Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot spell and possible breakdown discussion & temperature reports July 2013

Coast

Another humid warm day here, sunny/bright am, cloudy pm with some drizzle later afternoon, no heatwave by any means with temps around 21c.

Considering the past week has technically been unsettled, some very good weather has arisen.

Posted

With respect your exposure is quite generous, Heathrow Airport has recorded 5 maxima over 30° this month, with only one day at Doncaster Robin Hood Airport.

I am well aware that my exposure is not as it should be to be a Met O site. However it is a site relevant to most folks back gardens in this area thus is pretty representative of what we all experience in our back gardens. My 17 years data is used to compare what I expereince and is thus perfectly relevant to that.

I do understand the differences believe me, the last 7 years of my professional life involved checking amateur weather sites and grading them.

I could bore you to death with how close my data is/was to RAF Finningley prior to my Davis but I'll spare you that. In brief within 0.5C up to about 1999 for max and min values. Davis is less accurate by some further 0.5C generally but occasionally 0.8-1.0C

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Just had a lot of rain of here, stopped now. Only had one bit of lightning and a clap of thunder though. Certainly been a lot more unsettled here this week, still decent most of the time though. 

Looking like it's going to be very warm and sunny at the start of August :)

I am well aware that my exposure is not as it should be to be a Met O site. However it is a site relevant to most folks back gardens in this area thus is pretty representative of what we all experience in our back gardens. My 17 years data is used to compare what I expereince and is thus perfectly relevant to that.

I do understand the differences believe me, the last 7 years of my professional life involved checking amateur weather sites and grading them.

I could bore you to death with how close my data is/was to RAF Finningley prior to my Davis but I'll spare you that. In brief within 0.5C up to about 1999 for max and min values. Davis is less accurate by some further 0.5C generally but occasionally 0.8-1.0C

Yes, from my own measurements I am familiar with the vagaries of 'non-standard' exposures that are nonetheless representative of a substantial part of the country but only mentioned it because I was aware of your credentials as opposed to those who naively compare their figures, cheers.

Posted

Well we apparently topped out at 29.6oC here in the garden! It certainly felt hot! 29oC at Heathrow I think? Can't believe they got thje forecast so wrong! Was meant to be below 20oC here today and raining all day! Maaan did we have a good storm though! Started at around 7ish? and brought really torrential rain and a lot of huge flashes of lightening and deep rumbles of thunder that went right through your body! We all sat outside under our huge Gazibo and it was sooo nice! Heat was trapped in but with sound of rain around us and the drinks flowing, as bizare as it sounds, it really felt like a good summers evening! :)

Posted

So I see there is a pretty good chance of some hot (30+) temperatures returning at the end of next week! Do we start a new thread for that or do we use this one? haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We can still use this one to post temperatures reports on Thursday and Friday. The recent showery conditions may have been interesting but it ruins the evening when it rains around this time and the grass doesnt dry out until after dark. Very much looking forward to a blast of heat and a pleasant dry weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

August heatwave starts tomorrow

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

August heatwave starts tomorrow

And ends on Friday !!

All joking apart though this looks like being a very short lived plume of hot air, followed by a rapid return to something more unsettled but still on the warm side for some parts of the UK ?

Posted

It looks like being brief but thats all that the entire Summer 2007 saw in the way of heat. Just 1 day on the 5th August.

Posted

It looks like being brief but thats all that the entire Summer 2007 saw in the way of heat. Just 1 day on the 5th August.

That was the warmest day of the summer here, despite the fact it only reached 24.1C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Lovely day here, 28.1C over in Glastonbury area here today, oh yeah and it's my 1000th post!Posted Image

Lovely day here, 28.1C over in Glastonbury area here today, oh yeah and it's my 1000th post!Posted Image

Congrats on 1000 :D

Local weather station is saying 30.3C was the peak today, which is a little hotter than I was expecting, but it sure does feel that hot out.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Roll on Saturday and Sunday and back to pleasant summer weather. Think I'll move to Hedon in summer. :)

Posted

It has been more refreshing here if you want to escape the heat with us seeing temperatures of 24-27c during July rather than the 27-30c of more central locations. I would also appreciate if Reef could confirm if July 2013 was warmer than July 2010 in Hedon which was an especially warm month in the east.

Posted

It has been more refreshing here if you want to escape the heat with us seeing temperatures of 24-27c during July rather than the 27-30c of more central locations. I would also appreciate if Reef could confirm if July 2013 was warmer than July 2010 in Hedon which was an especially warm month in the east.

July 2010:

Mean: 18.2C (+1.6C)

Rainfall: 25.4mm (54%)

Sunshine: 170hrs (89%)

High Maxima: 28.7C

Days >25C: 3

July 2013:

Mean: 18.0C (+1.2C)

Rainfall: 22.6mm (42%)

Sunshine: approx 237hrs (120%)

High Maxima: 26.9C

Days >25C: 7

July 2010 was pretty similar on temperatures and rainfall but was extremely dull compared to this year. Although the absolute max was higher in 2010 it only topped 25C three times compared to seven in 2013. 

I think overall July 2013 was quite a bit better. Not a patch on 2006 though:

July 2006:

Mean: 19.5C (+2.9C)

Rainfall: 16.8mm (36%)

Sunshine: 327hrs (171%)

High Maxima: 29.9C

Days >25C: 16

I doubt we'll ever top that!

Posted

On another note, the temperature has actually started to increase. We're now at 22.2C at 00:25.

The record high minimum temp here is 18.7C set on 10th August 1991. A good bet that could go tonight assuming the temperature doesnt fall if any showers arrive in the morning.