Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stevenson Screen self build

I am going to start my build this week and am looking for as much advice and pic's of members screens to help with my build the plan so far is that the dimensions will be around 30" high x 25" wide

25" depth I have a solar panel and fan if needed My masons hygrometer came in the post today

not sure of what else to put in at the mo would like to keep it non digital.

Pic's and advice please

• 2 weeks later...

I have just added some pic's of my screen now it has been completed would like some

help finding some more traditional instruments to go in it, Any help would be appreciated.

That's a nice set up, good DIY skills! Don't have any tips on instruments, been thinking of doing something similar myself.

Thanks it turned out well made mine is made up from 8 pieces of louver door I got given 3 doors so they were cut out

from there, next was a ply base around the bottom of that I screwed 2 x 2  3 of the  louver panels were then screwed to

the base and then the roof went on, after that the whole box was spray painted white outside black inside and then the

legs were cut and and bolted on then yet more coats of exterior paint  build cost me around £30 just to give you an idea  

the 3 louver doors I was given.

Geoff

post-20615-0-08398300-1376086582_thumb.j

Edited by Storm1968
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi just an update on my screen I have now turned the screen so the door is no longer facing south, the other thing  

I have changed is I have added another roof about 2-3" above the existing one as It was mentioned on another forum

that the readings may be compromised by the sun hitting the main roof or snow sitting on it for that matter anyway here  

is a pic of the SS now

Geoff

post-20615-0-73719200-1377792316_thumb.j

post-20615-0-86670300-1377792341_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Excellent you could go into business!

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting to see how the screen temps compare with those of your Davis.

Edited by TonyH

Hi Tony,  I am still keeping an eye out still for spikes in the readings,  I have to say since Steve mentioned about the roof of the screen and I changed the design there has not been much difference, I'm not sure if you have seen the earlier pic's of the screen but it was just a single sheet roof. 

Geoff

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

So a friend and my self decided that buying a stevensons screen was rather pricey, so we decided to build our own. Here is an update to how we are getting on. All of the parts we needed have now.

http://www.westonweather.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18

We have set up our own website westonweather.co.uk. It displays live weather every 5 minutes from our station in Weston super mare.

Please feel free to take a look and comment .

Luke

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

And so the Stevensons Screen journey comes to an end this morning, as everything is now completed, and its standing proud on its perch in the garden. Like i have said before, anyone can buy a screen, but you get an enormous amount of satisfaction knowing that you (i) built that. Every morning now when i look out side and see it, i think to myself . .. i made that! For the grand total of about £60, I have managed to build this with very little effort. It looks the part, and so far does its job well. Here is the latest, and final installment of the DIY Stevensons Screen journey. Thanks for following, please feel free to comment.

And so the Stevensons Screen journey comes to an end this morning, as everything is now completed, and its standing proud on its perch in the garden. Like i have said before, anyone can buy a screen, but you get an enormous amount of satisfaction knowing that you (i) built that. Every morning now when i look out side and see it, i think to myself . .. i made that! For the grand total of about £60, I have managed to build this with very little effort. It looks the part, and so far does its job well. Here is the latest, and final installment of the DIY Stevensons Screen journey. Thanks for following, please feel free to comment.

That looks really nice, good job, a lot more rewarding doing it yourself indeed. Bet it would cost a lot more if you bought it, they cost a fortune don't they?

On the last picture there looks to be quite a bit of stuff around it, I imagine the readings will be more accurate the less objects near the station. Sun, heat reflecting off surfaces, rain being blocked etc.

Edited by Bobby