Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whats after death?

joggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think some kind of 'mind expanding' experience is a must for a person? I'm not talking about doing it for laughs ( as most folk appear to focus on) but to allow you another perspective other than the one you're saddled with.

As for Mushy and BFTV, I'd have totally agreed 20 odd years ago but then I had my 'moment' and that has rather expanded that '!%' somewhat!

I have no 'theories' to put forward but I know both ends of the religious depends upon ' belief ' in something we are not able to prove.

Personally i would think it rather arrogant of any human being to think themselves able to comprehend the 'being' of everything? We struggle with our own universe as it is never mind 'befores' and 'afters'.

At the end of the day it's all down to that which 'helps' you the most be it fundamentalism or Spiritual denialism.

As with anything in life though I'd personally 'caution' against thinking you have 'the answer' as those tricky beasties change with every new personal discovery you make on your journey!

• Like 3

Posted

I think some kind of 'mind expanding' experience is a must for a person? I'm not talking about doing it for laughs ( as most folk appear to focus on) but to allow you another perspective other than the one you're saddled with.

I'd go along with that. At the time I was in the throes of severe emotional turmoil for reasons I won't go into, and was searching for answers/reasons etc. I can't say the same for my mates who went along for the ride and that, I think is what sullied the whole experience in the end. Anyway,apart from the initial giggling-fit once the ol' Liberty Caps start to kick in, I don't think there's anything humorous about the ensuing 'trip'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it's true that many of us prefer, in the absence of conclusive evidence either way, to believe in some form of life or consciousness after death because it makes death more palatable than if you believe that you die and that's it.  However, that in itself is not sufficient evidence to refute the idea out of hand.  I like to think that there is something, but with my 'realistic' hat on, I reckon that if if there is something, an afterlife of the sort described in many religions probably isn't it.

CatchMyDrift's suggestion about DNA is interesting, for the re-uptake of human matter into other organisms reminds me of the idea of reincarnation, but here of course there is a scientific rationale behind it rather than humans being reincarnated depending on how they behaved in a previous life.

• Like 1

Posted

CatchMyDrift's suggestion about DNA is interesting, for the re-uptake of human matter into other organisms reminds me of the idea of reincarnation, but here of course there is a scientific rationale behind it rather than humans being reincarnated depending on how they behaved in a previous life.

In other words, there's nowt new under the sun! I may well 'come back' as a Tesco carrier bag or an elephants ear. Round and round we go...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I'd go along with that. At the time I was in the throes of severe emotional turmoil for reasons I won't go into, and was searching for answers/reasons etc. I can't say the same for my mates who went along for the ride and that, I think is what sullied the whole experience in the end. Anyway,apart from the initial giggling-fit once the ol' Liberty Caps start to kick in, I don't think there's anything humorous about the ensuing 'trip'.

oh ive nearly died laughing on shrooms... i laughed at my legs! ive never laughed so hard... but i prefer to lie back in a darkend room and let the colours and repetitive sounds take me away to la la land (and back lol). the worlds such a cold, dull, quiet,  empty place when you come down.

• Like 1

Posted

oh ive nearly died laughing on shrooms... i laughed at my legs! ive never laughed so hard...

I've never laughed at my legs, but did laugh at my buddy who very nearly did find out about the afterlife when he dived over a hedge into what he thought was the ocean, but instead did a faceplant into what turned out to be a bowling green...then the spiders came and got him.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

When I die, it means I'll be stuck in the No Storms Club for even more of an eternity.

Great...just great.

"God is, or He is not.†But to which side shall we incline? Reason can decide nothing here. There is an infinite chaos which separated us. A game is being played at the extremity of this infinite distance where heads or tails will turn up... Which will you choose then? Let us see. Since you must choose, let us see which interests you least. You have two things to lose: the true and the good; and two things to stake: your reason and your will, your knowledge and your happiness; and your nature has two things to avoid: error and wretchedness. Since you must necessarily choose, your reason is no more affronted by choosing one rather than the other. That is one point cleared up. But your happiness? Let us weigh up the gain and the loss involved in calling heads that God exists. Let us assess the two cases: if you win, you win everything: if you lose, you lose nothing. Do not hesitate then: wager that he does exist.

