Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Well i've had an absolute awful end to the day! Got woke up at 4:45am this morning by rain, then the thunder came which was awesome! Started out from Brownhills at 7:15am, got to the A38 just to my south and boom...heaviest rain i have ever seen. The sky went pitch black (was like driving at dusk), street lights came on, had to pull over twice. Massive cracks of thunder that shook the car. Drove through Coleshill, Water Orton and Kenilworth and the rain and thunder continued and just as i thought i was safe, driving into Leamington the heavens opened! Got there at 9:45am!! Amazing stuff! It was dangerous at times, couldn't see anything but water and the wipers physically couldn't go fast enough.

Reason why i've had a problem of a day is not the storms, they were awesome, but because i locked my car key in the car and accidentally broke a window trying to get it out. Cost me £50, Autoglass come out tomorrow morning! Could of cried. And now i see Leicestershire is hogging the storms while we are bone dry!

Edited by Matt_in_Walsall

Posted

Very spoiled locally over the past 24hrs, some of the best UK lightning I've ever seen!

Posted

Anything for Shrewsbury tonight? Only a few distant flashes this morning, sunny with patches of Ac now, why can't this area get proper storms any more?

All the fun looks east of us as usual 

Posted

Glad i've not bothered radar watching today, knew it was always going to a North/East takes all event.

Ended up rather warm again in the end today despite a lot of cloud, max of 24.7c, looks like the dry spell continues here, the torrential stuff stayed south east of here last night so not that much fell.

Looks like it's pretty nice till I go on holiday Sunday now bar Thursday Morning, Friday/Saturday especially looking very warm at 25/26c with long spells of sunshine.

Posted

Some parts of Telford got ptetty close to a direct hit this morning, all we had was 4-5 distant flashes/rumbles and a bit of rain. 8 years since the last really big storm here, Birmingham has had 3 in the last 12 months, what's wrong with this area?

Posted

So 2.5 hours later, I have never ever seen a constant storm that delivered such persistent thunder, lightning, and torrential rain in my 22 years. Some pictures attached - the one with the largest swathe of water is the field outside my house- which is now a makeshift pool.

post-4476-0-47482200-1374609954_thumb.jp

post-4476-0-60180800-1374609966_thumb.jp

post-4476-0-54770400-1374609980_thumb.jp

Posted

dontcha know its always notts/lincs etc that always have the fun, despite being as far inland as most of us and yet they always seem to come out on top in these events :(

Posted

lol well this thread isn't exactly a hive of activity tonight, is it? I suspect a lot of people are catching up on some much needed sleep after the fun & games last night.

Apparently the models are starting to toy with the idea of another plume event this weekend.

Bish

Posted · Hidden by nitro_deluxe, July 24, 2013 - Ot
Hidden by nitro_deluxe, July 24, 2013 - Ot

Sleep..sheesh..

Three hours approx from now expecting pure ole shut-eye, nil storms thunder nor any lightning - to hell with them! had my fix now, stuff everyone else Posted Image

Until the weekend latest lol..

Posted

After a dreary start it's turning increasingly sunny now from the South West, still fairly warm/humid, 20.6c with a 15c dewpoint.

Posted

Well Nottingham got absolutely hammered last night, not seen rain like that for a long time. You could virtually hear thunder for the best part of 24 hours in & around Nottingham, one storm just followed another. Best of the thunder/lightning Monday Night with like I say rain of biblical proportions yesterday teatime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Well Nottingham got absolutely hammered last night, not seen rain like that for a long time. You could virtually hear thunder for the best part of 24 hours in & around Nottingham, one storm just followed another. Best of the thunder/lightning Monday Night with like I say rain of biblical proportions yesterday teatime.

Yes that rain yesterday teatime was amazing, like you say Monday night was better for thunder and lightning.

I had limited time last night but drove about 20 miles east to try to pick up that slow moving storm, didn't quite get close enough to see any decent action, bit of lightning, bit of thunder and decent structure.

The was a lot of flooding though, some roads barely passable. I hit something while driving through a flood and ripped off some of the floor under the car, also got loads of warning lights now so I think it got into the electrics :(

Need to work through the pics and videos from the last couple of days, I'm hoping to post all the decent stuff or maybe put it together in a highlights video.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

lol well this thread isn't exactly a hive of activity tonight, is it? I suspect a lot of people are catching up on some much needed sleep after the fun & games last night.

I fell asleep around 5-6pm yesterday (thank goodness I didn't miss anything here)

Apparently the models are starting to toy with the idea of another plume event this weekend.

Ooo I do hope there's something. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Bish

bbc tv weather mentioning that, had it for South east corner mainly, could spread further inland to affect E and SE midlands

Posted

Decent day again today if a little on the cloudy side at times, maxed out just under 24c, looks like 26/27c possible widely across the region Saturday now, will be a nice pre holiday tan top up before Cyprus Sunday :D.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Today i hit 26.5c, Was expecting 23s or 24s and with just fair weather cloud, It was very pleasant Posted Image

Posted

Sounds like the north midlands could well see some thundery action tomorrow afternoon judging by the latest models.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for our Nottingham members, they've been storm-starved so far this summer Posted Image

Bish

Posted

post-19714-0-79115600-1374698323_thumb.j

I'm pretty sure that this was the one that gave you the light show on Monday. Time wise it seems to fit. This was when it passed quite a way to the west of Kettering, heading north.

Edited by Rammie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Let's keep our fingers crossed for our Nottingham members, they've been storm-starved so far this summer Posted Image

Bish

So not jealous !!! Im not complaining

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Sounds like the north midlands could well see some thundery action tomorrow afternoon judging by the latest models.Let's keep our fingers crossed for our Nottingham members, they've been storm-starved so far this summer :angry:Bish

Now, now..not entirely their fault! honest lol.If the current rain goes sparky over Nottingham then I'm on your side :) lucky devils!! Edited by triple_x1

Sounds like the north midlands could well see some thundery action tomorrow afternoon judging by the latest models. Let's keep our fingers crossed for our Nottingham members, they've been storm-starved so far this summer :angry: Bish

Congleton..I'd aim for Congleton. Or, anywhere just east..sincerely hope not for the sanity of a few of our board (bored..) members.