Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 12z 30/06/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

I like my heat but +20c can stay away for me that would be just awful if they arrived far too hot and uncomfortable

what temps would they bring if that happened?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

35 celsius plus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

2 things ive noticed from the ECM mean. Firstly it supports the rise in presure from the south and the warm upper temperatures in the SE on Thursday. Secondly at T+240 look at the extent of the warmth.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Record breaking I would except probably pushing close to 40c in some spots which is not nice at all you'd be stuck in doors most of the afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I think it result in summer 2003 or July 2006 levels of heat. hence I feel interested as the isotherm is getting a far north as central France at the moment. Developing a southerly flow instead of an Easterly would drag the heat towards us further and hence the difference between a very warm and settled spell and a full on heatwave.

ECM ens is suggesting a settled spell lasting at least 5 days with good temperatures to boot with the +10C isotherm covering most of the UK

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

looks like at least a good week of fine weather if the 12z ecm mean is to be believed. 

post-6981-0-22245100-1372624981_thumb.gi

thats a good day 10 mean. is it supported by the spreads? 

post-6981-0-01994800-1372625037_thumb.gi

you bet!

infact, looking at the N H plot

post-6981-0-78626000-1372625004_thumb.gi

reveals the darkest red/purple line which reflects where there is little variance from the mean wrt upper height pattern is across the uk.  thats a rarity indeed at T240. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

I think it result in summer 2003 or July 2006 levels of heat. hence I feel interested as the isotherm is getting a far north as central France at the moment. Developing a southerly flow instead of an Easterly would drag the heat towards us further and hence the difference between a very warm and settled spell and a full on heatwave.

ECM ens is suggesting a settled spell lasting at least 5 days with good temperatures to boot with the +10C isotherm covering most of the UK

i was younger so can't really remember 2003 heatwave was like and 2006 i was in carribean.

Record breaking I would except probably pushing close to 40c in some spots which is not nice at all you'd be stuck in doors most of the afternoon

personaly i would love that, & would mean i could actually go in sea without being too cold lol

Edited by JK1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

i was younger so can't really remember 2003 heatwave was like and 2006 i was in carribean.

I can tell you now, it was absolutely spot on mate. 2003 was stifling though and quite oppressive, but awesome at the same time. Very impressive thunderstorms followed up after it too on the evening of the hottest ever day, particularly in the Midlands up into Lincs. 

I think 2006 was the nicest feeling in terms of the heat. Had a proper Mediterranean feel to it, that nice hot, dry and crisp feel, just beautiful :)

Lets hope 2013 can square up to it.

Posted

amusing reading the last few pages that the same folk in some cases who were telling us that summer was 'over' a week or so ago are now on the 35C+ band waggon for a prologed spell.

take heed new folk.

I'll post tomorrow morning on the 500mb charts and longer term links.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cracking charts tonight. Even should the High retrogress, the Azores high finally making excellent attempts to ridge in would lead me to think it would do so later on in the summer too - It could retrogress then ridge again. The Jet looks like finally going to its normal summer position. This is totally a different story to the last 6 summers. Finally will we see true summer?!? 

Posted

I can tell you now, it was absolutely spot on mate. 2003 was stifling though and quite oppressive, but awesome at the same time. Very impressive thunderstorms followed up after it too on the evening of the hottest ever day, particularly in the Midlands up into Lincs. I think 2006 was the nicest feeling in terms of the heat. Had a proper Mediterranean feel to it, that nice hot, dry and crisp feel, just beautiful :)Lets hope 2013 can square up to it.

I remember that Sunday it hit 38c here, was on way to Southern Germany, by car, driving through France. Then one night in Southern Germany there was one almighty thunderstorm. In fact before it arrived you could see it flashing away over beyond the Black Forest. Here I doubt we'd see anything like 38c again for a very long time. It was exceptional conditions that led to that heat and many, unusual, things would need to occur for it to be possible.

Posted

amusing reading the last few pages that the same folk in some cases who were telling us that summer was 'over' a week or so ago are now on the 35C+ band waggon for a prologed spell.take heed new folk. I'll post tomorrow morning on the 500mb charts and longer term links.

Not sure who that was aimed at? But I think 25 to 30 celsius is very realistic considering london reached 27 celsius today.

