Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted

Worth remembering that if the vortex does start to set up later this month / November in an unfavourable location, it will be susceptible to to being broken up by eg. wave events unlike a fully fledged PV sat over 65N 18W in January which is far more robust and resilient.

Posted

Let's not forget October and November 2009 - increasingly wet and very mild at first. Then look what happened as the Atlantic gave way to blocking in December. Best not get too worried about the PV being over Greenland in late October. I'd rather that than undercutting lows with beautiful snowy synoptics too early in the season.

i was just thinking that myself as i'm watching the rain belting down.

something to think about-

"

The winter of 1963 - the coldest for more than 200 years

With temperatures so cold the sea froze in places, 1963 is one of the coldest winters on record. Bringing blizzards, snow drifts, blocks of ice, and temperatures lower than -20 °C, it was colder than the winter of 1947, and the coldest since 1740.

It began abruptly just before Christmas in 1962. The weeks before had been changeable and stormy, but then on 22 December a high pressure system moved to the north-east of the British Isles, dragging bitterly cold winds across the country. This situation was to last much of the winter."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/teens/case-studies/severe-winters

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

With the best of will in the world to Gavin P who does does have some decent meteorological knowledge...that's a forecast I'm sure we could all make? Posted Image

SK

But it's, arguably, all that's really possible (from a scientific perspective) this early in the season...Better being honest than ramping-up the unknown, SK?Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

nice satellite pic of the low pressure in the north sea today hopefully we see a few features like this come winter dragging seriously cold air from the continent and giving us all plenty of snow

post-18233-0-38562900-1381678529_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

nice satellite pic of the low pressure in the north sea today hopefully we see a few features like this come winter dragging seriously cold air from the continent and giving us all plenty of snow

Posted ImageBWd3zsrCIAA3QXH.jpg

I hope so! Today in a large area of the Netherlands between 40-60mm of rainfall. Some stations even higher in the southwest corner even higher.

Edited by sebastiaan1973

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Nice work BFTV - hats off to you for grinding through the CFS Data and making it more meaningful. Look forward to further updates.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

@BFTV

When you say +1.8 for November and +2.3 for December what are you referring too?

The average rankings for the pressure anomalies in the green box (first image), briefly discussed below the first image. They go from +5 for exceptional high pressure anomaly, to 0 for neutral and -5 exceptional low pressure anomaly.

So the average November ranking (from +5 to -5) between September 22nd and October 12th, based on the 12z CFS, is +1.8, with December averaging +2.3, both in the moderate high pressure anomaly/moderate blocking category.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Posted

The average rankings for the pressure anomalies in the green box (first image), briefly discussed below the first image. They go from +5 for exceptional high pressure anomaly, to 0 for neutral and -5 exceptional low pressure anomaly.

So the average November ranking (from +5 to -5) between September 22nd and October 12th, based on the 12z CFS, is +1.8, with December averaging +2.3, both in the moderate high pressure anomaly/moderate blocking category.

Hope that helps.

Lol, I think Gavin was hoping you meant temps being above the CET average BFTV.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Hope that helps.

Thanks that helps greatly

:)

Lol, I think Gavin was hoping you meant temps being above the CET average BFTV.

I knew it wasn't temps as these were pressure charts I just didn't know what BFTV meant by +1.8 for November and +2.3 for December

I do now though

Posted

Thanks that helps greatly

Posted Image

I knew it wasn't temps as these were pressure charts I just didn't know what BFTV meant by +1.8 for November and +2.3 for December

I do now though

I know Gav, I was ribbing you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Hope that helps.

Great stuff

Will you run the November blocking forecast from Sept 22nd to 31st Oct and see how it turns out ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Great stuff

Will you run the November blocking forecast from Sept 22nd to 31st Oct and see how it turns out ?

Cheers.

I'll keep updating it on a daily basis and post the graphs and data up here every now and then.

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

What has happened to Ian F?

Has he been gagged or more likely simply had enough of us lot misquoting 'shannon entropy'?

You could call people like me a very hurtful person then because I pray for a Madden winter, so you could say im wishing for people to be dead in a roundabout way, but my argument is that heat kills many more people in the world than cold and people say its ok to pray for that, I remember Ian fergusson last December saying how could anyone be celebrating THAT ECM when it would almost certainly result in death, yet he likes thunderstorms!! I know there was a thread on this a long while ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

Any danger you could re-post this in English please?

james madden is Accuracy is very good at points he known that a mild spell was going to happen next week.We have to wait and see we could see a winter of are lifetime+ or just a boring old hot winter.

Edited by Skyraker
  • Like 3

Posted

Nice work BFTV - hats off to you for grinding through the CFS Data and making it more meaningful. Look forward to further updates.

yes agree with those comments L-thanks BFTV, trend is the only real use of these and it does illustrate this quite well.

• Like 1

Posted

re the qu from BFTP this morning

It is as far as I can remember not a usual pattern with +ve heights and -ve heights underneath but maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

As to what follows-search me lad, IF it had been pursued for 3 days or more than blocking to the north and lower heights south of it, suggesting a 500mb flow from a point east of north.

However if you log on to the NOAA version this evening the 6-10 has modified this idea almost to the point of extinction! Never ever believe ANY model on ONE output. Look for trends.

Edited by johnholmes