Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot spell and possible breakdown discussion & temperature reports July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=swindon#.Ue0--G0uf-s

Here's what metcheck says for my location. I should be under a heavy shower, with around 7.9mm of rain after having about 10mm earlier, wheeas there isn't a cloud in the sky and there has been no rain in 2 weeks. I guess they weren't too far off.. Posted Image

Getting back on topic, I think the temperature may have peaked here at 31.6C, however I thought that last hour when the wind picked up slightly and the temperatures started to drop off a little bit. Either way, tonight looks very sticky, especially when that humidity starts kicking in. Currently at 47% here, and that will likely rise as the temperature drops a little.

Yep, it says that on nearly all weather forecasts at the moment. 

It obviously isn't developing as bad or as fast as they first thought. I think it'll hold on for a bit longer yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

26.9c max so far and feeling hot. That slow start has probably prevented any chance of 30c here. As usual low cloud ruining things again... Perhaps if we can at least beat 28.5c to get hottest day of year that'd do!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Think we're destined to never get above 28c- temps held at 27c for half hour now just creeping up again currently 27.2c.

What set up do we need to catch 30c?! Guess there's still time yet with BBC going for 29c peaking 6-7pm. High level cloud appearing now too...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

A rare drop in at this time of year for myself.However being very nearby both heathrow/northolt(renowned hot spots) let my tell you its a sensation only usually experienced in far climbs.back yard temp hovering around.....36.c..outspace temp around 34c currently.WOW.Happy summer,(rest of) see you in the winter threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

the thermometer in the shade in my garden is reading 36.5C.. i'm pretty sure that's a couple of degrees too warm, but either way it does feel absolutely baking out there right now! A tiny bit of low level cloud perhaps stopping us going up another degree

Posted

32.9c at 4:30. 

Posted

At 2pm here the temperature was 31.6 and seemed set to rocket - then I spoke (posted) too soon.  The breeze got up and that's where it peaked.  Currently 31.1, dry with hazy sunshine throughout so far.

Posted

Just notched over to 33.1c, pretty sure that's peaked there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

This is the first time i've been uncomfortably hot since 2006. Since then we've had a fair few 32/33C days, but the extra couple of degrees added to the humidity is making this feel like a scorcher! 

Posted

30.8c here the hottest day for as long as i can remember but i don't feel hot at all which i find bizarre as last week i was struggling badly in the warmth/heat

Edited by Tony27

Posted

This is the first time i've been uncomfortably hot since 2006. Since then we've had a fair few 32/33C days, but the extra couple of degrees added to the humidity is making this feel like a scorcher! 

Shame it's going to dip after this. 

Oh well, can't complain. This sort of spell in the UK is rare. 

It's virtually the same temp as Madrid here, so great. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

30.8c here the hottest day for as long as i can remember but i don't feel hot at all which i find bizarre as last week i was struggling badly in the warmth/heat

Very low humidity for this heat, that's why it's comfortable.  

Posted

'Hot' it is not. Pretty humid but only maxed at 27.5c and now leveling out - >28c is 'hot' so today doesn't (yet) count...  

Dew point only 14c too so really just a pleasantly warm day...

Posted

Very low humidity for this heat, that's why it's comfortable.  

but it was supposed to be very humid today according to many and i was dreading the heat but this is fine, it will probably get worse later though

Edited by Tony27

Posted

Although official readings showing East Midlands at 30c... Not quite sure why my readings are so much lower - perhaps the much cooler house it's next to is doing it... dunno..

Posted

but it was supposed to be very humid today according to many and i was dreading the heat but this is fine, it will probably get worse later though

It really isn't though, that's what so great about it. 

Like I said earlier, I've been to Spain and the humidity is no worse here than there. Usually it's the worst humidity I've felt here because our warm spells don't last long enough because of clashing air which results in humidity. Only place worse than the UK usually is the Far East. Now THAT is humid. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well turned Hot in the end and got to give the Met it's due it got the temps spot on at 26.9C so far. Humidex is 33C so a bit steamy. In 40 minutes the air temp rose 2c so from  being comfy it became a little unpleasant.

Posted

This really has been for me what I'd call the perfect Summer's day. 

32-33c with a light southwesterly breeze, just enough to hit you but doesn't cool you too much like a northerly breeze. Minimal cloud to let the temps rise and low humidity. 

Absolutely perfect Summer's day. 

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

My not very accurate garden thermometer hit 34.1C today - mostly clear all but looking out to the north now seeing the formation of alto-cumulus castellanus which are generally thought of as a precursor to thunderstorms.

My hydrometer isn't working properly but I think we are still in the drier air section, pressure dropping steadily.

I'll miss it when it has gone Posted Image

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

My not very accurate garden thermometer hit 34.1C today - mostly clear all but looking out to the north now seeing the formation of alto-cumulus castellanus which are generally thought of as a precursor to thunderstorms.

My hydrometer isn't working properly but I think we are still in the drier air section, pressure dropping steadily.

In Watford that temp seems feasible. probably slightly lower, but not much. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

24deg at mo. hazy sun trying to come out,been cloudy all day with drizzle earlier

Heat acclimation/acclimatization.

Sure it's been warm recently and there has been a minority of people who have disliked it which is fair enough, but to put it into perspective probably at least 95% of the world population generally regularly experience temperatures as high or higher than in this country. Maybe we need to get a grip.

Anyhow, interestingly Northolt, Heathrow and Kew experienced a drop in temperature between 3pm and 4pm from 33.1c to 31.7c, 33.2c to 31.9c and 33c to 31.5c respectively. Has this scuppered 34 degrees? Heathrow and Northolt have since recovered to 33.0c and 32.0c

Posted

Heat acclimation/acclimatization.

Sure it's been warm recently and there has been a minority of people who have disliked it which is fair enough, but to put it into perspective probably at least 95% of the world population generally regularly experience temperatures as high or higher than in this country. Maybe we need to get a grip.

Anyhow, interestingly Northolt, Heathrow and Kew experienced a drop in temperature between 3pm and 4pm from 33.1c to 31.7c, 33.2c to 31.9c and 33c to 31.5c respectively. Has this scuppered 34 degrees? Heathrow and Northolt have since recovered to 33.0c and 32.0c

It probably has scuppered it, especially as it was after 4:00. 4:30-4:45 is the peak of the day's temp so I can't see it rising enough for Heathrow to touch 34c before the ground and air start to cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Provisional new hottest day of 2013.

Provisional figures from Charlwood, Surrey and Heathrow airport suggest that temperatures have risen above 33.0 C this afternoon. If confirmed, this would mean that today has been the hottest day of 2013 so far. The previous highest temperature of 32.2 C was recorded at Hampton Water Works on Wednesday 17 July. Further updates will be issued later today as observations are received.