Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2013: thoughts, prospects and forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I've just had a happy thought which momentarily distracted me from the misery of the sun trying to penetrate the black curtains.... in 12 short week's time there'll be hardly any leaves left on the trees!

Noooooooooo!

I like life and green and stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Feel like those leaves only just grew back! Give 'em chance to grow! :lol:

Posted

Noooooooooo!

I like life and green and stuff.

Cycles of life and death an' stuff - can't have one without the other! I'm drawn to the dark side for some reason. Hope your chillis are good, Botts. I can't move for 'em now!

• Like 1

Posted

I think we're overdue a traditional unsettled stormy Autumn. We've had our overdue warm and sunny summer (so far) so it could be our turn this year. Of course it's never as simple as that, would be nice though.Seem to have had quite a lot of dry anticyclonic Autumns in recent years.

I think we're more overdue a notably cold autumn (sub 9C for CET), the last one was 1993.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

puts a smile on my face just thinking about it Posted Image

Yes, at least its cooling down all the way from now apart from the blip of today.

• Like 2

Posted

I think we're more overdue a notably cold autumn (sub 9C for CET), the last one was 1993.

Thanks for the videos, lost my motivation for snow between 97 and 08 as It was so crap it was not worth it, I only saw a maximum depth of 2 inches between those years, 1993 was a decent late Autumn, 95 and 88 from memory were ok, although 88 was followed by one of the all time dyer winters.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oh great you already have an Autumn thread already open... just updated my avatar and signature and now I don't feel guilty at all in asking what do you guys think the second half of September will be doing this year?

Edited by djrikki
  • Like 1

Posted

Oh great you already have an Autumn thread already open... just updated my avatar and signature and now I don't feel guilty at all in asking what do you guys think the second half of September will be doing this year?

Purely a guess with no science behind it but above average temps is my guess, I don't remember many cold Septembers in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Ah, Autumn, my favourite time of the year. Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness and football. For a really intense colour display, we need adequate rain from now on and cold, bright, sunny days later on. So some of that please.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I did notice yesterday morning at 6am how shadowy things looked, and that the sunlight looked sort of washed out. Autumn is not far now.

• Like 1

Posted

I did notice yesterday morning at 6am how shadowy things looked, and that the sunlight looked sort of washed out. Autumn is not far now.

It's Lughnasadh, next Wednesday, the halfway point between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox. So we are about to leave the period in our seasonal cycle we get the most daylight. Once pass, Lughnasadh, we are really on the slippery slope.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

It's Lughnasadh, next Wednesday, the halfway point between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox. So we are about to leave the period in our seasonal cycle we get the most daylight. Once pass, Lughnasadh, we are really on the slippery slope.

Interesting, thank you.
  • Like 1

Posted

Is that otherwise known as a 'cross-quarter day', or am I thinking of something else?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

This thread has made me read Keats

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Purely a guess with no science behind it but above average temps is my guess, I don't remember many cold Septembers in my lifetime.

The last exceptionally cold September was 1986 and since then the only decently cool Septembers have been 1992, 1993, 1994 and 2012.

• Like 1

Posted

The CFS V2 model is continuing it's theme of extensive Northern blocking over the winter period, in fact starting as early as November. If it verifies we could be looking at a long winter for those who don't like the cold.Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The CFS V2 model is continuing it's theme of extensive Northern blocking over the winter period, in fact starting as early as November. If it verifies we could be looking at a long winter for those who don't like the cold.Posted Image

Noooo, it is not that I do not like the cold, just the long periods of extreme cold, plus the leccy bill I get at the end of it.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

Posted

Noooo, it is not that I do not like the cold, just the long periods of extreme cold, plus the leccy bill I get at the end of it.

Luckily for you it's just a prediction. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

The CFS V2 model run which goes out to 6000+ hours (run CFS 9 mois ) on Meteociel has not

been updated since 25/07/13 or is their another link.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The CFS V2 model run which goes out to 6000+ hours (run CFS 9 mois ) on Meteociel has not

been updated since 25/07/13 or is their another link.

The anomalies from the latest run can be found here

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfsme_cartes.php?ech=3&code=0&carte=0&mode=4&run=10

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Sounds great, unfortunately useless.

Personally i prefer my cold in the Nov-Jan timeframe so winter 06 is about the minimum i want from a winter with winter 10 and 11 being very good. Last year needed more early cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Tally ho! At least the guys & gals at Centrica and EON will be rubbing their hands with glee!

• Like 1

Posted

Tally ho! At least the guys & gals at Centrica and EON will be rubbing their hands with glee!

The bad side of winter but hey, everything has it's price. Meanwhile the barbecue/ice cream/suntan lotion/cheapo burger/fizzy lager etc etc etc vendors can scuttle off and count their loot...  I've just figured that my leccy bill is more in summer than winter 'cos of all the damn fans I've got running all the time!

Edited by laserguy
  • Like 4

Posted

The bad side of winter but hey, everything has it's price. Meanwhile the barbecue/ice cream/suntan lotion/cheapo burger/fizzy lager etc etc etc vendors can scuttle off and count their loot...  I've just figured that my leccy bill is more in summer than winter 'cos of all the damn fans I've got running all the time!

Lol, I had a fan but the Mrs complained it was hurting her wrist wafting my brow, stop that you naughty buggers!

• Like 2