Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Poll And Chat - Summer 2013 - What Weather Do You Like?

Summer Weather Preferences  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Day-time temperature (tick one box)

2. 2. Weather Type (tick one or multiple boxes)

3. 3. Night-time temperature (tick one box)

4. 4. If you could would you move to another country for the weather types you prefer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Welcome to the summer weather poll 2013

I would like to do some graphs on the results (pie/line..) If in a few weeks the votes have hit 50+ then I can make the graphs up. This is a combined poll and chat thread. 

Thanks.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

For me hot days are fine for doing nothing but once I do outdoor activities/work it becomes difficult, therefore I choose warm for day-time this covers very warm so around 25C top temp. At night I like it to cool which would prevent to much heat indoors building up, even if I had air-conditioning I'd still pick cool nights, a natural cooling fresh breeze is nice. I enjoy the sunshine. I'm not a fan of high humid feel but I would not mind higher temperatures/humidity if they were to bring storms. In general it's warm/very warm day-time for me. Most weather types I would accept for summer time, I choose all the options! some might only choose one or two. I like all thunderstorms but it's really one's that come at dusk or first light and night that I prefer.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

As in all the other seasons I like both cool nights and cool days.  As long the air is cool and fresh I enjoy both dry and sunny days, or sunny and showery/thundery days.  I  also like both cool and breezy days and cool and calm days.  I also like both cool drizzly weather and normal cool rain.  As long as the rain is not too heavy I also like thunderstorms and hail.  I dislike heat and humidity and monsoonal-like downpours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I think Lerwick in Shetland would be my ideal location, lots of snow, guaranteed off any wind direction from a northerly point, would be easier to sleep, from Jun to Sep,

not sure what the jun-sep period is called because Lerwick do not get summers, the equivalent of our 0ct-Nov,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I think Lerwick in Shetland would be my ideal location, lots of snow, guaranteed off any wind direction from a northerly point, would be easier to sleep, from Jun to Sep,

not sure what the jun-sep period is called because Lerwick do not get summers, the equivalent of our 0ct-Nov,

Shetland has an oceanic climate, with long but mild winters and short, cool summers. The climate all year round is moderate due to the influence of the surrounding seas, with average peak temperatures of 5 °C (41 Â°F) in March and 14 °C (57 Â°F) in July and August.[27] Temperatures over 21 °C (70 Â°F) are rare. The highest temperature on record was 23.4 °C (74.1 Â°F) in July 1991 and the coldest âˆ’8.9 °C (16.0 Â°F) in the Januarys of 1952 and 1959.[28] The frost-free period may be as little as 3 months.[29]

The general character of the climate is windy and cloudy with at least 2 mm (0.079 in) of rain falling on more than 250 days a year. Average yearly precipitation is 1,003 mm (39.5 in), with November and December the wettest months. Snowfall is usually confined to the period November to February, and snow seldom lies on the ground for more than a day. Less rain falls from April to August although no month receives less than 50 mm (2.0 in). Fog is common during summer due to the cooling effect of the sea on mild southerly airflows.[27][28]

Due to the islands' latitude, on clear winter nights the "northern lights" can sometimes be seen in the sky, while in summer there is almost perpetual daylight, a state of affairs known locally as the "simmer dim".[30] Annual bright sunshine averages 1090 hours and overcast days are common.[27]

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Hotter the better to enjoy the extremes but admittedly I'd like some days that fall into normal 'warm' category (22-25c) rather than 30c+ for 3 months. 

So how 'bout this for a split with daytime maxes:

0% < 20c (cool)

20% 20c-22c (average)

40% 22c-25c (warm)

20% 25c-28c (very warm)

20% 28c-35c (hot to very hot)

Generally dry with ample sunshine everyday but with occasional t-storms in evenings (perhaps every 10 days but not Friday or Saturday nights!). I'm fine with some humidity. At lower temps humidity needs to be higher to compensate. 

Nights:

0% < 13c (cool)

20% 13c-15c (average)

50% 15c-17c (warm)

30% 17c+ (very warm)

Absolutely *none* of this:

- Low cloud

- Drizzle

- Cold NEly winds

- Atlantic fronts

- Gales

- Unseasonably chilly nights that damage plants.

Posted
My preference: warm, sunny westerly type weather with scattered cumulus cloud; cool at night with occasional heavy convective downpours Posted Image 

Worst possible weather: Fog, drizzle, low cloud, murk, SE wind, low temperature range i.e. this week Posted Image 

Lerwick would be one of the closest matches to my idea of climatic hell, possible only the Faeroes would be worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Try Elephant Island for real climatic hell! (look it up...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Try Elephant Island for real climatic hell! (look it up...)

At least they get a fair amount of snow and is sunnier than Faroe Islands, I can't think of a climate any more horrible than the Faroe islands, I suppose really cold places like Vostok may be worse.

Edited by 95 Degrees

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Lerwick must be one of the worst climates in the world.. I wouldn't move there if someone gave me £10million to do it. 1000 hours of sun a year (Even I find 1700 too low) and temperatures never going above 20C would be hell for me.. like constant November (which is probably my most hated month weatherwise).

I can't imagine why anyone would like such a climate.. but each to their own I guess!

