Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 24/8/13 ------------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just has a heavy shower come through here, looks on radar like maybe another soon. The line is mostly east of here though. Looks a little like that essex streamer is now heading due south just hiting east kent now and then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Thunder?? What's that? A word not in my vocabulary. Hehe! Posted Image

Its definitely a task to get it. I notice everyone freaking out on facebook over the night storms we've had this year as if they'd seen none!! Just shows how out of vocabulary it really is !!Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Another visitor from another region!  Popped in to put some facts and details on to what I'd heard on the telly earlier.  Thanks for all the links people have put on, plus your very graphic descriptions.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Its definitely a task to get it. I notice everyone freaking out on facebook over the night storms we've had this year as if they'd seen none!! Just shows how out of vocabulary it really is !!Posted Image

After years in the desert, stormwise, I'm hoping the tide has finally turned!

Posted

After years in the desert, stormwise, I'm hoping the tide has finally turned!

Oh the things I'd do to get the 90's imports back! Hope this is the cusp of a similar era incoming. I'd sacrifice snow and cold for a mild winter if it means warmer SST's to start spring and summer off, which would likely help to support imported storms. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

That line is crazy we have pretty much had constant rain from about 4am ish last night with a few rest bites in between, amazing! Its just been moderate rain though with one heavy shower between 12:30-12:50pm.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh the things I'd do to get the 90's imports back! Hope this is the cusp of a similar era incoming. I'd sacrifice snow and cold for a mild winter if it means warmer SST's to start spring and summer off, which would likely help to support imported storms. Time will tell.

A friend of mine asked me a couple of years ago, "Lee, if  you could only have snow or thunderstorms, which would it be?" Immediately, without any thinking, I hollered "Snow!"

Within 24 hours I started thinking about it. Singapore v Svalbard? Air-conditioning v heating? Sweating v frozen toes and ears?

A life without thunderstorms?????........ I couldn't do it. No way José.

So, as much as I love snow, my heart tells me storms are the one I couldn't do without.

• Like 2

Posted

A friend of mine asked me a couple of years ago, "Lee, if  you could only have snow or thunderstorms, which would it be?" Immediately, without any thinking, I hollered "Snow!"

Within 24 hours I started thinking about it. Singapore v Svalbard? Air-conditioning v heating? Sweating v frozen toes and ears?

A life without thunderstorms?????........ I couldn't do it. No way José.

So, as much as I love snow, my heart tells me storms are the one I couldn't do without.

Same! I do love a good storm, they are such brilliant displays of natural power. Very nice to cool off in too, thats if you're abroad somewhere hot!!

• Like 1

Posted

If I had to choose between thunderstorms or snow? mmm, I guess it depends on the other waether too. If it just stormed 360 days a year constantly then that wouldn't be my cup of tea as you will have a vastly higher percentage of getting struck by lightning and if it snowed constantly we would be burried.I don't think I can choose.

Posted

Same! I do love a good storm, they are such brilliant displays of natural power. Very nice to cool off in too, thats if you're abroad somewhere hot!!

And every storm is different.

Snow - as much as I love it - is "just" snow. The product of a snowstorm is the same the world over.

(If anyone quotes this in the winter, when I'm upset that the snow has hit  Billericay/Rayleigh instead of Medway, I may have to slap them silly!)

• Like 1

Posted

If I had to choose between thunderstorms or snow? mmm, I guess it depends on the other waether too. If it just stormed 360 days a year constantly then that wouldn't be my cup of tea as you will have a vastly higher percentage of getting struck by lightning and if it snowed constantly we would be burried.I don't think I can choose.

What about thunder snow, only seen that once myself. The lightening looked different and the thunder sounded strange. Wouldn't want it all the time though, the snow was almost knee deep in about half hour.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

post-10773-0-03273600-1377384610_thumb.j

Posted Image I know what you mean really...I'm not sure I want to go back to the 90's though !

• Like 1

Posted

And every storm is different.

Snow - as much as I love it - is "just" snow. The product of a snowstorm is the same the world over.

(If anyone quotes this in the winter, when I'm upset that the snow has hit  Billericay/Rayleigh instead of Medway, I may have to slap them silly!)

Thats the thing, they all come in different shapes, form, size and structure. They are so unique and can be surprising! I just love them!

• Like 1

Posted

What about thunder snow, only seen that once myself. The lightening looked different and the thunder sounded strange. Wouldn't want it all the time though, the snow was almost knee deep in about half hour.

