Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot spell and possible breakdown discussion & temperature reports July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Provisional new hottest day of 2013.

Provisional figures from Charlwood, Surrey and Heathrow airport suggest that temperatures have risen above 33.0 C this afternoon. If confirmed, this would mean that today has been the hottest day of 2013 so far. The previous highest temperature of 32.2 C was recorded at Hampton Water Works on Wednesday 17 July. Further updates will be issued later today as observations are received.

Looks like I'm going to be extremely close with my 33.7c prediction. 

Strange I managed to hit 33.1c here though, usually a degree or two cooler than Heathrow. Don't know if it was because it was clearer here or what. 

It really isn't though, that's what so great about it. 

Like I said earlier, I've been to Spain and the humidity is no worse here than there. Usually it's the worst humidity I've felt here because our warm spells don't last long enough because of clashing air which results in humidity. Only place worse than the UK usually is the Far East. Now THAT is humid. 

Yes this crops up a lot, the common belief that during warm spells the UK is always more humid than most other places, but it really isn't the case save for dry continental areas which typically make up for the lower humidity with much higher maximum temperatures. Once again I think it is a case of acclimation or not being used to the relatively rare spells of very warm weather.

Posted

'Hot' it is not. Pretty humid but only maxed at 27.5c and now leveling out - >28c is 'hot' so today doesn't (yet) count...  

Dew point only 14c too so really just a pleasantly warm day...

Something wrong here. You say it's "pretty humid" (actually only 44%) but then contradict it with "dew point only 14c too so really just a pleasantly warm day". 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well if it was the hottest day of the year it certainly didn't reach my courtyard! 

Max of 27.5c and now dropping fast - but that is because I've just opened the window and the cold air (22c) in the house is now flying out the window. Can tell its that as house temp rising at same rate as outside is falling. Def getting feeling my sensor is located in a cold spot but then so often it matches official readings so not sure.

Something wrong here. You say it's "pretty humid" (actually only 44%) but then contradict it with "dew point only 14c too so really just a pleasantly warm day". 

Well it does feel more humid than other days of this spell granted. But it isn't that hot temperature wise. 

edit- wow even upstairs isn't warm like it usually is after warm/hot days purely down to the grey morning. It's like the cold Sunday weather got locked in...

Posted

Yes this crops up a lot, the common belief that during warm spells the UK is always more humid than most other places, but it really isn't the case save for dry continental areas which typically make up for the lower humidity with much higher maximum temperatures. Once again I think it is a case of acclimation or not being used to the relatively rare spells of very warm weather.

Most people are terrible thermometers and even worse humidity measurers! You're basically right, in that there is nothing at all notably humid about British hot spells. You might get dewpoints up to about 21C-ish during August 2003, but it won't go much further than that. That is not notable on global scale at all.

Most people are terrible thermometers and even worse humidity measurers! You're basically right, in that there is nothing at all notably humid about British hot spells. You might get dewpoints up to about 21C-ish during August 2003, but it won't go much further than that. That is not notable on global scale at all.

Yes it might be fairer to say that it is only moderately humid here - we don't get day in day out dew points in the mid 20s like the tropics but also we don't get the dry heat with dew points around zero or below. The average person used to our normal weather feels a bit sweaty when we get some warm weather and instantly assumes that it is excessively humid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

According to Tomasz Shaffernaker we may come close to beating the all time record minimum tonight. A low of 23c shown for London Posted Image

Edited by Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Indeed the record is 23.9c I believe. Very small of chance of beating it but very respectable with 22-23c lows.

Posted

Indeed the record is 23.9c I believe. Very small of chance of beating it but very respectable with 22-23c lows.

That's higher than a lot of the mid Summer days we've had in previous years lol. 

Posted

could you imagine the amount of moaning going on if it was 24c 25c at night, we moan when its 17 or 18c at night usually in hot spells

Edited by Tony27

Posted

Looks like I'm going to be extremely close with my 33.7c prediction. 

Strange I managed to hit 33.1c here though, usually a degree or two cooler than Heathrow. Don't know if it was because it was clearer here or what. 

where did you get that temp from? your thermometer which isn't the official reading

Posted

where did you get that temp from? your thermometer which isn't the official reading

Not just my thermometer, my friends and my Dad's. All read the same temperature. 

Might off been very slightly off but it was very close. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

27.9c ended up our max, currently 26.9c. Clouded up a bit now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

it has dropped to 32oC here now

Posted

Got to 33.5c in Heathrow and Northholt. 

I was so damn close with 33.7c lol. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

33.5C, wasn't it?

Oops, yes. Just spotted that. My bad. 

Posted

Same here A, it's actually as warm now as it's been all day here, not sure why we didn't get up to the 30C which I thought we might get, no real reason why not given the hazy sunshine we've had and the wind direction. Still looking like a very warm evening though with temps holding up, still just over 26C here and probably won't fall much through the evening.

Another good day here with largely sunny conditions, although there were various high clouds which made the skies milky at times, more especially this afternoon, Max Temps 26.2c Blackpill, 24.9c Mumbles, both recorded early afternoon, but temps have already cooled back to around 20c this evening.

Posted

A very pleasant 24.8c here at the moment - wonderful wandering in & out the house wearing not a lot... Sure did miss that during the chilly weekend, especially Sunday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

A very pleasant 24.8c here at the moment - wonderful wandering in & out the house wearing not a lot... Sure did miss that during the chilly weekend, especially Sunday!

dreadfully warm here, always hottest part of day after 8pm, (inside) maybe not out, wearing a wet shirt helps amazingingly to cool down

Posted

I think I might kick the food out and sleep in the fridge tonight.

Still 23C at the airport! The BBC are going for a minimum of 21C for Manchester tonight...