Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013 summaries and overall views

Posted

Tomorrow marks the official end of the meteorological summer... (though we often do see summery conditions occuring well into September).

Please use this thread to post your summaries and overall views on Summer 2013.

Its easily been the warmest since 2006 and quite probably the driest since 2006 (I don't have the stats), and consequently very different in feel to the last 6.

My own opinion is that it has been a good summer but not in the 'very good' category, similiar to the likes of 1996 and 2005, than 1995, 2003 and 2006 for instance.

July 2013 however, must go down as one of the best summer months in recent times, on a par with July 2006. The period between the 5th and 20th was glorious.

June was ok but rather cool. August not bad rather indifferent in these parts with no particular warmth, but also never particularly wet and cool.

Its been another quiet summer thunder wise and unlike recent summers thankfully devoid of any major flooding events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The best since 2006..nothing hard to beat there.For me it will be remembered for a great july ,just a shame june and august had no real spells of true summer periods between them other than it was dry.Just as this week,2 half cloudy days,one fully cloudy ,2cloudy with sunny spells,one starting autumnal and ending in summer and one day that was actually nice and sunny all day.....2013.Overall better than average but nothing exceptional!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

July and August have been consistently warm and dry here with some very warm spells during July but none of the hot temps that central and western parts saw. But still i was very happy with July and Almost as pleased with August which has been a very pleasant month of adequate sunshine and very little rainfall.

June was not that great here with some frequent spells of heavy rain during the second half of the month which threatened to tip the rainfall figures above average. But the first half was dry and rather sunny albeit quite cool.

Overall its been a very good summer. There has always been a settled and warm spell showing on the models which has made it a very easy and satisfying summer of model watching. It comes just behind 2006 but further behind 2003 which was very warm throughout. It beats 2005 though due to the spells of very cool weather that were present during that summer.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

Manchester summer index says best summer since 1995.

June and August were pretty reasonable with July as the standout.

This was not the case with 2006, as August was a poor month. So for me was not as good as some see it and the index bears this out. For England and Wales, it was the dullest August for 20 years, which shows, sunshine alone how mediocre that month was.

2003 was a good summer but during the exceptional heatwave of early August, only 3 days got 27C or above in that period here.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Certainly an improvement over the past few years, especially July, August rather less so and what part I saw of June, somewhat indifferent, though that was on the back of a cold spring.

For May and the first part of June we were in South France and particularly May was unseasonably cool for that part of the world.

We are down there again now since 24.08.2013 and the weather started reasonably ok but again slightly cooler than what I expected, though the last two days it has warmed up nicely to the upper 20's.

I haven't kept details or made a specific calculation but my impression is that most of Europe has been a little below par for most of the summer, though a hot spot did develop in parts of the Med region during August.

It would be interesting to see what the anomalies are, if any for this summer season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

June was generally cool although mostly dry. Early month was plagued by low cloud and cool temperatures by the omni-present NEly wind that had blown for almost 6 solid months by that point. A vigorous depression the weekend of the 22nd did its best to spoil my wedding but we luckily slotted in between rain bands and had a good day despite the force 9 gale. It then warmed up a bit for the end of the month and finally winter let go and summer began...

A super July only let down by cooler cloudier interludes of North Sea cloud during the early part of the month and also again the weekend of 20th which was outright grim. Otherwise one those spot on perfect summer months where you could almost rely on the weather to be decent - well except in any wet periods which all came on the back of some great storms with very heavy rain.

Overall a memorable month with the only gripes being the low cloud and the lack of high maxima- all caused by our good friend Mr Easterly wind... Best period 5th to the 19th - true top notch weather and just how it should be.

August has been extremely pleasant - its never been that warm (bar the 1st of the month which got my highest temp of 29.4c) but neither has it been cool bar a few chilly nights. Plenty of dry weather the whole month has made this a very usable summer month which after the last few years has been very welcomed indeed. It has felt very 'August-like' in so much its been mostly warm all the time but mostly cloudy - a typical story in recent years except this time without the rain. August weather does now seem to be the least variable with even bad years taming in August and good years being let down by it. It's like the pause button gets hit....

Overall - a good summer but certainly not in 1995/2003/2006 category at all. The only period that stood out was 5th-19th July with everything else (bar the 1 day beginning of August heatwave) being fairly average or in June's case pretty cool. If we took this summer as our 'norm' then sprinkled it with very occasional cack like the last few years and some perfection months like June+July 2006 + Aug 2003 I'd be very happy indeed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

At Durham University, the July results haven't came out yet, but June is provisionally at 13.4c, tied coolest with 2009 over the last 10 years. July was probably around 17-18c and August around average if not slightly above.

Warmest summer months in the last 30 years at Durham (1984-2012)

1. July 2006 18.3c

2. August 1995 17.2c

= August 1997 17.2c

4. August 1990 17.1c

5. July 1989 16.9c

I feel as though there may well be a chance that July 2013 ends up as one of the warmest summer months ever here, and in the top 5 of the last 30 years.

