Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

What's that all about/the link? - the supposed 2012 winter? and not the warmest on record by far...huffington post say no more!

ok I admit that was not a very good post, just wanted to see how  people see the potential for the coming winter after a number of cold winters and some talk on the net about things getting colder.

I did not notice this thread I will have a good look  http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76204-are-we-about-to-enter-another-mini-ice-age/

Do readers of this believe everything is  still up for grabs this year  like the tropical time around the 11th December 1994 or is the weather/climate/sunspots situation too different to that for it to happen and a coldness typical of the  winter of 1947 would be a bit more likely, genuine question as I am not sure what to think.  

In answer to my other question after looking through the records http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-history;sess=  signs of winter can first start kicking off in October but later is the modern norm.

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

The N. Hempishere ice levels for this year have a very close correlation with the levels seen in 2008 and 2009, more especially 2009. Just one factor in what may come over winter but I suppose it's encouraging given what happened during those respective winters.

Shame we won't have Glacier Point's input this year Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I doubt the AO played that big a part on our summer synoptics as it was only weakly positve

and negative. The NAO was positve through the first half of summer and negative through

the latter part of summer so little to be said there. More to do with la Nina type atmospheric

state I think.

As for the Arctic one of the players that could be attributed to the colder than normal summer

was the persistent warmer than normal 30mb temperatures in the stratosphere and the colder  

than normal tropersphere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

post-12276-0-96976900-1377380480_thumb.g

Big ice contraction over the last two days, especially towards the Alaskan side.

Meltback of snow in Scandi mtns, but new snow in Siberia, Nunavut and the Himalayas.

Posted

Posted Imagersz_5219295bd6963.png

first sunset in Svalbard since April 18, vive l'hiver

and back again in couple of hours! massive changes over the coming week , I find it impressive. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=737 http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=2240

• Like 1

Posted

Some new snow showing and looking good in the Canada to Greenland area

Ice could be doing better! post-15601-0-36845900-1377562584_thumb.j post-15601-0-59052400-1377562593_thumb.p

Fav webcams from last year, save and enjoy the views later.

http://www.skjolden.com/sommarski/webkamera.htm

and the super cool http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/de/Wetter-Kleine%20Scheidegg/1026-Kleine%20Scheidegg-Wetter.php

Notice the difference from last year at this very early stage, total reverse 51 weeks ago post-15601-0-75733100-1377561056_thumb.p

Svalbard, iceland and even ben nevis were more into snow around this week last year , In my simple weather mind  I guess the North pole is not sharing the Love (cold) so quickly this time round. Saving the best for Christmas Posted Image

hope this makes sense,  this summer seems more normal  in the sense that it was warm in the middle, so if weather weirding is going out of fashion perhaps winter will be more normal this time round and not have cold super early or late. Just my 2 pennies worth for the other 3 early viewers!

post-15601-0-32257200-1377550519_thumb.p

post-15601-0-64454000-1377550519_thumb.g

• Like 2

Posted

Here's today's image, as you can, Canada has had it's first proper snow of the season in the far north :-)

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Earlier than usual start it appears, regarding snow growth.

Its still very early days, so it looks roughly about the same to me when comparing  recent years cover at this time.....apart from the Polar region Posted Image

post-15601-0-22880800-1377729493_thumb.gpost-15601-0-56382000-1377729493_thumb.gpost-15601-0-86483700-1377729493_thumb.gpost-15601-0-14905000-1377729494_thumb.g

Going back to 2007 it looks a bit different especially for Russia   post-15601-0-74337800-1377729974_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Can you put up a link to those cams please :)

Posted

Can you put up a link to those cams please Posted Image

LS has done so above- Iceland's higher hills are going to see a fair bit of sleet and snow overnight- will be a good look early tomorrow morning, before the melt on Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Posted Imagevatnsskard_2.jpg

Posted Imagevatnsskard_3.jpg

Posted Imagethverarfjall_3.jpg

Ahhh... Iceland. Vive le neige- summer's overrated!

C'est la neige ... It's petty, I know, but couldn't let it go...Posted Image

Edited by Vivian
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I take it you don't mind several months in the dark then?

I don't know about IF but I certainly would love complete darkness and cold all year round!!!

• Like 5

Posted

I take it you don't mind several months in the dark then?

Not at all! It's not complete darkness for much, and in the summer, the long days would be bliss! I'd prefer an Alpine chalet, or a Scandinavian log cabin mind... but this looks good enough for now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I don't know about IF but I certainly would love complete darkness and cold all year round!!!

It would be an experience to live there for a year, although I reckon I'd get bored after that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

why not jst camp out in your fidge with the door shut?
  • Like 1