Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I remember everyone complaining their car batteries had drained in a matter of hours that night with the depth of the cold. I was loving it. Also my other half (at the time) was buying a car and I remember the salesman saying all the brakes had locked up on the cars on the forecourt as they were frozen solid. Exceptional for the UK.

someone is having you on the brakes on the cars do not freeze up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I'll always remember the colour the sky stayed that whole day, it was a baby pink with a cold mist that lay over the ground around a foot deep.

It didn't seem as cold as it was even though the thermometers at work read -17'c, it was a very 'dry cold'.

The daytime temps only got up to -7'c, our coldest since 1981 I think?

it's on youtube, so just copy and paste the title into google

No man my video wouldn't load lol Posted Image

Posted

I'm hoping for a 78/79 style of winter though 2009/10 was another exceptional one but didn't deliver the amounts of snow that 78/79 did IMBY. Hopefully this winter will be far better than the last two which were pretty pants around these parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Error loading vid.

Mods please delete this post (above that says error loading vid)

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

someone is having you on the brakes on the cars do not freeze up!

Well that's what he said! I'm no mechanic though lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I'm hoping for a 78/79 style of winter though 2009/10 was another exceptional one but didn't deliver the amounts of snow that 78/79 did IMBY. Hopefully this winter will be far better than the last two which were pretty pants around these parts.

Your right 78/79 certainly did deliver in the parts and few winter storms since have come even close although March 23 2013 give me probably the best blizzard since February 1979 but only a few miles away there was hardly any.

Posted

Your right 78/79 certainly did deliver in the parts and few winter storms since have come even close although March 23 2013 give me probably the best blizzard since February 1979 but only a few miles away there was hardly any.

Lol, I know I vividly remember the heartache it caused in the regional thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

2009-2010 is a Winter that I think is completely overlooked ... I see people time and time again say 'it was the best Winter for a long long time but I've seen better' 

When really, you cannot get much better than that. 

Anything better is once in a lifetime stuff. 

As for the outlook models (CFS, Jam) ... if I was a fan of mild weather in Winter I'd be rather worried! 

Things can change though. Let's see shall we! 

But things do look rather slim for a mild Winter .. no one could possibly argue 

Edited by SnowySouthPennines

Posted

No matter what its like this winter,all i know is next spring i'll be back to owing £800 on me gas bill,grrrrrrrr sob.

Posted

Well that's what he said! I'm no mechanic though lol

They can only freeze if they contaminated with water then freeze,that cant really happen with modern disc brakes,probably didn't want you going out in icy conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Lol, I know I vividly remember the heartache it caused in the regional thread.

Here's another couple of pictures from March this year.

post-9027-0-53347100-1378150322_thumb.jp

post-9027-0-85702900-1378150458_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

2009-2010 is a Winter that I think is completely overlooked ... I see people time and time again say 'it was the best Winter for a long long time but I've seen better' 

As for the outlook models (CFS, Jam) ... if I was a fan of mild weather in Winter I'd be rather worried! 

Lets hope the weather follows the script then.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Check this run out if you like frontal / trough snow events, Some serious snow for high ground from this run.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=2160&mode=0&carte=0&run=0

• Like 1

Posted

once in a lifetime stuff??

1940,1947,1955,1963,1979,1981,1986,2010 are not once in a lifetime....we have just gone a couple of decades milder!

Posted

2009-2010 is a Winter that I think is completely overlooked ... I see people time and time again say 'it was the best Winter for a long long time but I've seen better' When really, you cannot get much better than that.  Anything better is once in a lifetime stuff.  As for the outlook models (CFS, Jam) ... if I was a fan of mild weather in Winter I'd be rather worried!  Things can change though. Let's see shall we!  But things do look rather slim for a mild Winter .. no one could possibly argue

I'd imagine that most recent winters have delivered for you, they certainly have a bit further north IMBY and maybe the pattern is set for another rinse and repeat this coming winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Check this run out if you like frontal / trough snow events, Some serious snow for high ground from this run.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=2160&mode=0&carte=0&run=0

Fun and games with a 960mb undercutting low around the 15th december, lovely eye candy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Absolutely, I wouldn't class last winter as severe at all. The biggest deviation from the norm came in a spring month.

I suspect the second half of Jan may have had the biggest deviation as it did average something like -1.5C (that may have only being the 15th-25th main cold period actually).

Early Jan 2010 was undoubtedly the best period of winter weather I've ever experienced. That night of the 6th/7th was surreal. To experience lows of -15C and hearing of places in the -20s is amazing for the UK.

That was epic. The 5th or 6th saw my biggest fall of 21cm in 10 hours, leading to my biggest total of 29cm.

Posted

No question if I had lived here that the 09/10 winter would have pushed 91 and 87 very hard and certainly of beat it for consistency.