Coolest summer months in the last 30 years at Durham (1984-2012)

1. June 1991 11.3c

2. June 1985 11.4c

= June 1987 11.4c

4. August 1986 12.3c

5. June 2012 12.4c

No chance of any of the months entering the coolest months category, though I hadn't realised June 2012 had!

On a whole, it's been a good summer, not the best, but probably better than any of them since 2006 (though 2010 was good as well), June was dull, July was hot and sunny, and August has been relatively sunny and about average. 7/10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I have hated this summer as its been too hot but for some strange reason, so far I have only had about 10 spiders, no doubt they will increase in the coming weeks though as this is the season for them.

Posted

It's been a pretty decent summer for the Lake District. June was cool but dry, July was amazing, just a shame the breakdown wasn't more stormy then it would be described as exceptional! August has been OK but compared to most Augusts it has been pretty good.

For working outdoors it has been very good, I can only remember one properly wet day at the beginning of this month. Also living by a lake one noticeable thing has been the lack of wind, I've lost count of the number of days where the lake has been flat calm or just a few ripples. There has been a complete lack of autumnal gales, which is a good thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Today epitomises why this summer has irritated me so much - beautiful sunny start, followed by cloud later. Even getting a mostly sunny day is really hard now, and this NW flow is no better than the NE flow of June or parts of July. I just want to look outside and see a beautiful  blue sky with little cloud - why is that so hard to achieve? Grr! I hate cloud SO MUCH! If it isn't going to deliver a thunderstorm, it can bugger off. Filthy, disgusting grey scud. Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

June: I was still in Spain until the 10th so I can only comment from then on. June featured a few pleasantly sunny and warm days, notably the 19th, 25th and 29th but the rest was largely cloudy and cool and rather breezy at times too. Having said that, I may have a higher opinion of the month had I been here during the first ten days which experienced almost unbroken sunshine bar the 7th.

Negative points: not warm enough, too much cloud, too much wind, no heatwaves or thunderstorms

Positive points: pretty dry and much better than 2012

Overall - 6.5/10 (2012: 3/10 ; 2011: 5.5/10 ; 2010: 8/10)

July: For me, this was almost a perfect summer month. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5th-24th, not needing to worry about inclement weather ruining plans. I think it was also the longest run of consecutive sunny days ever to just enjoy in the back garden. It was also nice that only towards the end the humidity skyrocketed and most of the spell was quite a dry heat which is always a lot more pleasurable. Not forgetting to mention the fantastic thunderstorms in the early hours of my birthday (23rd).

Negative points: a run of too-cloudy days after the 25th, too much rain in the final week to call it a dry month, major event rained off on the 27th

Positive points: consistently warmer/hotter than average, very sunny, well timed for not going on holiday this year

Overall - 9/10 (2012: 5/10 ; 2011: 6.5/10 ; 2010: 7/10)

August: Without a doubt, a highly pleasant and very usable month with most of the rain concentrated in thunderstorms on the 2nd and 5th. Though, I would say it was an equally disappointing month considering how anticyclonic it has been yet also how cloudy it has been. I think I would have preferred convective downpour and sunny intervals days than days when cloud quickly bubbles up and spreads out to spoil the rest of the day.

Negative points: too much cloud, nearly every outdoor event ruined by rain, only one day of proper heat

Positive points: essentially dry, very usable weather, no 'rain all day' days

Overall - 6.5/10 (2012: 6/10 ; 2011: 6/10 ; 2010: 5/10)

Things that would make the summer better:

- At least one hot spell of more than 3 days in each month

- A few more thunderstorms spread out over the summer, not squashed within 2 weeks

- A lot more sunshine during June and August

Overall for the summer - 7.3/10 (just behind 2006's 7.5 whose much better June outweighed the poorer August)

Posted

One has to laugh at the comments on too much cloud-it is the UK after all, it is on the windward end of a very large area of water!

I suspect the Manchester index is going to be a pretty good indicator as to how the summer, taking the various factors into account, sun, temperatures, rainfall etc, will show when we get the official comments about the sunmmer around the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

One has to laugh at the comments on too much cloud-it is the UK after all, it is on the windward end of a very large area of water!

I know exactly where the UK is located thank you very much, but I am still going to moan and complain about the cloud, especially when other areas get a lot of sunshine and we get very little.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I suspect the Manchester index is going to be a pretty good indicator as to how the summer, taking the various factors into account, sun, temperatures, rainfall etc, will show when we get the official comments about the sunmmer around the UK.

