Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 21st July 2013 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Figured Id show yall a sat image I took ( i think in 2006 ) when we had an epic storm.

It went on for hours and hours and hours.

Lets hope we all see something like this!

post-182-0-30232000-1374437188_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Steering winds bring those storms onto the south coast near Southampton....could be an interesting night for Som/Dorset/Wilts/Hants/Surrey & Sussex if the storms cluster regenerate with nocturrnal cooling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

mixed layer lapse rates look very conducive for elevated convection overnight, so nocturnal cooling should play a factor, lots of instability and energy in the mid-levels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Thinking about heading to Portland Bill...what do you think our chanceson storms are? Anyone!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

mixed layer lapse rates look very conducive for elevated convection overnight, so nocturnal cooling should play a factor, lots of instability and energy in the mid-levels

Steering winds bring those storms onto the south coast near Southampton....could be an interesting night for Som/Dorset/Wilts/Hants/Surrey & Sussex if the storms cluster regenerate with nocturrnal cooling

A Lightning show tonight more than anything is the most I am expecting, but they may become surface based when they hit the downs though I take it? Urban heat affect can also spice things up and they may re-explode....

Posted

Like the sound of the storms heading my way but would like a eastwood shift in the models in an IMBY sort of view

Posted

Thinking about heading to Portland Bill...what do you think our chanceson storms are? Anyone!?

That takes me back...

Posted

Looks like a cell is heading for Weymouth... Cant see anything from here in Cadgwith 

Posted

get ontop of cheny wiers carpark :) just before the bill..its higher up with better views :)

Posted

ok, a quick snapshot of the ATD Lightning Detector courtesy of NetWeather Extra....

Most of the electrical activity is concentrated on the western flank of this multi-cell cluster, and these more discrete storms are drifting due north across the channel.......they seem to be following the T850/T700 Hpa wind flows suggesting that they are elevated in nature.....I'll be watching the radar with interest as things could get rather lively for southern counties later on tonight

post-4149-0-87371900-1374438284_thumb.pn

Posted

Getting excited about the prospects over the next few days - have just seen some Castellanus streaming in tonight while the light fades...hoping that we may see some lightning off the coast by midnight or early hours.

Posted

Those storms are headng dur north at the moment. Are they due to keep heading that way or will they start getting a more easterly element to their track?

Edit: Snap Staffordshire! You must be thinking the same as me with the direction they appear to be heading in! It's no co-incidence we're both from the West Mids and are asking the same question!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Looks like a tasty MCS...

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looking at the visible radar image the French cell appears to be decaying towards the east, however the band of cloud/moisture approaching us from the west is likely to add fuel for an early hours explosion in the west country, and with any luck to spread across the southern counties during the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

MCS in France? I should have stayed in Holland, far more chance of seeing something Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

WOW,nice developements to the south at the mo,and starting to cross the channel too,heres hoping that i see some of the action tomorrow evening as i am on the morning shift

i am hoping my stormshield will break down from a power cut by a lightning strike nearby lolPosted Image

got my new 1080 hd vid cam ready for it's debut voyage,

good look everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

This webcam might be of use this evening! http://www.starcross-fcc.com/webcam/

Must admit though.. my excitement got the better of me then when I though I had found ball lightning, only to be let down by the realisation that it was infact the moon Posted Image

Posted Image