Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Which is More Snowier England Or Wales?

Posted

Hello am new to the Forum international Student Currently In Britain.

Recently me And my friend(Lives in Wales) started A conversation about Snowy places in Britain.I was of the view that England is more snowy than Wales because Some parts of it are far away from the Sea While Most of Wales is near the Sea.

He Countered by saying Snowdonia is the snowiest Place out of the Two,While I thought North-England (Pennines/Lake district) is more snowy.Given that the hottest temperature in Britain was recorded in England but -26 is more colder than Wales all time low of -23.Both Countries Seem to have the same Average Temperatures.

We placed A bet And we decided we Would let the Forum DecidePosted Image .

Though we both Agreed That Scotland is more colder than Both England And Wales.I am Visiting the highlands In a Few weeks I would like To know the Contrast between the weather of highlands and England/Wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

When averaged over the entire country, Wales might be snowier. because the majority of the country is hilly terrain, but the north of England is certainly snowier, and the urban areas of England are undeniably snowier than the urban areas of Wales, since the urban areas of Wales are coastal and southern.

Posted Image

Edited by cheese

Posted

All four countries of the UK have fairly wide variety of snowiness making it impossible to generalise. You can't, for example, say Scotland is less snowy than England because Glasgow is less snowy than Bradford. Wales and England both have snowy and almost snowless areas.

It mainly depends how high up you are and the distance from the sea, the latter especially for Wales. Most of inland Wales is mountainous so we get a decent amount of snow. Over the past 10 years IMBY we've done pretty well I think with many significant snow events while often places a few miles away, lower down and closer to the sea have had little to nothing. Most of the areas that do well with snow are fairly sparsely populated though.

Edited by Bobby

Posted

Given that Wales is more exposed to moist airmasses from the Atlantic I would imagine that the highest upland areas above the snow line get more of the white stuff than in England, despite the lowland areas being milder and less prone to snow than in England.

Edited by AderynCoch

One other advantage is that parts of Wales can get some snow on a bog standard North Westerly wind, something not the case for much of England. For this reason South Wales does better for snow than many areas of Southern England, even populated areas this tends to hold true for.

Urban areas of South Wales also tend to be hillier than many parts of Southern England another thing in our favour.

So in terms of Snow. Northern England>Wales>Southern England