Posted

35c+ really isnt that bad guys. It has been 36c where i am the past 2 days and i have coped fine (apart from excersise and this only resulted in a sweat) the reason many of us dont like it is because the humidity it usually brings with it when we get a heatwave here in england. So yes 35c with high humidity would be horrid, no arguments. But a dry 35-40c isnt too bad and is bareable. Its just when we get heat here, humidity is usually dragged up with it. Just as a discalimer, this isnt me saying we will get 35c+ temps, just putting a point across.

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Oh what a lovely GFS 18Z with pressure high for most of the run, with only a few small hiccups as the high pressure relocates for a time but it soon moves back at the end of the run!

Posted Image

I forgot to mention the CMA which is also another great run starting from 120hrs to the end, with very warm/hot 850hPa air touching the south coast at 216hrs:

Posted ImagePosted Image

And I wonder what conditions this chart will bring to the UK with high pressure over Scandi and the Atlantic?

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

drought minister anyone?Posted Image

its been pretty dry here in the south wales valleys Panayiotis them ensembles look like its going to stay that way too....

Edited by BALE1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I was just about to post "Should we start talking about drought?" Posted Image But you have started Posted Image

For my area:

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/graphe_ens3.php?x=203&ext=1&y=140&run=18&runpara=0

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Looks good for a good spell of summer weather. If one was to be fussy then it would be the azores high refusing to get beyond the UK and all models wanting to retreat the heights back westwards later on. Still it's at least a good 5 days at least of pretty much UK wise settled and very warm weather which is not to be sneezed at.

There is some serious heat building over Spain over the coming week which looks like setting in with temperatures in Spain/Southern France reaching the high 30s possibly 40C +. If the high could push into Scandinavia and bring in South/South Easterly winds then we could be looking at a substantial heatwave. But that is just hopecasting at the moment Posted Image

exactly my thoughts this morning.... yes we look certain to get the best warm/hot spell for 7 years, but with the models suggesting the high retrogressing back to the azores itll shut the door on any thundery plumes and the highest of the temps. its looking this morning like a 5 day wonder....im not moaning at that btw! 

id prefer to see pressure drop and remain reletively low over the azores area.

Not sure who that was aimed at? But I think 25 to 30 celsius is very realistic considering london reached 27 celsius today.

yeah i was wondering that. i have been very pessimistic about anything nice happening this summer, but ive not once mentioned 30+ temps....

Posted

you missed the point Frosty; my comment concerned those who not long ago said summer is over looking at the charts and now back the idea that there will be a spell of heat for early July?

Posted

you missed the point Frosty; my comment concerned those who not long ago said summer is over looking at the charts and now back the idea that there will be a spell of heat for early July?

yes John, apologies, I see what you meant. It's looking like a prolonged spell of warm & settled weather is locked and loaded, as for FI retrogression, not concerned about that as it has a good chance of being wrong.

Edited by Frosty039

Posted

exactly my thoughts this morning.... yes we look certain to get the best warm/hot spell for 7 years, but with the models suggesting the high retrogressing back to the azores itll shut the door on any thundery plumes and the highest of the temps. its looking this morning like a 5 day wonder....im not moaning at that btw! 

Why emphasise the negatives from what are a stunning set of runs this morning out to Wednesday- and that retrogression is not certain anyway. Looks like the uppers will remain very warm even if the high slips west.

Posted

Why emphasise the negatives from what are a stunning set of runs this morning out to Wednesday- and that retrogression is not certain anyway. Looks like the uppers will remain very warm even if the high slips west.

yes scorcher let's accentuate the positives, there are a lot of those this morning.Posted Image

Posted
Posted · Hidden by shuggee, July 1, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by shuggee, July 1, 2013 - No reason given

yes John, apologies, I see what you meant. It's looking like a prolonged spell of warm & settled weather is locked and loaded, as for FI retrogression, not concerned about that as it has a good chance of being wrong.

More proof that certain members spending days on end patronising members who are looking in the models for warm shots may come back to bite them. Some good midrange forecasting by Frosty et al, assuming the warm spell verifies - which looks likely now.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

29th June 1976

Posted ImagePosted Image

6th July 2013

Posted ImagePosted Image

Apart from the uppers they look remarkably similar

What I do remember about the heat of 1976 was that it seemed to be a dry heat (NE England) so although it was hot, it was bearable. Those charts do look similar and at the very least we have 5 days an possibly more of fine weather, even here in Scotland :)