Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Butterflies: Why are there so many?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, everyone is saying that the butterfly-count this year is the best in a long time...Does anyone know why this should be so?

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the seasons have occurred in the right order...Posted Image 

Posted

To pester the living daylights out of my trees!

Cabbage whites seem to be easing in numbers now thank god

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

not complaining, nice to see them back.

Think it is the good summer this year after last years dire show.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

As I was saying on the South West and Central Southern regional thread...

.....the hot and dry weather is brilliant for insects and has given numbers a real boost, butterflies, bats and bumblebees are all benefiting from the weather and many birds have been laying a second breed of eggs as they take advantage of the warm weather. However, less desirable insects such as biting midges are also on the rise but our wildlife really needed this summer because rain over the last couple of years has been a big problem for them.

I've had a garden full of butterflies on my Buddleia bushes and really enjoyed seeing some very colourful ones on my weekend away in Norfolk...

post-10773-0-61295600-1375720990_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

A few white cabbage butterflies about..

Seen some lovely peacock ones about when in nature reserves.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well, everyone is saying that the butterfly-count this year is the best in a long time...Does anyone know why this should be so?

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the seasons have occurred in the right order...Posted Image 

Posted Image Yes, precisely that I would say. Posted Image Summer has been largely, shall we say, summery on the whole, which as a result tends to benefit a lot of our wildlife, especially the warmth and dry loving insects.

Also, there is increasing evidence of more wildlife-friendly practice taking place across our towns and villages, motorway and dual-carriageway verges (yes, really) and more appropriately across vast swathes of agricultural land. See below for my post regarding this from the other thread.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77201-where-are-all-the-butterflies/?p=2730378

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

When on the train yesterday, there was a large lavender bush at Cantley train station. There must have been hundreds flying around there, looked like heavy snow Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Another thought, as numbers continue to increase, is that perhaps the reduction in parasitic wasp species has something to do with it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well we didnt have a spring, so im not so sure about the seasons being in the right order...i reckon it just that we had a hot sunny dry spell that coincided with the emergance of peacocks.

theres still very few tortoishells, speckled wood have taken a knock as has holly blue. white things dont count! lol but it does appear to be the whites and peacocks that are doing well... ringlet too, gatekeepers are quite common this year. but not the other species.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes my garden is full of them - had cabbage whites, large cabbage whites and them colourful ones too.

The brassicas are standing no chance - I've tried to keep one or two plants clear of eggs but they lay them so fast I can't keep up! 

Still good to see after last years terrible year for most insects/wildlife (well bar slugs anyway).

Posted

Yes my garden is full of them - had cabbage whites, large cabbage whites and them colourful ones too.

The brassicas are standing no chance - I've tried to keep one or two plants clear of eggs but they lay them so fast I can't keep up! 

Still good to see after last years terrible year for most insects/wildlife (well bar slugs anyway).

Grow nasturtiums, Botty...Posted Image

Posted

Butterflies need a core temperature of 30'c in order to achieve flight, obviously the fine weather has helped things earlier on this month and the burst in pollen compared to last years rain-fest means they're practically having a party out there before the Autumn comes along.

Not a clue what the species are, but plenty of variety out there.

Posted

A fair few fluttering about here, peacocks, red admirals, tortoiseshells, commas, and quite a lot of white ones presumably cabbage whites. My dad saw a few other types and a hummingbird hawk moth.

Although actually I saw higher numbers last August here, they were mainly tortoiseshells, so perhaps less of other species, but there must have been 20+ at one time on either of our Buddleia's which aren't especially large ones. This was after seeing hardly any up to August though when they appeared quite quickly.

Posted

Huge number of peacocks and tortoiseshells here now, literally clouds of them stirred up when I cut down the thistles they were feeding on Posted Image 
It is rather funny how a favourite reason for butterflies having a poor year is 'changes in farming practice' but when they have a bumper year it's due to 'warm weather' !

• Like 1

Posted

Huge number of peacocks and tortoiseshells here now, literally clouds of them stirred up when I cut down the thistles they were feeding on Posted Image 

It is rather funny how a favourite reason for butterflies having a poor year is 'changes in farming practice' but when they have a bumper year it's due to 'warm weather' !

I think that, perhaps, it's all down to the seasons, 4??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I have noticed this as well, I hate them and moths even more, I hate all insects and cannot wait for an early Northerly to kill them all off.

Posted

I have noticed this as well, I hate them and moths even more, I hate all insects and cannot wait for an early Northerly to kill them all off.

Well, when there are no apples, pears, tomatoes, onions, broad beans, runner beans, strawberries or any other insect-pollinated food crops (or crops grown for cattle, sheep, pigs eat) to buy, perhaps you could suggest what we can eat instead!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Well, when there are no apples, pears, tomatoes, onions, broad beans, runner beans, strawberries or any other insect-pollinated food crops (or crops grown for cattle, sheep, pigs eat) to buy, perhaps you could suggest what we can eat instead!!!!

Big Macs and KFC, Im the opposite of a vegetarian, im a meatarian!

Posted

Sorry, but if there are no insects, the plants that your burger-producing cows and pigs that carnivores eat will die out.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
  • Like 1

Posted

Sorry, but if there are no insects, the plants that your burger-producing cows and pigs that carnivores eat will die out.

Cows live on Grass, grass will always be there, or it would take a long time to die out.

Posted

Not so long as all that, I imagine. What are they going to eat in winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Quite a few butterflies here too. The hot July has really helped them out it would seem. I think it's lovely to see them fluttering about, I even like moths! Don't see why people would dislike them myself.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

got a rareity flittering about..

a fritilary!

got to be confirmed as to which, but for derby suburbs this is a very rare occurance. i saw it in a customers garden today, its only 1/4 mile from mine, she (a wildlife lover and knowlegable) was telling me about it when it fluttered in and settled.

it was about the size and colour of a painted lady...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Big Butterfly Count ends Sunday .... So time to get result in...

Posted

Saw quite a few peacocks about yesterday, lovely to see them. A reasonable number of bumblebees too which is also nice to see.

I have to say why someone would hate butterflies like that and want a early northerly to kill them off is something I find hard to comprehend..