Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

I dont see the interest for thursday? dosent look like much energy at all, thundery showers at best

See we're spoilt now aren't we. Thundery showers would have done nicely so far this Spring/Summer. Now we've had a big one....I suppose it's akin to getting a dusting of snow after the 18th-20th Jan snows had melted this year! Still...a roll of thunder is a roll of thunder, no matter what kind of shower it's in!

Posted

Blimey, thought I'd come on here to celebrate a great event this morning with the chance of a bit more (albeit on a much lesser scale) later this week and all I've done is ended up making everyone miserable!

Ah well...I'll enjoy it anyway!

lol not sure how having no storms for like 7 years then having a few minor ones is being spoilt gord, abit like a starved person having one nice meal then nothing for years and calling him spoilt, we are much more spoilt over snow after having plenty the last 5 years.

Posted

lol not sure how having no storms for like 7 years then having a few minor ones is being spoilt gord, abit like a starved person having one nice meal then nothing for years and calling him spoilt, we are much more spoilt over snow after having plenty the last 5 years.

Fair point! Which is why we would have happily taken the thundery showers before this morning's events! maybe spoilt was the wrong word...lucky would have been a better choice. Don't you agree that this morning's events were pretty sweet?

Edited by Gord

Posted

Yeah was a rare treat though seeing our early deluges come through the area with some sheet lightning as well. Have to say, got my hopes up it may go on throughout the day but in usual british fashion that was soon shown to be wrong. Thursday is looking so so for shower activity with moderate CAPE levels, so let's see, things can change(and usually do) for the better/worse and we wont know until tomorrow evening really. Chances are IMO just scattered showers rather than anything memorable, going by past experience.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Given some of the footage and images I've seen around the country as well, particularly in the SE late last night - I don't think we've got lucky with todays storms. They were storms of corse but the entire event was about 10% as good as last June's effort. 

Posted

Given some of the footage and images I've seen around the country as well, particularly in the SE late last night - I don't think we've got lucky with todays storms. They were storms of corse but the entire event was about 10% as good as last June's effort. 

You see I missed last June's storm. Was on residential with my class up near Newport in Shropshire when that hit...which didn't really get hit by it...so never understood the full force of that one. That was quite gutting reading reports from the Black Country that day.

I'm happy with this morning's effort anyway. Always hard to watch other parts get it better....agree with you there.

Posted

Edgmond Hall by any chance? Nearly got a placement with them Posted Image

Yeah, that's the one!

Posted

Hmmm...signs of development in Bristol? This is where it all started last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Awoken at 4.30 am by bangs and flashes, nearly continuous lightning. What a show! Didn't go directly overhead though, believe it was just to the East of us. Today's been very humid and oppressive.

Not really expecting anything else now - storms currently tracking over more Northern parts are likely to deliver for a few more as the evening progresses.

Slightly less humid feel and a more notable breeze has picked up, we're the wrong side of any action now - although would like to be proven completely wrong lol...

Less than 18% chance is the best I'm going to give at this stage :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
Posted (edited) · Hidden by BlueHedgehog074, July 23, 2013 - I think the video I posted was rubbish anyway!
Hidden by BlueHedgehog074, July 23, 2013 - I think the video I posted was rubbish anyway!

Have to admit, the afternoon has turned out less stormy than I thought with mostly sunny spells and patches of Altocumulus-like cloud, though has been quite pleasant.

The morning part was the treasure-chest of weather, though, with those beastly thunderstorms. And some great loud rumbles at times. (also recorded footage of the thunderstorm in parts which can be viewed here: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77334-convective-storm-risk-discussion-23rd-july-2013-onwards/?p=2748894).

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

We're about to be battered. Sky is almost black, many a year since seen this.

Lucky you! May even throw out a tornado..am quite familiar with the area, great for chasing - Lincs flatlands :) Good timing too, all that pent up energy is about to go boom..Southwell race course, direct hit?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

East of the region again now, miles away from action here, cooler but not sure it feels it, max just 24.3°C, min of 17.7, during storm at around 9.15am

Posted

Oh my word. This is quite incredible - we've missed the majority over the last 24 hours but this has truly made up for it. Under a swathe of torrential echos.

Posted

My god that was a storm!

Had to walk home from the bus stop in what I can only describe as monsoon rain...comfortably warm but boy, did I get wet!!

The drain covers were bubbling water and the cars had to drive down the centre line on the hill, due to the 4ft wide river either side :)

Constant lightning and massive booms of thunder - really seemed like an apocolyptic scene...

Sure wont forget this evening in a hurry! :D 

Still rumbling away here - am hungry for more! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Really hot and sticky here again.