Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 13th August 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Evening folks.

Been a fairly nondescript type day here (weatherwise) too. So nowt to report on that score really!

Nice clearance in the north and north-west sky at the moment. Hope it moves in and stays this evening, as we have two more ISS passes tonight, and another display of the Perseids. Not sure my still sore neck will allow me to look up for almost an hour again tonight though!

Yep, I remember it well. It was at 11am on 11th August 1999. I was working in the Docklands at the time, and it had been cloudy all morning. Then, just before 11, a break in the clouds moved in.....as we were heading outside. And the clearance stayed for the duration of the eclipse. Amazingly!

Evening all

I remember that eclipse, I booked the day off work, and was at my folks place as I knew my father had a welders mask, used that to view the event, strange day, the sun went quiet, so did the birds, the temp fell and the world seemed to fall into an odd silence at the time.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm going a wee bit further south than that AS...more like a week of cocktails Posted Image

Not......surely not...... Cromer?!!

Seriously, enjoy your break Ali. I am still in Greek time and Greek attitude. Off to north Pembrokeshire again in 11 days, so not all bad!

AS

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Evening all

I remember that eclipse, I booked the day off work, and was at my folks place as I knew my father had a welders mask, used that to view the event, strange day, the sun went quiet, so did the birds, the temp fell and the world seemed to fall into an odd silence at the time.

I remember the fall in the temperature very well. That, and the change in the light. Can't remember what I used to view it. But I've a feeling I wore sunglasses, and held some negatives over the lenses!! Posted Image

Posted

I remember the fall in the temperature very well. That, and the change in the light. Can't remember what I used to view it. But I've a feeling I wore sunglasses, and held some negatives over the lenses!! Posted Image

Do you use a white stick yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Not......surely not...... Cromer?!!

Seriously, enjoy your break Ali. I am still in Greek time and Greek attitude. Off to north Pembrokeshire again in 11 days, so not all bad!

AS

Cant be a bad thing - Av-rio Posted Image

Have a good time in Pembrokeshire Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Do you use a white stick yet?

Not yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time though!

(And all because I wouldn't spend 2 quid on a pair of eclipse sunglasses!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Does anyone get that feeling where all of a sudden it feels like a different season and then you get excited? I just had a feeling it was autumn (my favourite season) and got a bit excited hahaHave a good holiday MK.

Edited by Mesoscale
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Have a good holiday Ali, still on the noth norfolk coast, will I see anything tonight

Depends if you have a decent pair of binoculars...

post-10773-0-04379000-1376427171_thumb.j

Posted Image

Posted

hi all

early fax charts

Posted Image

tomorrow

a breezy west to south west flow

should stay dry and sunny for most of the day

late afternoon some light showers moving in from the west

temps around 22 degrees

after some overnight rain

Posted Image

thursday

quite a strong south west wind

could start feeling a tad humid

temps around 23-24 degrees

looks mainly dry but some showers incoming late afternoon for mainly north of the river

the south may stay totally dry

Posted Image

friday

a west to to north west flow

temps around 24 degrees

looks like dry very early then some very heavy rain with thundery potential moving in for am rush hour

could stay wet until mid afternoon-early evening

will update the rest later Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Evening all  I remember that eclipse, I booked the day off work, and was at my folks place as I knew my father had a welders mask, used that to view the event, strange day, the sun went quiet, so did the birds, the temp fell and the world seemed to fall into an odd silence at the time.

I too booked the day off work to experience the eclipse.. think it was predicted 97% darkness at its height. I remember watching the eclipse live on BBC1 and running to the garden at regular intervals and sticking on a pair of special glasses to stare at the sun!At the peek of the eclipse, I remember it turning very chilly and the birds stopped tweeting. I also remember feeling very disapointed it didnt go as dark as I expected for some reason?!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Right it's pitch black outside, and the skies are clear. I'm off out to see some meteors hopefully. If I see any and can get a good photo, I will share it with you all.... Goodnight peeps.

• Like 1

Posted

looks like dry very early then some very heavy rain with thundery potential moving in for am rush hour

could stay wet until mid afternoon-early evening

Funnily enough, in the last few minutes my Accuweather add-on has changed to "a couple of thunderstorms" for Friday. Literally just as I was reading what you'd written!

• Like 1

Posted

Right it's pitch black outside, and the skies are clear. I'm off out to see some meteors hopefully. If I see any and can get a good photo, I will share it with you all.... Goodnight peeps.

