Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Butterflies: Why are there so many?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Found this beast of a caterpillar today, is it an Elephant Hawk Moth?

Posted Image120.jpg

indeed, a large elephant hawk moth caterpillar..

• Like 1

Posted

That is stunning, just like the numbers back in the 80s and 90s. However, I do suspect that some of these individuals may involve migrant Small Tortoiseshells (assuming that species does indeed migrate). Given the numbers of Clouded Yellows turning up in places as well, it is certainly likely. I learnt from Springwatch 2013 that even Large Whites were known to migrate up from Southern Europe, amazing creatures.

You may be right I'm not sure if they migrate either though haven't read that they do. Though I have noticed that certain websites such as this link: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=urticae says 'Unfortunately, this butterfly has suffered a worrying decline, especially in the south, over the last few years.' and this site http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/posts/Small-tortoiseshell-butterflies says they've declined by 77% over the last 10 years.

Well I can gladly say that not here they haven't, last year there was lots in August too, far more than any other type, although less than this year as you'd expect.

Great to see them as you say, Haven't seen any clouded yellows though was hoping to see one this year.

They're already out today:

post-7593-0-28727500-1377680400_thumb.jp

and a popular flower yesterday:

post-7593-0-42250500-1377679404_thumb.jp

This bush was accidentally grown too when my dad stuck a cutting from a different bush in the ground to fix something in place at the back of the vegetable patch! It may have to stay now considering its popularity.

Edit: there seem to be slightly more now than in the pictures like there was at times yesterday, though as it's warmer they keep their wings shut more so don't look so good in photos

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

had a painted lady in a customers garden... bugger all here today though, dispite loads of buddleia in full flower..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Loads of whites on Hebe and English Lavender...

Posted

Just had a first sighting:

post-7593-0-82980900-1377698849_thumb.jp

A brimstone on the otherwise mainly tortoiseshell covered bush. can't actually remember seeing one before.

Also 2 painted ladies on that bush (and a peacock and just seen a meadow brown and a wall)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just had a first sighting:

Posted Imagebrimstone 2.jpg

A brimstone on the otherwise mainly tortoiseshell covered bush. can't actually remember seeing one before.

Also 2 painted ladies on that bush (and a peacock and just seen a meadow brown and a wall)

Posted Image Now you're just showing off. Joking aside, what a butterfly magnet they are. Every garden should have one and I concur with ARTDEMOLE, Lavender is certainly an attractant as well.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Posted Image Now you're just showing off. Joking aside, what a butterfly magnet they are. Every garden should have one and I concur with ARTDEMOLE, Lavender is certainly an attractant as well.

They certainly are why they are often referred to as "the butterfly plant"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It's marvellous, mate...I can sit on the grass, with my wee grandson & granddaughter, and just watch the butterflies. I wonder what my chances of seeing a swallowtail are? I've never seen a live one in my life!

Having looked up what most of the butterflies in this thread look like, (bar the obvious ones like the peacock, cabbage white etc etc) I've realised I've seen most of them. Used to regularly go down to my nan and grandad's rural house on the Cheshire/Shropshire border....they have a large garden/stable area etc and many flowering plants such as buddleia which would attract a myriad of butterfly species. My grandad used to tell me all about the various birds and butterflies he had in his garden when I was younger Posted Image He always sounded really proud about it too!

He used to be especially glowing about the bird species he got there.....I saw thrushes, wagtails (of multiple varieties), tits, finches- you name it! Being on the canal bridge, we used to see Kingfishers too. (Sorry, taken the thread off topic!) :p

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

They certainly are why they are often referred to as "the butterfly plant"

Indeed.

Posted

Having looked up what most of the butterflies in this thread look like, (bar the obvious ones like the peacock, cabbage white etc etc) I've realised I've seen most of them. Used to regularly go down to my nan and grandad's rural house on the Cheshire/Shropshire border....they have a large garden/stable area etc and many flowering plants such as buddleia which would attract a myriad of butterfly species. My grandad used to tell me all about the various birds and butterflies he had in his garden when I was younger Posted Image He always sounded really proud about it too!

He used to be especially glowing about the bird species he got there.....I saw thrushes, wagtails (of multiple varieties), tits, finches- you name it! Being on the canal bridge, we used to see Kingfishers too. (Sorry, taken the thread off topic!) Posted Image

Not too far off track, really. All interconnected as in nature itself, if we look after the things at the bottom of the food chain (well at least study them more) the predators higher up the food chain should get to live in unison.

CC, at least you didn't mention the reliability of the CFS in this thread. Posted Image

Posted

CC, at least you didn't mention the reliability of the CFS in this thread. Posted Image

No, I'll leave that to the model thread lol

Posted

I wouldn't know Posted Image

They honestly do. Posted Image Its best you go careful when searching the internet for that particular description, however. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

To avoid risking anyone's innocence (!), jizz is the distinctive look, behaviour, and "just is" that allows you to tell one species from another - or, to put it another way - the same thing as happens when you spot someone 200 yards away and know it's your best mate just because of their haircut, size, shape, the way they hold their shoulders, walk, etc.

Posted

To avoid risking anyone's innocence (!), jizz is the distinctive look, behaviour, and "just is" that allows you to tell one species from another - or, to put it another way - the same thing as happens when you spot someone 200 yards away and know it's your best mate just because of their haircut, size, shape, the way they hold their shoulders, walk, etc.

Glad you cleared that one up :p

Posted

Haha, not trying to just thought I aught to report all types I saw for any interest

I have a couple painted lady (butterfly..) photos I can add but thought I'd posted enough already lol. 

Indeed definitely a butterfly magnet, not sure we'd have many at all without the buddleias as they are pretty much all on them usually.

Nothing new in recent days, though tortoiseshell numbers seem a bit lower especially yesterday, though was a bit breezier and cooler. Hopefully they didn't mind last night 4.4c min too much..

Edited by Stormmad26

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

A good late few days for butterflies this weekend! Around 10-15 Small Tortoishells on the buddleia at any one time. A couple of Peacocks, a Red Admiral, a Comma, a couple of Small Whites, a Speckled Wood and a rather late Large White too!