Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Indeed, but rarely from the East in my neck of the woods.Posted Image

Same here, Easterlies never make it to my end. Western central belt. It all gets dumped over the moors and I end up with bugger all lol.

Posted

The CFS model seems to be churning out more less cold solutions for the coming winter than previously, with January still looking like the favourite for a lengthy cold spell from mid month onwards. I would say by my reckoning it now favours a 55%-45% in favour of a colder than average winter overall, one thing of concern from a coldies perspective is the warm Atlantic with little signs of a Tripole developing as of yet.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The CFS model seems to be turning out more less cold solutions for the coming winter than previously, with January still looking like the favourite for a lengthy cold spell from mid month onwards. I would say by my reckoning it now favours a 55%-45% in favour of a colder than average winter overall, one thing of concern from a coldies perspective is the warm Atlantic with little signs of a Tripole developing as of yet.

I wouldn't like to call it yet but if you forced me to make a prediction right now I would go a little cold spell in Mid Nov then Dec slightly above average, Jan slightly above, Feb well below average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I wouldn't like to call it yet but if you forced me to make a prediction right now I would go a little cold spell in Mid Nov then Dec slightly above average, Jan slightly above, Feb well below average.

If we get a lot of westerlies this winter then your call wouldn't be far off IMO

Posted

I hope not feb91, the last two so called cold February's weren't up to much round here, but if we can get a nice big fat Greenland High then it will be worth the wait, it's unlikely though with a west based QBO any heights would no doubt be over to our NE, unfortunately.

• Like 2

Posted

I hope not feb91, the last two so called cold February's weren't up to much round here, but if we can get a nice big fat Greenland High then it will be worth the wait, it's unlikely though with a west based QBO any heights would no doubt be over to our NE, unfortunately.

Isn't that how winter 62/63 started — heights to the NE?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

The CFS model seems to be churning out more less cold solutions for the coming winter than previously, with January still looking like the favourite for a lengthy cold spell from mid month onwards. I would say by my reckoning it now favours a 55%-45% in favour of a colder than average winter overall, one thing of concern from a coldies perspective is the warm Atlantic with little signs of a Tripole developing as of yet.

As long as the Jet takes the energy from the Atlantic south, I will not complain.  If not, we could face the situation whereby cold sits off to our east and the Atlantic drives over us, bringing us months of rain.  Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

British weather services initial Winter Planning Forecasts, both National and Regional will be issued by months end

To early for high confidence but the Nov armageddon touted in some quarters looks a little OTT....to say the least!

https://twitter.com/BritWeatherSvs

• Like 1

Posted

I hope for a feb 91!!!!!!!!!.

That's where a tiny bit of difference in location can make all the difference with wishes because I will always gamble with a Scandinavian high, higher risk, higher quality threshold, but most rewarding if the perfect one comes off.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

looks more Greenland based to me.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I hope for a feb 91!!!!!!!!!.

That's where a tiny bit of difference in location can make all the difference with wishes because I will always gamble with a Scandinavian high, higher risk, higher quality threshold, but most rewarding if the perfect one comes off.

Could you use a different text colour? that is very hard to read

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Yep.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's why I don't really take notice of any LRFs. The most you can hope for is that you have a decent cold pool to tap into and then the synoptics set themselves up favourably when the time comes. Nobody can do that at this range. Least of all the Complete Fairytale System.

Even the good models in the reliable timeframe had us sat under a Euro High for the foreseeable at the start of the month.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 1

Posted

British weather services initial Winter Planning Forecasts, both National and Regional will be issued by months end

To early for high confidence but the Nov armageddon touted in some quarters looks a little OTT....to say the least!

Lol, so  we could be looking at night time frost and a few isolated wintry showers then.

It's fine Gav as I don't like what it says.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I think, looking at the strat thread, that the general consensus is for mid-late winter cold (if any of course). However, I have a sneaking suspicion that December may actually throw a few surprises our way. In fact, I don't even think November is nailed on mild and wet at this stage. If you remember a couple of weeks ago I posted that I thought there would be a period of wet and potentially stormy weather before progressively colder through November? Well it looks like the first part of that scenario may be on its way...

