Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Butterflies: Why are there so many?

Posted

Seen my first painted lady on the 16th and often see one on one of our buddleia's now, usually just one so think it is possibly the same one, but on Monday both the bush's in our front and the back garden had one on.

Loads of small tortoiseshells here, our relatively small 1st year buddleia sometimes has at least 25-30 butterflies on at one time, with perhaps 90% being small tortoiseshells. Interesting difference to some other places. Last year we had loads appear in August too.

A few peacocks, less than a couple weeks ago, occasional comma still, the odd red admiral, a couple of wall's recently (first time seen in Garden this year though there were lots on the SE Cornwall coast last week), and saw another fritillary the other day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Seen my first painted lady on the 16th and often see one on one of our buddleia's now, usually just one so think it is possibly the same one, but on Monday both the bush's in our front and the back garden had one on.

Loads of small tortoiseshells here, our relatively small 1st year buddleia sometimes has at least 25-30 butterflies on at one time, with perhaps 90% being small tortoiseshells. Interesting difference to some other places. Last year we had loads appear in August too.

A few peacocks, less than a couple weeks ago, occasional comma still, the odd red admiral, a couple of wall's recently (first time seen in Garden this year though there were lots on the SE Cornwall coast last week), and saw another fritillary the other day.

not seen a wall brown for many years now... they used to be common, i even had them in my garden on occassions..

Posted

odd.... 23c here in bright/sunny weather.... peacock count = 0 !!! i know their season is about over, i said as much earlier... but i thought there should be at least a few...

mind you, theres not much of anything else either.... how odd...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

I've seen plenty of moths amongst the butterflies - bumblebees on my buddleias this last week, always thought they were nocturnal feeders? nice to see them all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I spotted two clouded yellow butterflies today at Lackford lakes, couldnt get any photos though, only seen this type once before..

Also one painted lady (butterfly) last week..

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I spotted two clouded yellow butterflies today at Lackford lakes, couldnt get any photos though, only seen this type once before..Also one painted lady (butterfly) last week..

Hope they can blow over here, as I've never seen one...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I have three large buddleia bushes and today counted 24 Peacock butterflies there !

Probably as many Cabbage Whites too.

Other varieties are very scarce so far this year.

Just 2 Tortoishells and one fine Red Admiral and one Painted Lady.

No Commas at all.

I've been seeing some 'day moths' too, but I know nothing of their types.

B.  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Day flying moths are quite likely to be Silver-Ys' I reckon. They tend to hover over the likes of Buddliea etc, flicking their wings "ten to the dozen". Like birds, they have a distinctive jizz (behavioural characteristics) these moths and butterflies.

Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

A butterfly that hasn't been seen in Milton Keynes or Buckinghamshire for at least a decade has put in an appearance this summer....

post-10773-0-14787100-1377267729_thumb.j

http://www.theparkstrust.com/about-us/media-centre/post/305-return-of-the-wall-butterfly

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Oh well, peacock numbers are increasing again; and there's been a small blue around. What is it about blue butterflies?

Posted

nowt here today, bar a couple of whites and the odd peacock n tortoishell.

its 24c humid and overcast.

Posted

"...I was worried it might be dangerous.†Posted Image What did she think it was going to do? Attack her!

Posted

saw another clouded-yellow in town yesterday , it was flying very fast, must be why they are able to migrate so far! .

Anyone got a photo of them yet?.

Posted

saw another clouded-yellow in town yesterday , it was flying very fast, must be why they are able to migrate so far!. Ive seen them before about fifteen yrs ago, got a photo of one with film,but didnt have any decent lenses back then.

Anyone got a photo of them yet?.

• Like 1

Posted

Had to evict six tortoiseshell butterflies from my garage this afternoon. I assume they had pupated in the garage and "hatched" today as there is no other way I can think of that they could have got in.

Posted

Had to evict six tortoiseshell butterflies from my garage this afternoon. I assume they had pupated in the garage and "hatched" today as there is no other way I can think of that they could have got in.

they do get into garages, houses etc to hibernate for winter.. but arent fluttering around, if they were at rest, they were wanting to overwinter.

Posted

after a warm, sunny monday with temps c 23c... im disappointed that the buddleias were all but empty yesterday... still in full bloom (late by c3-4 weeks), apart from the odd tortoishell, admiral and peacock.

Posted

not seen a wall brown for many years now... they used to be common, i even had them in my garden on occassions..

I have heard they have become quite scarce in many inland areas with it primarily confined to coastal regions sadly

Just went outside and was over 50 small Tortoiseshells on our relatively small buddleia Posted Image

post-7593-0-02277600-1377604840_thumb.jp

post-7593-0-15243200-1377605150_thumb.jp

Not sure how much the pictures do it justice with some not showing up so well and having their wings closed, but there were definitely over 50.

At the same time there were about 30 on our buddleia in the front garden

In fact when resizing these images I went outside and there seemed to be more, tried counting and got about 70!

So if anyone is short of small tortoiseshells they're all down here.. lol

The odd peacock, painted lady and red admiral amongst them this morning too.

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

they do get into garages, houses etc to hibernate for winter.. but arent fluttering around, if they were at rest, they were wanting to overwinter.

Indeed mushy, and a plea to all. If people can leave them be, especially as we approach the winter season, the next generation may become as plentiful next Summer as they were during this one.

• Like 4

Posted

I have heard they have become quite scarce in many inland areas with it primarily confined to coastal regions sadly

Just went outside and was over 50 small Tortoiseshells on our relatively small buddleia Posted Image

Posted Imagebutterflies 1.jpg

Posted Imagebutterflies 3.jpg

Not sure how much the pictures do it justice with some not showing up so well and having their wings closed, but there were definitely over 50.

At the same time there were about 30 on our buddleia in the front garden

In fact when resizing these images I went outside and there seemed to be more, tried counting and got about 70!

So if anyone is short of small tortoiseshells they're all down here.. lol

The odd peacock, painted lady and red admiral amongst them this morning too.

That is stunning, just like the numbers back in the 80s and 90s. However, I do suspect that some of these individuals may involve migrant Small Tortoiseshells (assuming that species does indeed migrate). Given the numbers of Clouded Yellows turning up in places as well, it is certainly likely. I learnt from Springwatch 2013 that even Large Whites were known to migrate up from Southern Europe, amazing creatures.

• Like 1

Posted

Hugely increased number of Whites around here this year, probably 4 or 5 x normal levels, but conversely there seems to be a real derth of other butterflies. It's almost as if they predate on other species.

Edited by shedhead

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

about 30 Peacocks on my small Buddliea at the moment and lots of large ginger and black bumblebees ! The Peacocks are in 2 different sizes .. the smaller ones not much bigger than the one Tortoiseshell and the few large ones are the size of the solitary Red Admiral . I first saw Peacocks in N. Ireland in 1982 ad have never seen as many at once as today ! Nor have I noticed the size variability .

Posted

Found this beast of a caterpillar today, is it an Elephant Hawk Moth?

Posted Image120.jpg

Not an expert and without Googling it I can't be certain, but the eye like features suggest it is. It is most definitely a hawk moth caterpillar of sorts.

• Like 1