Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 17th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Now that's a good question! Who did win it? I know I was in one of the last rounds but I realised reading your post that I don't I know who did?

Love a bit of snow talk when it's 22c at 8:30pm Posted Image

Hi Lottie,

Yes sorry, I was up to my eyes in preparing for moving and snowed under (ouch) with stuff to do and it was a bit cobbled together tbh but would like to run a more coherent competition next winter. It was a 3 way tie between your good self, Snowbob (Addington) and err cant remember. If you dig out the Regional Thread archive for March, it will be in there somewhere!

Btw, your prize is one of Steve Murrs chocolate tea-pots and a packet of cigars (close but no, variety).

Go on I'll throw in a course on how to swear by Ian (even larger teapot) Brown, as well.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Ha ha..I think I was just in a favoured location with snow from the east in a streamer style set up a couple of times and that helped. We don't do too badly considering how close to the sea we are just because of how close to France this area is.

Same goes for the heat/storm situation in the summer. Poor Victor Meldrew was in Deal a couple if weeks back, plagued with a breeze and murk while it was sunny, warm and no breezes here!

Something to do with being sandwiched between the hills that surround the town to the north, northwest and east along with the sea to the south, southeast and southwest Posted Image

Btw Lottie,

You live near prime snow chase territory, imo, Capel-le-Ferne. Snow chased there a couple of times, they were great days out, followed by fish n'chips in Folkestone.

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Im pretty sure MKSA would have had this thread back on topic pretty smartish but no, she chose to become a Hastings Pirate instead, and is probably sailing across Rye Bay with Johnny Depp as I type. Pah.

Ahoy Mateys, 

I'm back from my swashbuckling now but not before Johnny and I made a sand castle ....

post-10773-0-07771000-1374437043_thumb.j

So just to keep us all on topic...let's talk storms..Posted Image

post-10773-0-82574700-1374437117_thumb.j

Disclaimer: Remember forecasts and are not guaranteed to happen, all Storm, Tornado, Blizzard and Hurricane warnings issued have the words “possible" or “probable†in them, you will not necessarily experience these events but that does not mean that they couldn't have happened!

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Not much chance of a Lightning Strike Cup competition then Tom ??   Posted Image

Well you guys can have one, dont count me in though. Difficult to register lightning strikes from under a duvet, 3 pillows, then every light on in the house, not forgetting all curtains closed and finally very loud music!

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

So just to keep us all on topic...let's talk storms..Posted Image

Posted Image1069288_480555948703623_568311394_n.jpg

Disclaimer: Remember forecasts and are not guaranteed to happen, all Storm, Tornado, Blizzard and Hurricane warnings issued have the words “possible" or “probable†in them, you will not necessarily experience these events but that does not mean that they couldn't have happened!

Would like to say also that the chart above is for Monday through to Tuesday. 

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Well a better day today, no where as near hot and sticky.

Well you guys can have one, dont count me in though. Difficult to register lightning strikes from under a duvet, 3 pillows, then every light on in the house, not forgetting all curtains closed and finally very loud music!

Tom.

In that case I might stand a good chance of not coming lastPosted Image

I see the humidity is going back up although the house feels cooler tonight which is probably due to the sun not being out so long today.  If you watch Sat24 you can see that cloud explode over France.

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

Edited by chris mantle

Posted

Right tonights storm risk. I'll throw in the latest situation from our French neighbours pov.

Posted Image

This being reported from the Cherbourg Pen:

Ca y est apres une belle soiree, l'orage arrive ici aussi, ca tonne et de grosses gouttes commencent a tomber!

Any ideas, no hovercrafts or eels, please?

Tom.

Posted

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

Hi all

Just a quick update

Tomorrow. Hot. 30 to 33 and feeling humid

A chance of some flashes far west late pm

Tomorrow night very humid with the odd storm

Tuesday

Again hot and very humid

Temps around 30 to poss 34

Lunchtime on some storms brewing west of london

Getting more intense as they move east and north east

A very lively late tuesday and wed morning

With some torrential downpours

And potential flash flooding

Be on the radar from tuesday am

Take care all

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Evening all, back from Holland, had a fab time, hot but with a refreshing breeze from the sea :) Back in Narrrfolk  - dull, cloudy and postively cold when we landed  - pfft! Hoping that the sunshine returns asap, can't abide the thought of any more dull grey days (unless it comes with some drizzle!)

Posted

Right tonights storm risk. I'll throw in the latest situation from our French neighbours pov.

Posted Image

This being reported from the Cherbourg Pen:

Ca y est apres une belle soiree, l'orage arrive ici aussi, ca tonne et de grosses gouttes commencent a tomber!

Any ideas, no hovercrafts or eels, please?

Tom.

My hovercraft is full of eels. STOP.  Send assistance. STOP.  Need to understand why talking in telegram speak. STOP.  Could be way of taking mind off eel situation, now critical. STOP.

Posted

(Roughly translated)

After a lovely day expect rain with thunder (I think) Posted Image

Merci Janine, 

C'est gentille de ta part.

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Evening all, back from Holland, had a fab time, hot but with a refreshing breeze from the sea Posted Image Back in Narrrfolk  - dull, cloudy and postively cold when we landed  - pfft! Hoping that the sunshine returns asap, can't abide the thought of any more dull grey days (unless it comes with some drizzle!)

You like drizzle NS?Posted Image

Posted

Anyone know any good vantage points here in East Sussex for viewing storms??

Ditchling Beacon, Devil's Dyke. the Jack and Jill windmills, Firle Beacon and pretty much anywhere on the South Downs Way provided you are tree-free. Remember though that most of time you'll be the highest thing around so take a lightning conductor or wear rubber soled shoes otherwise the forum could be a member down....

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

This being reported from the Cherbourg Pen:Ca y est apres une belle soiree, l'orage arrive ici aussi, ca tonne et de grosses gouttes commencent a tomber! Any ideas, no hovercrafts or eels, please? Tom.

translated:It's here after a fine evening, lightning has arrived here, it's thundering and large drops have begun to fall.

Posted

Ditchling Beacon, Devil's Dyke. the Jack and Jill windmills, Firle Beacon and pretty much anywhere on the South Downs Way provided you are tree-free. Remember though that most of time you'll be the highest thing around so take a lightning conductor or wear rubber soled shoes otherwise the forum could be a member down....

I know about keeping safe in storms managed to get som great photos in Florida by setting the camera onto a 10 second shutter delay and hoping to catch any lightning as it happens managed to get a few decent lightning shots

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I know about keeping safe in storms managed to get som great photos in Florida by setting the camera onto a 10 second shutter delay and hoping to catch any lightning as it happens managed to get a few decent lightning shots

That's the trick... Locate the storm core and shoot at night. :)

Posted

Je sais Tom,

Alerte Aeroglisseur mon ami! Posted Image

Ok Jan, 

I give up, Rapunzel to the radar?

Btw, looking at Essexwaders more plausible translation are you sure you havnt got one "those" Hungarian type phrase books?

Tom.

Posted

Anyone know any good vantage points here in East Sussex for viewing storms??

It really depends how far you are prepared or able to travel Tom. Inland the South Downs offer some stunning views in all directions. On the coast I would recommend  the Seven Sisters Country Park so anywhere between Eastbourne and Seaford, with Birling Gap being a good location. Further east along the coast I would suggest the East and West cliffs at Hastings, the Firehills in Fairlight and Winchelsea beach.

The options are almost endless in that neck of the woods, though as I say, it all depends on how far you are able or willing to travel.