Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 23rd July 2013 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Anyone in the skeggy regionPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Altocumulus clouds here, like last night. 

Posted Image

Posted

The situation appears to be what they call a repeat tho varied

A much stronger jetstream looks to be the extra ingredient...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Decent looking storm over The Wash and Skeggy area. Radar also showing developments right down into East Anglia firing up too. 

Nocturnal cooling along the ThetaE boundary?

Posted

Pretty nice storm heading over me now Posted Image

Hi zak,take some footage for us storm staved earthlings PLEASE,Posted Image

is there anything for the stoke on trent area? we had a storm this morning very load thunder and heavy rain with loads of lightening,but trailed off around 10am with afew lightening strikes,no thunder and light showers....had absolutly nothing since around lunchtime although its still very humid.

Unlikely, warm and dry tomorrow with very pleasant sunny intervals.Next chance..dare I say Thursday and especially may be into the week end as temps nudge up again :) all subject to change, as always when convection is concerned!

Posted

sorry im no expert on this but iv just looked out of the window and noticed some very odd looking clouds,like very long lines in lines one on top of the other...never seen anything like it before 

Posted

sorry im no expert on this but iv just looked out of the window and noticed some very odd looking clouds,like very long lines in lines one on top of the other...never seen anything like it before 

Hi kat,i have seen this before and it kicked off big style several years ago,for us to know where you are,you need to put your location in your profile,and welcome to netweatherPosted Image

Posted

Synopsis:

Moisture plume continues to exit to the North Sea through the first half of the forecast period, but continuing to destabilise due to the presence of a shortwave trough and surface cold front. A rather slack pattern then dominates across the British Isles until an intense upper trough approaches Ireland through the day, and western Britain overnight.

Discussion:

... E + NE ENGLAND, SE, E + N SCOTLAND ...

Moisture plume will continue to destablise with scattered thunderstorms possible between 00z-09z, primarily within the SLGT areas. Existing surface-based and elevated thunderstorms will continue to migrate northeastwards, while further development is possible across parts of East Anglia through the early morning hours, but generally exiting into the North Sea towards dawn and thereafter.

... SCOTLAND, N ENGLAND, N WALES ...

Cooling aloft coupled with diurnal heating will result in 500-700 J/kg CAPE. A shortwave trough will allow scattered showers and a few thunderstorms to develop during the afternoon and early evening. Faster storm motion compared to recent days, despite PWAT values >25mm, should limit the risk of local flooding somewhat, with perhaps some stronger cores producing some small hail.

... IRELAND, NORTHERN IRELAND ...

A shortwave trough will migrate northeastwards across the area from late morning over Munster through until late evening over Ulster. Cooling mid levels accompanying a sharpening upper trough coupled with diurnal heating will result in 800+ J/kg CAPE. As a result, an increase in scattered showers and thunderstorms is expected, spreading from southwest to northeast through the afternoon and evening, particularly across western parts of Ireland and many parts of Northern Ireland. Up to 30kts DLS and LLS will allow cells to become organised, into linear features at times, and with increasingly backed surface winds and rather low LCLs a few funnels or weak tornadoes are possible. Several models suggest the formation of a slow-moving N-S line of showers/storms, or perhaps QLCS, across western parts of Ireland through the evening hours. PWAT values >30mm with frequent showers/storms moving over similar areas may result with some local flash flooding. Hail up to 1.5cm in diameter is also possible in any stronger cores.

... S WALES, SW ENGLAND ...

Main period of interest will be from 18z onwards as a developing frontal system develops beneath a sharpening upper trough and an approaching/strengthening jet left exit. An area of showery rain with embedded elevated thunderstorms will gradually migrate northeastwards across these areas, although with a tendency to lose lightning activity as it moves further inland through the evening. Backed surface winds may allow an isolated funnel or weak tornado to form given rather low LCLs

http://ukasf.co.uk/storm-forecasts/258

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Tomasz Schaffernaker has just shown graphics suggestive of scattered storms 'erupting' around the NW Midlands area tomorrow afternoon. Could tie in with this little area of CAPE shown on the GFS for tomorrow afternoon?

Posted Image

Looks a long shot though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Not the new update but this is the Lifted Index for Thursday....

Posted Image

One to watch.

Posted

does it look something like this ?

if so then its called mackerel skies 

post-15169-0-24647900-1374615590_thumb.j

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altocumulus_mackerel_sky

Edited by john175

Posted

Haha I'd love to but unfortunately dont have a camera Posted Image

What,you must invest in one if you like the sort of weather,although my new 1080 hd vid cam is starting to get cobb webs on it lol

Posted

sorry im sighned in with facebook it was easier haha,im in staffordshire,stoke on trent to be exact......everywhere seems very calm but quite humid,its just those clouds caught my eye,they started off just a grey in colour now theyre black,although im not sure if thats to do with it being quite dark outside.....just seems too quiet :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Some upper wind charts for this weekend (Sat eve) GFS 12z

Posted Image

500hpa ^^

Posted Image

700hpa ^^

Looking interesting and could be some organized storms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Some fairly cruddy images of the thunderstorm that passed between Sleaford and Lincoln earlier this evening, taken on my phone from the train.  Apols for the quality, bit gives some indication of the scale of it.

Posted

Watching my timelapse back, (nothing too interesting I dont think, battery ran out just as the storm kicked off), its funny how clouds move in different directions at different heights.

Actually, while I post this, could someone who knows more about weather than me (everyone) tell me how far away those lower clouds in the distance are approximately?

Posted

What,you must invest in one if you like the sort of weather,although my new 1080 hd vid cam is starting to get cobb webs on it lol

yes kind of altho not quite as drastic...and darker clouds,theres 3 rows of them,and then 2 more rows of longer ones....seem to be drifting over though now :(

Posted

Haha might do in time for winter :) Storms stopped now anyway :/

Posted
Posted · Hidden by ZONE 51, July 24, 2013 - not needed now .. self moderation!
Hidden by ZONE 51, July 24, 2013 - not needed now .. self moderation!

Lazz I'd estimate 20-30M