If you're still out at ten to midnight, the ISS is going to pass over again.

Saw it about a quarter of an hour ago, took a photo, but it's little more than a white smudge in a sea of black! 

Posted

heres the rest

Posted Image

saturday

at present it looks dry

a very strong south west wind

temps around 22-24

there is a chance of some blustery showers late pm but will firm up on this tomorrow

Posted Image

sunday

a strong north west wind

looks dry and sunny

temps around 25 but could feel a tad chilly in the wind

Posted Image

ukmo fax chart

shows high pressure incoming

a weak westerly flow

and should be dry

Posted Image

also

Posted Image

gfs main run has a little support from the 20th

watch the 12z run tomorrow to see if the rise on the 21st is still there

it was the 20th yesterday

looking at the ecm ensembles

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks likely to be wetter from the 18th

temperatures look to be staying in the low to mid 20s which is fine

the ecm ensembles are based on the 00z

as for heatwaves i do not see it however i see pleasant but sometimes wetter conditions

certainly not cold

as always i expect these will look totally different at 12 oclock

• Like 1

Posted

nao charts

Posted Image

Posted Image

towards the end of the month these show going more positive

could see temps go slightly higher at end of month (subject to these being correct)

would give us a chance of some more storm chances

long way yet but worth keeping an eye on Posted Image

also sea temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

warmer but still a tad down around us

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

If you're still out at ten to midnight, the ISS is going to pass over again.Saw it about a quarter of an hour ago, took a photo, but it's little more than a white smudge in a sea of black!

Hi mate. Just got back home. Saw 3 meteors, so well happy. Not sure if you have any apple devises but I downloaded an app called night sky. Only 69p, but it maps out the sky for you and names all the stars etc when you point your device at it. Whispy cloud here now, so I'm gonna call it a night. Cheers for the heads up though 👠good night all.... Edited by LeighD
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Saw one about 5 mins ago, now there's a big one with blades spinning......

Oh no its the police helicopter ha ha!

That's I'm off to bed getting achy eyeballs, night all. ;-)

• Like 4

Posted

im off as well

12z ecm ensembles

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

temps low to mid 20 s

precipitation shows as lower than the 00z

so nice and pleasant Posted Image

goodnight all Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Evening all

That was amazing - I took a day's holiday and went to my friend's house which had a lovely view across the valley. We borrowed her brother's welding mask to look at it. Just at the height of the eclipse we saw this huge buzzard flying quite low across the valley towards us.

My friend had made a special Eclipse Cake. Dark chocolate with a lovely pale blue frill of net around it. It looked just like the real thing.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning,

Gorgeous sunshine breaking through the early mist that's blanketing Sussex, looks like it could be a good one today.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning critters,

Bright and sunny here, 17.4oC in the shed, only ventured out as far as the wheely bin so far today but it looks like a great day is on the cards.  I was in the paddock my parents rent yesterday evening and decided I will go back today as they have loads of ripe fat blackberries ready for picking.

Posted

I was in the paddock my parents rent yesterday evening and decided I will go back today as they have loads of ripe fat blackberries ready for picking.

Mmmm, jammy 

• Like 1

Posted

Hi mate. Just got back home. Saw 3 meteors, so well happy. Not sure if you have any apple devises but I downloaded an app called night sky. Only 69p, but it maps out the sky for you and names all the stars etc when you point your device at it. Whispy cloud here now, so I'm gonna call it a night. Cheers for the heads up though good night all....

Glad you got to see a few meteors. I saw two last night. (Not as many as the night before, but they were both really bright. And I wasn't watching for as long either. So I'm happy with that.) Saw the second pass of the ISS too, but it wasn't a patch on the first one of the evening; dimmer, not overhead, and wasn't visible for as long.

I don't have an Apple phone, but I wouldn't be surprised if that app you mention has an Android version too. Will investigate, as the app I have is one for spotting satellites etc, rather than star-gazing - so it doesn't name the stars/constellations. (Computer-wise, I can highly recommend a programme called Stellarium. It's brilliant.....and free.)

As for today, a gloriously sunny morning so far. Just a few cumulus developing as I type. Current temp = 18.7°.

Have a good hump-day all. (Ooh err missus!) Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I don't have an Apple phone, but I wouldn't be surprised if that app you mention has an Android version too. 

Google Sky Map for free:

http://www.google.com/sky/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.stardroid