Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Well, sunny again but still clouds about so the showers may well linger. Yes, I was looking at the radar returns, interesting how quickly they fired up over Deeside this morning. Temps did fall, 26 to 23 now. Can't grumble though - on hols this week & the weather has been glorious.

I can't recall the last good thunderstorm we had up here that was actually imported from down south via the continent. Must be a fair few years. Next week *could* be interesting but as with all th/storms, they are - literally! - hit 'n' miss affairs! :D

Posted

hello ,,

all i can is the weather is awesome ,, love my cold weather , love the rain ( in decent amounts ) but this is just glorious ..

I felt hot in Glasgow ,, that doesnt happen very often :) 

Cheers .............

• Like 1

Posted

Second hottest day of the year in NE Fife at 27c (only last Friday was hotter at 28.5c). Sunny spells. The haar is coming...question is when!?!

Posted

Superb pure blue sky with well scattered white clouds and feeling very warm. This has got to be the best summer month since July 2006 with 11 days of temperatures of above 20C and 13 consecutive dry days. Very good weather for the Open at Muirfield.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted

Ripper of a afternoon here only a few puffy clouds a little breeze though so not overly hot it perfect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Cracking day here in Lochgelly, Iam showing 29.5 on my weather station in the shadiest part of the garden. Some variable cloud just coming in with some quite dark bases now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Not a good couple of days to be stuck on night shift, but the hot stuff will still be around at the weekend.

Is there a breakdown looming in August then?

Still struggling to remember the last time we had it so good. Someone mentioned July 2006, seems a good shout. Spring was nice that year too I believe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

At 28C the hottest my ws has reached this year(and indeed since 2006 at least). Agrees with the local Met o site a couple of miles away near Invergowrie. Some local weather sites including Dundee West have tipped the magic 30Cbut are unofficial and probably reading a bit high.

When is the wind going to start coming in from the East? A bit cooler will be nice but Haar, no ta.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Can somebody give me a link to that site that shows storm or lightning? We're on top of a hill here and once had the Sky box and phone line melted - need to keep an eye out now with the router.

Posted

At 28C the hottest my ws has reached this year(and indeed since 2006 at least). Agrees with the local Met o site a couple of miles away near Invergowrie. Some local weather sites including Dundee West have tipped the magic 30Cbut are unofficial and probably reading a bit high.When is the wind going to start coming in from the East? A bit cooler will be nice but Haar, no ta.

Similar here...Leuchars recording 28.2c at 6pm and the temp here in Crail has risen from 26c when I came home at 5.30pm to 27.6c just now. Almost identical values to last Friday. Incredible stuff. [Edit: looks like the high at Leuchars was 28.9c; pipped by Aboyne at 29.0]

Tomorrow may be very different, but like you I don't mind the dip in temperature so long as the haar stays away.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Hottest day of this remarkable spell, max 28.6C with no seabreeze. That makes it the hottest day in Baintown since 28.6C recorded on 21st August 1995 (site 300m NW of current one). The 3rd day with a max at least 28.0C in this spell. Still 25.5C at 8pm. The westerly wind increased this afternoon and has veered NW. Towering Cumulus congestus around 2-3pm.

As for the haar, should become extensive tomorrow night after a sunny day.

I should add although my site is not official the Stevenson screen and liquid in glass thermometers are Met Office spec and the LIGS were recently calibrated at a UKAS lab.

Edited by snow1975
  • Like 2

Posted

There's me thinking proper summer spells were a thing of the past! Just superb. Killing my wallet though. Beer garden after work is hard to refuse :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This is a perfect summer evening!! Posted Image

It is indeed, AWT...It's down to 17C already...Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

What's this level 3 heatwave pish doon south? Southern softies in winter, southern softies in summer - I dunno! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Chillin 'IN' the Ciste Gully on CairnGorm Mountain a couple of days ago, photo blatantly nicked from facebook!

Posted Image

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Looks like I'll have to go away more often if this is what happens...  Still pottering/clambering in southern French Alps, thoroughly enjoying daytime max ~26C and night-time min ~15C. Up until today we were just getting the odd afternoon rumble after a blue start to the day; today was overcast and wet from mid-afternoon, then some lovely wispy cloud drifting around the valley.  Snow is lower than usual for the time of year here - like us they had a long cold winter - so some of the walks up to high cols have been enlivened by snowball fights and rather pathetic attempts at skiing on melting snow with just boots on... Bring bum-sliders next time! I've enjoyed seeing plants emerge on the edges of snow-patches and flower within a day, sometimes pushing up through the dirty sugar snow - Soldanella alpina is a wee beauty unfortunately absent from the Scottish Highlands.  Photos in a week or 2 I hope.

• Like 1

Posted

Max of 27.9C today. Warmest since I moved here and started recording in 2009.

Posted

Sea fog /low cloud rolling in tonight . Neeps will take in the dampness through their leaves, still getting bigger by the day in spite of the heat and dry. Made it to 24c today. Starting to work like Europeans doing physical jobs late and early and tractor work in the middle of the day with air con. Making another batch of hay to save on plastic costs.

Standing uncut grass is now crunchy to walk on.Baled a small bit of silage next to wood and found an a dead grass snake on the edge of one round bale this morning. They usually get out of the way pronto. Spring barley still green and grain filling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Nice sunny warm start to the day. I am going to Paris on Sunday for 5 days and it's going to be hot hot hot and very humid. I better get a cracking thunderstorm out of it! :)

Posted

Sunny start but the haar has rolled into Aberdeen. Hopefully it hasn't extended inland for hometime!

Posted

I was hoping to leave work early today to enjoy the sun but scotrail appears to have melted! ! Again!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Sunny start but the haar has rolled into Aberdeen. Hopefully it hasn't extended inland for hometime!

Hmm, still sunny skies here but I fear this is a sign of things to come for the weekend.'Only' 21c here this afternoon with a SEly sea breeze. Feels cool after yesterday's 29c.