Posted

to be honest although last winter was quite mild in parts  the amount of snow  we had here was impressive,  id bank that for this winter as well,  with maybe a more seasonal christmas

Posted

to be honest although last winter was quite mild in parts  the amount of snow  we had here was impressive,  id bank that for this winter as well,  with maybe a more seasonal Christmas

Yes it was good one last year but was very localised, for Instance Manchester had virtually zip but we had loads, It depends if you Include March, witgout March I class it as an above average to decent one without being spectacular, if you include March then it makes it top 10 of all time, maybe as high as 7th or 6th. The period from Mid Jan to Early April, you have to say was corking, we only missed out on a stonking December by a gnats ____  as well, I think a lot of people on here were disappointed because the expectation was so high and also because the areas where the highest concentration of members are didn't do as well as areas further West and also Northern England and the Midlands.

Posted

Yes it was good one last year but was very localised, for Instance Manchester had virtually zip but we had loads, It depends if you Include March, witgout March I class it as an above average to decent one without being spectacular, if you include March then it makes it top 10 of all time, maybe as high as 7th or 6th. The period from Mid Jan to Early April, you have to say was corking, we only missed out on a stonking December by a gnats ____  as well, I think a lot of people on here were disappointed because the expectation was so high and also because the areas where the highest concentration of members are didn't do as well as areas further West and also Northern England and the Midland

agreed,  the drama of the models last year was also very impressive  right from

the get go  with the failed easterlies  in october of cause winter is always about the possibility of cold weather but model watching through those months is pulsating.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I would like to see a repeat of 09/10, the minimas were astonishingly low! 

The snow we had earlier this year though was phenomenal for a variety of the country too. Remember on the South coast on March 11th, an undercutting channel low gave us some phenomenal heavy talcon powder snow for an 18 hour period when I was living in Portsmouth! Some parts of the South Downs were virtually cut off, and other parts like East Sussex and Kent got absolutely clobbered! The windchill was the real noticeable thing though, never felt a wind as cold as that ever I don't think!

Posted

I'll refrain from posting in this thread for quite a few weeks, but as I'm in reminiscence mode, I'll post this -

Last winter was notable for the length of cold rather than the depth of cold. The cold set in during the latter part of November with a lovely cold frosty spell which lasted well into December, however, we did see a very mild wet 4 week spell from 14th December to mid January with one of the mildest christmas-new year periods on record... not a spell I would like to see repeated it was quite ghastly in my opinion.

The 15th-25th January whilst cold and snowy saw many 'dry frosts' thanks to the very dry air - many a morning I woke up to a grey scene despite temps well below freezing.

February saw sporadic patchy snow and further 'dry frosts' and was consistently cold rather than freezing cold.

March was preety exceptional despite a mild start.

Personally I rate winter 09/10 as my favourite since 95/96, despite taking a bit of time to get going, it was a notably cold one with proper freezing spells and heavy snowfall. Winter 10/11 whilst it saw an epic spell from about the 22nd Nov to 28th Dec thereafter was dissapointingly mild particularly the latter half of Jan and whole of February.

My thoughts right now though are firmly on Autumn, awaiting that first air frost and that first morning when you step outside and feel that first real nip in the air.. also awaiting the first new snow of the season appearing on the fells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

2009-10 was very good. December 17 onwards, quite a bit of snow and temps below -5c at times. 10cms new snow overnight to start off the new year, which was superb; and then very cold on the nights following- only 34cms of snow lying at the peak of the spell, fantastic. February was also cold but not as snowy.

2010-11 I preferred. November 25-December 25 has to be the best 30 day period ever here in NE England. Top snow depth 42cms, lowest temperature imby was -12.2c, and this on low ground. January was average and February was mild, but the snow before Christmas made it worthwhile.

2011-12 was pretty horrible. Only December 16 and February 3/4 provided snow, and the depth didn't actually pass 1cm. Granted, some low temperatures early in February, and a very interesting December, but nothing special snow-wise.

2012-13 I enjoyed, but probably not as much as statistics would show. December was okay, not the best, quite mild at times, January was very cold, a couple of ice days, but the cloud made it pretty benign, despite a top snow depth of 15cms, there was intermittent snow spells, but low diurnal ranges and sleet at times spoiled that spell, which was good at times. February again was pretty cold, but March was better. Even in March, nothing to shout about here in the NE.

In the last 30 years, at Durham University:

coldest November (3.3c 1985, 1993) warmest November (8.7c 2011)

coldest December (-0.3c 2010) warmest December (7.3c 1988)

coldest January (0.7c 1987) warmest January (6.3c 1989, 2007)

coldest February (-0.6c 1986) warmest February (7.6c 1998)

coldest March (2.4c 2013) warmest March (8.2c 1990)

Posted

Another thought is I wonder if netweather will still do a video forecast or not now Stewarts gone, I don't even know the name of the person who has replaced the godfather of teleconnections.