Let us see. Since there is an equal risk of gain and of loss, if you had only to gain two lives, instead of one, you might still wager. But if there were three lives to gain, you would have to play (since you are under the necessity of playing), and you would be imprudent, when you are forced to play, not to chance your life to gain three at a game where there is an equal risk of loss and gain. If you are unable to believe, it is because of your passions since reason impels you to believe and yet you cannot do so. Concentrate then not on convincing yourself by multiplying proofs of God's existence but by diminishing your passions. You want to find faith, and you do not know the road. You want to be cured of unbelief, and you ask for the remedy: learn from those who were once bound like you and who now wager all they have.  They behaved just as if they did believe. - Blaise Pascal

Posted

"The chief problem about death, incidentally, is the fear that there may be no afterlife -- a depressing thought, particularly for those who have bothered to shave. Also, there is the fear that there is an afterlife but no one will know where it's being held".

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Stephen Hawking says that it's theoretically possible to copy brain on to computer to provide life after death,  but that the idea of a conventional afterlife is a fairy tale.

http://ning.it/15iqpil

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I've never laughed at my legs, but did laugh at my buddy who very nearly did find out about the afterlife when he dived over a hedge into what he thought was the ocean, but instead did a faceplant into what turned out to be a bowling green...then the spiders came and got him.

lol great isnt it! we spent ages on chrimbo evening, outside, staring into a puddle, convinced that it was a hole into another universe because we could see stars reflected in it! its like the ground we were standing on was really very thin.

• Like 1

Posted

Climate change.

True,true... just like it was here before us and will be with us long after we're gone and for as long as the sun and moon are in the sky. You seem to be getting a little obsessed,knocks. Y'alright bud?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I bet most people don't believe that when other animals die they have an afterlife. I highly doubt anyone believes theres a centipede heaven, so why would it be any different for humans?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

"The chief problem about death, incidentally, is the fear that there may be no afterlife -- a depressing thought, particularly for those who have bothered to shave. Also, there is the fear that there is an afterlife but no one will know where it's being held".

Normally the Nags Head I thought?

• 10 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

I'd like to believe there is something fruitful and positive, but more likely than not it would be just as it was before we were born. Having a little faith wouldn't hurt though.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

I believe we get reincarnated, once we die, we are then reborn as another human or an animal. That is why no one can remember their past life because they've got a different brain/body. So basically you respawn as another being.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

A lot of near death experiences seem to be blissful experiences of people in their "happy places" like ones of people drinking beer watching their sports team, I think it's the difference between lonely and alone, I think after dead you could well be alone but if you're alone and unaware you're alone in a way because you're enjoying something that you enjoy doing forever and instead of it being linked chemically, it's almost spiritual so you just can't not be in a blissful state. However, there's also been some unhappy near death experiences and ones with other people in them that are happy. I think it's almost a personal choice your mind or if there's a God, God makes where it's based off how happy your are in life. The pursuit of happiness is in my opinion, the closest we'll get to a meaning of life.  Like that guys experience of drinking beer and watching sports, a lot of people who do that (but only drink beer at that time) are happy people, not all but if you see a lot of them talking online, that is their own "happy place" and so maybe if you find you own "happy place" that's where you'll end up. I'm only 16 so I don't know what my happiness truly is yet, maybe it'll be watching football with my dad, watching comedies over and over again and still laughing at every joke, watching Southampton if I can get to more than 1 game, playing cricket, storm chasing and hopefully with my favourite storm chasers, writing songs or with hopefully my future wife doing whatever we do, I hope that's where I end up. I also remember one where it was this guy who was just a butterfly floating through a meadow and honestly, that sounds like such fun. Just imagine no limits fun. If death has a soundtrack that'd be amazing as well, Pink Floyd, Kendrick Lamar, Nas, Lauryn Hill all playing music would be incredible.Like just imagine death as a better life without jobs to do. That's what I hope.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

I find an odd level of comfort in knowing that there's nothing. This makes it really difficult to cope with losing a loved one but makes the thought of death a lot less terrifying, your capacity to worry about it ceases to exist as does everything else.

Edit: fair to say, I'm a strongly irreligious atheist. My extended family are also irreligious and atheist.

Edited by raz.org.rain
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Lots of different views on here.

I am a Christian,  therefore the death of my body holds no fear for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I share this view.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I share this view.

10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

There have been a lot of near death experiences that describe meeting some angel of sorts, don't think there's many that have a God meeting in them but then again these are near death experiences and then some that haven't with either so it's hard to work out whose making it up and who isn't but I think it shows that about half of scientists believe in a God and that's supposed to be one of the biggest Atheist "groups" of people.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

If my cats keep waking me up at stupid o'clock i will be dead soon, so I will let everyone know. Hope they have Uber Eats in hell/heaven

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
On 24/09/2013 at 00:14, Polar Maritime said:

Stephen Hawking says that it's theoretically possible to copy brain on to computer to provide life after death,  but that the idea of a conventional afterlife is a fairy tale.

http://ning.it/15iqpil

The new version of AI