Never experienced it myself, snow rates don't get to that level around these parts. I have only seen it on youtube etc would love to experience it!I think ill opt for the third version and thats both... If I had the choice id move to the Northern United States somewhere like Minneapolis, or even in the Southern Canadian praires like Regina, Winnipeg or at a push Saskatoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Evening all

Well, what a washout of a day it's been here.  Started raining about 4am and rained most of the day, sometimes pretty heavily but mostly steadily.  We had a dry interlude of a couple of hours this evening but now it's raining again.  Went to a BBQ this afternoon and in true Brit style we all carried on under a ragbag collection of gazebos, umbrellas and gortex.  As the smoke from the BBQ swirled around with the rain it felt like a scene from the Hound of the Baskervilles, though the hosts' spaniel was a lot less scary than the creature from the moors!

Off to Pembrokeshire tomorrow for a week and the weather looks like it could be ok, possibly bordering on 'decent'. 

Enjoy the rest of the long weekend those of us lucky enough to be able to benefit

AS

I don't understand why we Brits carry on with BBQ's, even when forecasts show for days in advance that the weather is likely to be totally non BBQ weather - the Aussies must laugh at us.Posted Image  I think people would be better off rearranging to a pub (better environment, although more expensive drinks) followed by a decent takeaway (almost certainly way better food, although much more expensive)

Better to cancel the whole thing imho. We Brits tend not to though, even though the gatherings end up being a crowded pile of pants in someone's way too small lounge. I've cancelled my attendance for the last 15 years or so, when I've been invited to BBQ's with obviously poor weather. The people who invite you are quite glad, even if they might pretend otherwise (emperors new clothes etc.)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I don't understand why we Brits carry on with BBQ's, even when forecasts show for days in advance that the weather is likely to be totally non BBQ weather - the Aussies must laugh at us.Posted Image  I think people would be better off rearranging to a pub (better environment, although more expensive drinks) followed by a decent takeaway (almost certainly way better food, although much more expensive)

Better to cancel the whole thing imho. We Brits tend not to though, even though the gatherings end up being a crowded pile of pants in someone's way too small lounge. I've cancelled my attendance for the last 15 years or so, when I've been invited to BBQ's with obviously poor weather. The people who invite you are quite glad, even if they might pretend otherwise (emperors new clothes etc.)

I had a bbq today and crazy as it seems, the fact we managed to pull it off on a day like today will make it that little bit more memorable. The conservatory helped and the small children didn't care, dancing with abandon in the rain. In the small dry interludes, we all had a wander round the garden, the bbq burned under the garden umbrella hastiliy assembled and positioned over the coals, and it has at least been warm and not windy. All hail to the British Summer, whatever it may bring:)

• Like 5

Posted

No doubts today was exceptional for south Essex, I'd say its probably one of the driest parts of the country normally but today's line just sat and swang around and just kept redeveloping overhead for most of the day. Looking at the rainfall radar for the whole day, 100MM seems very plausible. It also seems to be somewhat pepping up again over the last 2-3hrs, though thankfully sightly further west this time round.

Posted

Anyone notice how sharp the line is from West London to Leicester? thats crazy what is causing that? The rain keeps falling almost at 22 hours of constant rain right now.

• Like 1

Posted

Heaviest rain we've had in the last 24 hours here at the moment - short wiggle of precip developed to the NE and has moved west to merge with the stuff over London.

Hope it clears off tomorrow though as have a BBQ to attend :D

Posted

The heavy line moving west has just finished here, still trying to work out where it came from, and whether it will be pushed back over here later by the main rain band it's merging with.

Posted

Places hit hardest in Essex are about to get round 2!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

60mm here now.

Posted

Anyone notice how sharp the line is from West London to Leicester? thats crazy what is causing that? The rain keeps falling almost at 22 hours of constant rain right now.

Still raining here making that 24 hours non-stop, got off lightly compared with some of those reports from Essex though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Can't sleep because of more heavy rain - weather station up to 100.8mm in last 24h.

It'd be interesting how wet that measurement represents. Put it this way, I can't remember a day in my life (in the UK) when I've experienced more than 50mm of rain in 24 hours. Would that be a more than a 1 in 100 years return, in terms of a 24 hour rainfall measure, for Essex?

We certainly had very heavy rain from about 3 o'clock till 6 yesterday afternoon, which caused huge puddles and local flooding, but nowhere near what you guys in south Essex experienced.

All in all, pretty memorable! Posted Image

Edited by Steve C