As is France, as is Portugal, as is New Zealand, the list goes on. As this dig is probably partly aimed at me, I'll point out that my complaint of too much cloud is relative to the synoptics that were experienced. Most days of July featured high pressure and sunshine was plentiful. August continued the trend of high pressure, more so in the south (where I am) yet cloud bubbled up on almost all occasions. Had we had a raging Atlantic then I wouldn't be complaining about cloud, but rather at the synoptics themselves. My reference is to wasted settled weather. Not really laughable when it ruins what could be a nice day.

For me 8/10

July from previous threads.

Sun around 45% aobve average

Rain around 52% of average

Temps +1.5c to average

June

Sun around 10-15% above average

Rain around 53% of average

Temps around 0.2 to average

August from climate UK for Wales ( to 25th)

Sun aorund 10-15% below average, likely to stay similar to end of month

Rain around 142% of average, likely to be fall but still be above average.

Temps around 0.2 above average, likely to be around average.

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html (source as requested by Mr Eden)

So June 7/10

July 9/10

August 7/10

Would take this every summer not perfect and it could have been a classic summer.

Will update stats after tne end of month.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I think the general census is just as I keep batting on about the fact that however good or not good this year has been it has lacked any good spells of cloudless days particularly outside july.Am still baffled how it has got so high in the msi listings!

Posted

I think we need to wait for the official sunshine figures which will show just which areas had decent sunshine totals for the summer as a whole and those that faired less well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

The July period was excellent, so pleasant. What I would call a real British Summer. Tippled off in August apart from the first day and the odd days here and there. Still an above average August compared to as of late. June was decent with quite a few warm days. 

Still life left in this Summer though. Summer doesn't stop as soon as it hits September 1st. Contrary to what many believe, September is a Summer month.  

Overall I'd say it's been a very good Summer. Just hope we don't have to wait another seven years for another one. Hopefully this is the start of a return to hot British summers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

I agree John, with Manchester located almost in the centre of the UK and not too influenced by the coast we usually get elements of everything all year round from most directions, so should be a good indicator.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

in a word.... inconsistent.

was it the best sumer since 06?... yes... but it was inconsistent, not everyone got all the sun/warmth others did, some areas missed out on the best whilst others basked, we had cloud breaks, unwelcome ones at that. june was nothing special although early june was eventually sunny warm and dry. august was spoilt by too much cloud.

to me, the mark of a good summer is one where everyone enjoys it, without spoiler days, where near enough the whole country gets the sun/heat, as in 76, 83, 95 etc. so summer 13 wasnt a 'great' summer, apart from 3 interrupted weeks in july, it really wasnt anything special.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

so?

cloud amounts directly effect sunshine and temp levels, so if we are being asked 'how good a summer was it' then commenting of 'too much' cloud is pertenant. we know we are likely to get it, we know its 'normal' , but it still puts a spoiler on summer sun/heat!

Posted

my own brief summary based on a daily weather diary with details of temperature and rainfall but I have no sunshine recorder.

June=close to average T's for Cantley, some nice warm days and fairly dry but offset by a number of days with low cloud off the North Sea

July=the warmest month in the 18 years of records in my back garden, better than both 1997 and 2006, fairly dry again the joint 3rd driest; 8 consecutive days with Max T over 28C and 20 days in the month over 25C

August= some very warm days and muggy nights giving above average for here with Max, Min and Mean, another fairly dry month with just 1 really wet day, 2 storms as well, 1 in both June and July.

Overall I would rate it a dryish summer, June had several days with N Sea low cloud spoiling both sun and temperature otherwise I seemed to spend a lot of time watering-not something I did in 2012.

Not yet got the actual statistics for the summer to hand.

August Stats based on Mumbles weather Station

Stats compared to 1981-2010 - 30 year average

Max Temps  19.9 (+0.2c)

Min Temps 15.0 (+1.0c)

Rain 128.6mm (153% of average)

Dry Days: 16Wet Days: 15Days With Rain >1.0mm:  12 (+1 day)Days With Rain >10mm: 3

Of the rainfall, this was very heavily concentrated on the weekend of the 4th/5th August with 76mm of rain falling in 48hrs, which more than exceeds the enitre rainfall of June and July combined.

In terms of sunshine

152.7hrs   85%  Aberporth        205.0hrs  107%  St Athan

If we were to do this for entire summer

Stats compared to 1981-2010 - 30 year average

Max Temps  19.7 (+0.6c)

Min Temps 14.0 (+0.8c)

Rain 196.4mm (89% of average)

Dry Days:  55Wet Days: 37Days With Rain >1.0mm:  29 (-2 day)Days With Rain >10mm: 4

Of the rainfall, this was very heavily concentrated on the weekend of the 4th/5th August with 76mm of rain falling in 48hrs, which more than exceeds the enitre rainfall of June and July combined.

In terms of sunshine - adjusted for missing days

660hrs  112%  Aberporth (1)      693hrs  109%  St Athan (10) - this probably understimates sun at St Athan

So overall warmer than average, drier than average and sunnier than average.

Edited by J10