Posted Image

The CFS for November isn't exactly inspiring

post-10987-0-13489700-1381849995_thumb.p

The NAO is as positive as you can get there.....with the jet pushed well north and European ridging. However, November and December are 2 months the model cannot seem to fathom. Up until a week or so ago a strong +ve anomaly was shown to the NE and occasionally to the NW for the month of November.

Personally I'd wait and see what the next Glosea4 model update has to say (due in the next couple of days) before making any firm utterances as to how Nov and Dec may pan out.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

could you use a different text type or colour for your 'Darlington stats' line as it is annoyingly easy to read !

• Like 1

Posted

I think, looking at the strat thread, that the general consensus is for mid-late winter cold (if any of course). However, I have a sneaking suspicion that December may actually throw a few surprises our way. In fact, I don't even think November is nailed on mild and wet at this stage. If you remember a couple of weeks ago I posted that I thought there would be a period of wet and potentially stormy weather before progressively colder through November? Well it looks like the first part of that scenario may be on its way...

Posted Image

Posted Imageurgh.png

The NAO is as positive as you can get there.....with the jet pushed well north and European ridging. However, November and December are 2 months the model cannot seem to fathom. Up until a week or so ago a strong +ve anomaly was shown to the NE and occasionally to the NW for the month of November.

Personally I'd wait and see what the next Glosea4 model update has to say (due in the next couple of days) before making any firm utterances as to how Nov and Dec may pan out.

Yes its sods law that that the first part of your forecast will hit 100% on the heidke scale at over a month away, as good as any pro crewe!

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Imageurgh.png

My big concern is those temp profiles in the North Atlantic, yes there's time for further developments but as it stands Roger J Smiths call could be a very good one.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

My big concern is those temp profiles in the North Atlantic, yes there's time for further developments but as it stands Roger J Smiths call could be a very good one.

where abouts is Rogers Forecast?Thanks in advance. Edited by bobafet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

As others may have noticed, there's been quite a change in the CFS charts for November in recent days.

Posted Image

An explanation for the chart is here

The 5 day mean has now dipped below 0 (indicating more low pressure to the north). The trend has gone much more strongly downward. A temporary blip or the beginning of a trend towards a more zonal November (which would certainly help with my November forecast!)?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

if im right I think 63 winter was Greenland blocking infact Greenland through Iceland I believe,as for this winter for awhile things looked as if they might be heading down the right path but although not an 100% connection solar activity has risen dramatically and as has been suggested a west based QBO with signs of the vortex heading towards Greenland the most we could hope for is more of the same as whats coming in the next ten days.

a north arctic flow is something we can pin hopes on cold snaps rather than cold spells but nothing is certain in the world of weather but I did post my thoughts and my hopes are not high back then I got a little more excited seeing the growth in ice and snow across the northern hemisphere but that looks like it could take a dramatic dive in the next month or so.

but id love to be wrong. so I go average November above December average jan above feb and below march.

Posted

if im right I think 63 winter was Greenland blocking infact Greenland through Iceland I believe,as for this winter for awhile things looked as if they might be heading down the right path but although not an 100% connection solar activity has risen dramatically and as has been suggested a west based QBO with signs of the vortex heading towards Greenland the most we could hope for is more of the same as whats coming in the next ten days.

a north arctic flow is something we can pin hopes on cold snaps rather than cold spells but nothing is certain in the world of weather but I did post my thoughts and my hopes are not high back then I got a little more excited seeing the growth in ice and snow across the northern hemisphere but that looks like it could take a dramatic dive in the next month or so.

but id love to be wrong. so I go average November above December average jan above feb and below march.

to see what happened its easy, simply go to wetter and click on the past data, msl-500mb and 850mb temperatures day by day?

Not sure if Net Wx now have this facility as far back as then?