I prefer sunny, warm-hot days with warm nights so that evening activities can be pursued in shorts and a T-shirt. Therefore I would like the percentage of days to be distributed like this in my ideal summer:

Max temperature:

0% <21C (Cool)

25% 21-24C (average)

50% 24-28C (warm/very warm)

25% 28C + (hot)

Evenings:

0% <13C (Cool)

20% 13-16C (average)

60% 16-19C (warm) <--------- Best temperature for evening activities

20% 19C + (very warm) 

The biggest priority is sun. I would take 23C and sunny over 28C and cloudy. In fact that is probably the one thing I would change about our climate. I would prefer to have about 2,500 hours of sun each year distributed like the Mediterranean e.g at least 100 hours in the winter months instead of 50 and above 300 hours in the summer months 

Posted

Lerwick must be one of the worst climates in the world.. I wouldn't move there if someone gave me £10million to do it.

I bet you would! Hell,for 10mil I'd live in the middle of the Sahara and with the cash I'd buy me an air-conditioned mansion and a straight road out to civilisation. I'd go to Lerwick for nowt.... paradise found.

Posted

I bet you would! Hell,for 10mil I'd live in the middle of the Sahara and with the cash I'd buy me an air-conditioned mansion and a straight road out to civilisation. I'd go to Lerwick for nowt.... paradise found.

If I had to stay there then I just don't think I could handle it! If it was for a couple of years I might just about be able to survive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

What about those of us who like all weather types?

I like it warm in the summer, and cold in the winter.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, stormy summers and snowy winters please.

I don't mind the heat as long as there is a breeze and is not too humid.  Definatly cool nights for sleeping though.

My ideal day would be hot and sunny (25-30c) with a moderate breeze so it is comfortable to sit out, until about 6/7pm when the storm clouds build and, then, about 10pm there would be a storm/storms until 3am with rain, clearing by 6am to start another of my ideal days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Lerwick must be one of the worst climates in the world.. I wouldn't move there if someone gave me £10million to do it. 1000 hours of sun a year (Even I find 1700 too low) and temperatures never going above 20C would be hell for me.. like constant November (which is probably my most hated month weatherwise).

I can't imagine why anyone would like such a climate.. but each to their own I guess!

I prefer sunny, warm-hot days with warm nights so that evening activities can be pursued in shorts and a T-shirt. Therefore I would like the percentage of days to be distributed like this in my ideal summer:

Max temperature:

0% <21C (Cool)

25% 21-24C (average)

50% 24-28C (warm/very warm)

25% 28C + (hot)

Evenings:

0% <13C (Cool)

20% 13-16C (average)

60% 16-19C (warm) <--------- Best temperature for evening activities

20% 19C + (very warm) 

The biggest priority is sun. I would take 23C and sunny over 28C and cloudy. In fact that is probably the one thing I would change about our climate. I would prefer to have about 2,500 hours of sun each year distributed like the Mediterranean e.g at least 100 hours in the winter months instead of 50 and above 300 hours in the summer months 

lerwick is probably one of the best places to live with beautiful,long sunny,CALM, warm summer days ............................FOR 1 WEEK A YEAR.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I like the middle ground for weather , warm, calm/settled, only extremes for want of a better word is to see the odd thunderstorm and short bursts of snow.

Nothing drawn out and lasting weeks if it is extreme.

And strong winds are my pet hate, they just break/destroy stuff and cost me money to replace/fix.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

lerwick is probably one of the best places to live with beautiful,long sunny,CALM, warm summer days ............................FOR 1 WEEK A YEAR.....!!!!!!!!!!!

1 week? Please, in recent years even we have struggled to get 1 week of warm, sunny weather - for Lerwick, try 10 minutes between rain showers.

For me, climates like Helsinki, Tallinn, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Riga are very good - warm summers, cold winters, and plenty of snow - although in these climates, the snow tends to build up over winter via small falls, rather than really large falls. I've already experience a 'proper' winter with constant snow on the ground, and it was fine by me. Beats our lame winters.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Hard to say where the best place for my weather is. Probably northern Scandinavia I think with cold, dry, snowy winters but foolish summers. I thought of eastern Scotland but its just too dull in summer.

In conclusion somewhere dry, sunny and cool in summer (sub 25C) but almighty in winter. Western Scandinavia probably gets cool, stormy Autumns as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Good to see cool nights doing so well Posted Image

me too, not sure about others but I have this strange urge to "sleep comfortably" at night.

Posted

I find that it only gets uncomfortable to sleep above 18C, but even then i'm used to it with recent weeks and I can sleep absolutely fine at 18/19C now. Last night felt quite fresh at 18C compared to Monday night when we had a low of 21C

Britain has a good climate for people who like lots of variability (I would say the southern half though, as Scotland and most of Ireland just have non existent summers. When people say that Britain has the best climate in the world I can't help but think they are just saying that because they live here.. I don't mind the climate here bar a few things, but there are many places I would rather live for the climate than here:

Nice/Marseille - warm summers, 2500 hours of sunshine annually with mild winters. No oppressive heat with 30C+ temps quite rare in summer.  

Melbourne - Wild temperature changes in summer - Can be 40C one day and then 20C the next. 

Sydney - Pleasant winters and warm summers, also higher UV all year round which means I won't be looking like a lump of mozzarella in January

I wouldn't like to live anywhere like Scandinavia or Russia where the summers are actually just as dodgy as they are here, but with longer winters and colder transitional seasons. I am not a massive winter fan and although I like snow, months on end of the stuff would get annoying. 

Likewise I wouldn't want to live anywhere with a desert or tropical climate. Places like Cairo, Dubai, etc.

A perfect climate for me would probably be one similar to the Canary Islands. Low latitude, warm and pleasant winters with warm summers without ever getting too hot