wind it feels cold and horrible in spring and summer

last tuesday was very very calm it was like being inside it felt nice, but if it does get to hot i do like a bit of a breeze to move the air about

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

they are going to replace our local windfarm,putting up 9 huge ones instead of the 23 that have stood for 20 years  on ovenden moor,yet they have also said that it is 15% less windy than in 1993??/ work that out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Wind has killed my fence (again)

Wind is my least fav weather after long long cold (as they both cost me money)

Posted

It's a good question Articolour and I am also interested to know why much of this year has been so windy in some parts of the country, the South East in particular.

NB: Welcome to Netweather. Could you please put your location either in your profile or signature. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm and Sunny, Winter: Cold and Snowy

It's a good question Articolour and I am also interested to know why much of this year has been so windy in some parts of the country, the South East in particular.

NB: Welcome to Netweather. Could you please put your location either in your profile or signature. Posted Image

Thank you for the reminder! Location is pretty essential information when it comes to weather.

The warm welcome is appreciated, long time reader of the forecast model forum, thought I'd give the rest of the board a look whilst I was at it

Posted

It seems to have been slightly less windy than recent June's in my location at least.

Below are my recorded average monthly wind speeds and the highest gust that month(this includes the night when wind often falls calm here in the valley)

June 2011: 5.3mph....... 40mph

June 2012: 5.8mph....... 38mph

June 2013 so far: 4.6mph....... 31mph

June 2011 and 2012 did each contain a notably windy event for June.

I think it could be a matter of location different wind directions, and how local topography and exposure effects wind speeds from different directions, both at my location and yours/other locations possibly, but then I could be wrong and it could be I have just stronger winds for me this month have come for more sheltered directions for me.